Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Reloading is a great idea; we started 2 years ago. Our only problem right now is getting primers is just as hard as buying ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
This is a good point, Mike. The biggest problem with reloading, at the moment, is component availability. Primers are currently difficult to obtain in most areas, and the places that do have them want a small fortune for them.

46Barb, and JDavid - Actually finding primers, and certain gun powders were hard to find, since Obama and anti-gun politicians were elected, and I know up until a couple of months ago, it was really hard to find those components. But the problem seems to have subsided. I'm now able to find primers, and most gun powders at my favorite gun stores, but they're more expensive now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 02:18 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I wish I had some investment money because I would definitely start up my own ammo company. It seems that they sell everything they make almost instantly. Hopefully it slows down in the near future, but I'm not hodling my breath. We had zero guns in early August and now have three..

Old 09-21-2009, 04:43 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post

I hope your Federal primers weren't too expensive. My local gun shop has some primers in stock, but the last time I asked, they wanted something like $70 per thousand. $30 per thousand seems expensive to me, though I guess that's what most places are getting these days.
$29.90 per thousand is what I paid for Federal large pistol and $31.90 for the large pistol magnums. I had just bought 1000 Remington small pistol for $40 prior to going there, so I was happy with the price of the Federals.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Primers went from a plentiful $17 per thousand to a scarce $30 here. But I'v not run out. I just buy 1000 of each whenever I run across them. Powder I'v just started buying online. It doesn't take many pounds to make it worth the hazardous shipping fee given how high its gotten locally.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I think if we ever had another civil war here, the non-gun owners would be in a world of hurt. I read several gun forums and most people aren't like me with only several hundred rounds at home. Seems most people have thousands and tens of thousands of them and in all sorts of different calibers.
I currently have less than 150 rounds of .40 and 100 rounds of .22LR in my house right now. I had over 200 rounds of .40 and over 400 rounds of .22LR yesterday before we went to the range, though. So what is a common amount of ammunition for everyone? I think I go through it too fast because I live too conveniently close to a gun range.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,557 times
Hey all!
Great thread....

I go through rounds to quickly to have too many on hand....but with new "laws" that will have to change and I'll have to adjust my lifestyle to increase the rate at which I hand load. It's a shame...but too many people voted the wrong way....and now we suffer....
The economy has but a "hurt" on the target shooting as well. I try to keep my collection down to just a few calibers and cases so that the costs are lower.....the more odd-ball cartridges one has to deal with the higher the costs...sticking to .30 cal is just too easy....it fits so many bills...
No doubt the anti-freedom mob will try to legislate away every aspect of the shooting arts until it is virtually impossible to continue....if they can not ban directly they'll ban indirectly....if there are no rounds...you can't shoot...The criminals....as always will have what they want because laws, and following the law means nothing to them....most of them can't even read....
The rest of us will be forced to pay high prices...look for other sources....and strive to be ever more creative and industrious (attitudes the left can not grasp) and continue to pursue our art....

Hang in there people...it WILL get worse before it gets better.....but don't sit back and wait for someone else to do the hard work of resisting these fools on the left in the legislatures in the courts and in the media....Get INVOLVED....get EDUCATED.....and get out there....Sitting back, silent and hoping for the best simply won't work any longer....

And on that note always keep this in mind...The anti-freedom types are experts....EXPERTS at making the people they hate...look bad. They are experts at using every dirty trick in the book to make you look the fool. Don't play into this. Do not give these social zombies any opportunity to "spin" what you do into something wrong, bad or dirty....and I'm not talking only about Second Amendment Rights here..... Always remember that.

To paraphrase a famous gun-owning American...
We all must "hang in there" together...or we will surely "hang separately"....

Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
Reps for you, Happy Cells.

rd - tried to rep you too, but I hit the enter key instead of the space, so I don't know if it all went through.

I know of some people who have 10,000 rounds for each gun and some who have a couple hundred. I guess it depends on whether they're preparing for civil war, depression, zombies or what. I think the most likely scenerio will be mobs of starving liberals, wandering around with a glazed look when they finally realize that their hero couldn't afford to keep giving them free gifts from the public coffers after all. 500 rounds should be enough. <jk> Truthfully, I'm just trying to accumulate enough to feed our range habit for a year, in case of job loss or ammo availability getting even worse. We love our range time and don't want to have to give it up.

Hey Tin Knocker! I've been meaning to tell you what I was told about guns in the WMNF, but I'll send you a PM. Do you have a favorite powder for the Redhawk? I've been seeing more powder here than usual, but I only checked the price on W-231 ($20 lb.).

Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,929 times
Question, does anyone know a good place to buy used 45 acp casings for reloading?

Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Hey all!
Great thread....
No doubt the anti-freedom mob will try to legislate away every aspect of the shooting arts until it is virtually impossible to continue....if they can not ban directly they'll ban indirectly....if there are no rounds...you can't shoot...The criminals....as always will have what they want because laws, and following the law means nothing to them....most of them can't even read....
The rest of us will be forced to pay high prices...look for other sources....and strive to be ever more creative and industrious (attitudes the left can not grasp) and continue to pursue our art....
Great post Happy Cells.

And like you said about laws and criminals, no matter how many laws get passed, criminals will always find ways around them, and the only people who get affected are us law-abiding citizens, and anti-gun politicians just can't seem to realize that.

Let's hope voters will wake up in 2010 and throw all the gun-hating politicians out of office. The only reason Obama, and many anti-gun politicians got elected in November of 2008 was because the majority of conservative voters stayed at home and they did not like McCain. I didn't like him either, even though he is a strong pro-Second Amendment politician, and the only reason I voted for him was because, as the old saying goes "He was the lesser of two evils".

Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Question, does anyone know a good place to buy used 45 acp casings for reloading?
If you live close to a public shooting range, you can get them for free.

Midway might have them also, and many gun shops sometimes stock them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting