Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:07 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Anybody, besides me, make it to the range this weekend?

I had a Sako in a .270 that my son wants to borrow for deer and antelope this week. So we took it out to make sure of the scope. Held a 3 inch pattern at 200 yards so it'll be just fine.
I was planning on going this past weekend, but didn't quite make it. Some yardwork and a minor repair project at home was my excuse. I will be going for sure this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM

By the way, here's part of my reloading gear and the new workbench I built recently.

Okay, stop laughing, I'm only an amateur when it comes to this woodwork stuff

Old 10-09-2007, 03:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
No,but my targets I ordered finally arrived so soon I will.Been playing alot of guitar in the mean time.I had a bad experience this last weekend though.I went to a show,saw a Mosin and was gonna buy it.They called me in for my background check and told me I was denied!

I said do it again,this time include my SS number,they said denied!I have no history,I have never had a problem with background checks before,I don't know what's going on....

So the dealer gave me a paper that I have to take to a police station ,have my prints put on them and send it to the capitol to hopefully clear this up.I may have to have the FBI give me a pin number to identify me.They said this has happened before when someone with a similar name and stuff gets confused..but this is B.S.The fact that I got to go thru this burns me.I just hope I can get this s*** cleared up.Just 3 months ago I had a instant background called in for a purchase and it went fine and now all of a sudden this is happening.I paid $20 when I got home and had did a history search on myself thru the state enforcment website and it came back clean,so I don't know what they are getting about me on this instant background check.
Don't give up Lion, it happens. I'd rather I get dinged a time or two then have some lunatic get by without getting dinged. Someplace, somebody typed a number or letter wrong and it caught.

Wasn't too long ago, a 8 year old boy was denied a flight. He was on the 3rd leg of his trip and got stopped by security because his name was on the Terrorist watch list. Course it wasn't him, but somebody with the same name. Did you give a CCW number? That's what I always do and usually get cleared while the dealer is on the phone. but, as we've discussed, each state, each dealer, is different. But keep charging, don't give up.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Magnum,

I'm certainly not laughing. I've been reloading for the better part of 40 years. Know what's setting on my shelf? Yup, a rock chucker.

My brother got fancy. He bought a 5 stage progressive. Every pull of the handle drops a loaded round. Sweet.

But something I've done with my M1. I tried all kind of hand loads. I also tried all kinds of factory loads. I found a factory load that holds a much better group then I can produce. So for saving money and plinking, I'll reload. But for hunting, I'll use factory. Also, shooting matches, the range furnishes the ammo and it's factory ammo. So it's best for me to practice and stay in shape with factory. Same with my 1911 Springfield. good old military ball ammo.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Magnum,

I'm certainly not laughing. I've been reloading for the better part of 40 years. Know what's setting on my shelf? Yup, a rock chucker.

My brother got fancy. He bought a 5 stage progressive. Every pull of the handle drops a loaded round. Sweet.

But something I've done with my M1. I tried all kind of hand loads. I also tried all kinds of factory loads. I found a factory load that holds a much better group then I can produce. So for saving money and plinking, I'll reload. But for hunting, I'll use factory. Also, shooting matches, the range furnishes the ammo and it's factory ammo. So it's best for me to practice and stay in shape with factory. Same with my 1911 Springfield. good old military ball ammo.
Yep, I've had the RCBS Rockchucker since 1995 and I've been very happy with it. I had another RCBS press, which was the model right below the Rockchucker, I bought that one when I first started reloading in 1986.

Progressive presses are nice, and they're expensive also! Some of those Dillon models can be cost about $800. They are okay, as long as you don't have to measure the case lengths, clean the primer pockets and polish the cases. I've also seen new brass cases with as much as .10" variations in lengths, and I'd like all the cases to have the same length. Also, the charge dies can have variances in powder weights between cartridges, that can be as much as .5 grain, depending on the type of powder, and especially if you use stick powders, like IMR. Those variances do make a big difference in the accuracy as well.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:47 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
I'll tell ya whats slick, lee's turret press, i'm sure you know what it is so I won't describe it, I have two of them, i also have two lee progressive machines set up for .223 and .357. the turret press is my favorite because I don't have to change or ajust the dies, the progressive works good for plinking rounds but if i'm loading for hunting or target shooting I don't use it because I like to measure each load.
I haven't done a lot of reloading in the last few years but you guy's are getting me fired up agian.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:10 PM

My brothers progressive is pulling .01 of a grain off the press. Not sure what kind he has but I'll check.

Brass is cleaned and sized before it ever goes into that press. So that's not a problem. Also, he shoots nothing but Lake City brass. Which helps.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 PM

I checked with my brother and this is what he's running.

Dillion 1050,

Dillion 650

Rcbs Rock Chucker with piggy back

RCBS Ammo Master

Having good luck with it. Notice, the meat is still a Rock Chucker? haha

Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
With my Dillon RL 550 B I've had consistent charge weights. It got to the point that I only checked it periodically, just to be sure nothing changed. So far, so good. As for case lengths, and things of that sort, I am just reloading plinking ammo, so it hasn't been any sort of a problem. I've checked several cases after they've been sized, and there were slight differences (usually due to variations in brass manufacturer). All of the cases were still within specification.

If I was going to add anything to my reloading gear, I think the Rock Chucker press would be near the top of the list. As stated, cases can be deprimed and sized before going into the Dillon when loading precision ammo.

I got to thinking about the background check problem mentioned above. In California, with all the waiting periods and such, it would certainly be troublesome for someone to be denied. I have never had that happen, and don't know of anyone else who has, either. I don't know how that matter would be resolved, or how long it would take, should it occur. Well, since they have so long to run the check, hopefully they get it right the first time, so those problems don't occur.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
My wife has a Ruger 10/22 (w/scope) that she is a pretty good shot with on targets. We also have a Winchester 30-30 Lever-Action (w/scope) that we use at the Target Range. And, a Remington Express 870 shotgun that I love to shoot clays with. Later, we will buy her a Youth type Express 870 because it's barrel is shorter. We love our rifles and love shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting