Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Well, I figure this thread has been in mothballs long enough, so it's time to revive it!
I just recently picked up a new GSG-5 rifle for plinking. It's a clone of the MP-5, but with a 16" barrel that has a shroud around it to look like a suppressor. ,,,Unlike the gun in the video, mine only has a 10 round magazine, thanks to the PRC (People's Republic of California).

No, I haven't yet been out to shoot it, but I hope to in the next couple of weeks. I'll post again after I do so.
The GSG-5 has been discountinued. HK sued them and got a cease and disist.
The local Turners Outdoorsman is doing a clearance sale on them for $529.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The GSG-5 has been discountinued. HK sued them and got a cease and disist.
The local Turners Outdoorsman is doing a clearance sale on them for $529.
I know that it is no longer going to be available (after the existing stock is exhausted). I got mine for about the same price as Turner's is asking for them. I'm looking forward to shooting it in the next week or two.

I just noticed the $529 price is for the GSG-5SD. The regular GSG-5 is about $500.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 02-03-2010 at 10:57 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
I heard they were still being manufactured . I'll try to get the scoop from the guy that told me that .

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
I heard they were still being manufactured . I'll try to get the scoop from the guy that told me that .
The following quote is attributed to a press statement by ATI regarding the GSG-5 matter. It appears as thought it is only applicable to the "original design" GSG-5, so other models are still apparently in production.

Quote:
Production and importation of the original design GSG-5 ceased as of Oct, 8, 2009 with the signing of the agreement. The remaining inventory now in the USA can be sold by ATI, all distributors and dealers. ATI currently has GSG-5’s in stock.

All sales of the GSG-5 by ATI must conclude by January 31, 2010. ATI will continue to service every firearm that it imports into the USA.
I wonder if there were any left unsold as of February 1. If so, can they be given away to dealers as a "buy 10 of these, get a GSG-5 free" type of promotion? Nothing in the statement said anything about ATI giving them away!

Old 02-05-2010, 12:06 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
My guy tells me that it is now called the GSG522 . There are some cosmetic changes but the internals are the same .

Old 02-05-2010, 02:44 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I call it a "palm shotgun" because it fits in your palm.

It's approx, 8"in, long and 2 1/2 in's in diameter. It looks like a flashlight, but without a beveled end. If a law enforcment officer saw you with this thing he'd never know it was a gun.
It fires 12 guage shot gun shells, but let me back up a ways.

A friend of mine bought this at an auction on some 'well-to-do" families property. It was sold as a package in a safe with some other things and the only way he figured out that it was a gun was because there was some shells beside it.
There's a knob at the back and by pulling back the knob and releasing it, the firing pin is activated. It screws together in the middle and that's where the ammo is loaded.
At first glance most would think (as we did) that this was hand made not even realizing that it was a gun.
But taking a closer look and checking it out we found it had 3 patend #'s, a serial #, and a date (1925) on it, along with the name:
"Industrial Labratories"

I've been all over the internet but with no luck.

Has anyone ever heard of such a device or can anyone give me an idea on where to find more info, on this.
All information will be much appreciated.

mk
Sounds like the charge head of a bangstick, but with the patent numbers and old date, it's possible you're dealing with a very old oddball type of thing. They made a bunch of very bizarre guns back in the 20's and 30's like pocketknife guns, pen guns, set guns, etc...

You have to be very careful here as a lot of these old oddball guns- particularly the ones that fired shotshells- were reclassified under the 1933 National Firearms Act to be what's called "Any Other Weapons" and fall under the same licensing purview as machineguns and silencers, save for a cheaper tax stamp... Technically, if it's an AOW classified gun (which it absolutely sounds like it would be, given what you described), it's a felony to posses it without a Federal tax stamp, so, tread lightly. THese are the sorts of things that live harmlessly in someones basement for eons until great-great grandson decides to take it out shooting seven decades after the fact, gets pulled over and realizes that ignorance of the law doesn't plead very well in court...

Old 02-06-2010, 01:58 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I was out at a gun store not too far from my house, and I saw a nice Glock model 24 in the .40 S&W caliber, and it has the long barrel for $680. I have a Ruger model P94 in the same caliber that I'd like to trade in. I am very happy with the Ruger, and the only reason I'd like to get the Glock is because of the longer barrel.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I was out at a gun store not too far from my house, and I saw a nice Glock model 24 in the .40 S&W caliber, and it has the long barrel for $680. I have a Ruger model P94 in the same caliber that I'd like to trade in. I am very happy with the Ruger, and the only reason I'd like to get the Glock is because of the longer barrel.
That's funny. The last Glock (G27) I bought was because of the shorter barrel. The 24 looks funny to me, because of the longer barrel (I'm used to the shorter ones like the 23 and 27), but I bet it shoots well.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
The 24 is the one model that doesn't come with an LEO price at the store near me. Wonder if that's a Glock policy or something else?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
The 24 is the one model that doesn't come with an LEO price at the store near me. Wonder if that's a Glock policy or something else?
I'm not sure what LEO stands for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting