Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvflyer View Post
I have a Ruger P94 (9mm) and a Mossberg 500 Riot gun. We go to the range now and then to shoot targets at lunch (indoor range very close to the office).

I'd love to have an AR15 type of gun but living in California makes it very hard- and I don't want to go through the steps to piece one together with off-list lowers etc. The Bushmaster Carbon 15 is nice (and legal... for now) but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger (pun intended ) and buy one. Not to mention, .223 ammo is $$$.
I aso have the P94 (9mm) and a mosberg 500, small world the p94 is a nice shooting gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Question: what is the appeal of, say, an AK47 vs. an AR15?

Someone told me the AK's can take a lot of abuse and still keep firing.

I do not own any firearms (my choice) although I have no problem with otherwise law abiding people keeping 'em around 'just in case'.
Both of these were either designed for use by the military, or derived from weapons designed for the military, so the intended usage of them is very similar. They were designed to operate under the rigors of the battlefield, so I'm sure that both will take a lot of abuse and continue to work.

The beauty of the AK design was simplicity and cost. They were designed to be easy and inexpensive to manufacture. There were many of these rifles put into service over many years by the Russians, Yugoslavians, and others. The design remained relatively unchanged in the years these guns were made. If you've ever had the opportunity to see one of these guns up close, you will see that they use a lot of stamped steel parts, which are cheap and easy to produce. Overall, I would say that cost was the primary advantage of the AK series rifles.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:00 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Some nice rifles in here for sure. Some look pretty expensive. Priceless, I guess you could say.

I have some standard stuff just to get around.

A few Chrismases ago, my wife bought me an 870 Remington 12 gauge. Then year before last she got me a Win Springfield 30-06. Then just this year I purchased Callahan at a gun show in Lamar Colorado;

So just the basics for now!
I have a Ruger Blackhawk mt father passed on to me since he doesn't shoot much anymore.I use it more than most of my other handguns,great gun..357 has about doubled in price though so it stays in safe more often now.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
These are the ones that I'm waiting for at the moment. I've wanted them for a while, and can now make it happen. I am looking forward to getting to shoot them. Less than a week until I can pick them up.

Attachment 10496

Attachment 10497
You won't be disappointed with your M1A.I have heard it's good idea to replace the extractor with a surplus one though because the new SA inc ones are known to break,unless your comes with a military bolt.As surplus has dried up though SA Inc is using more of their new parts.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Question: what is the appeal of, say, an AK47 vs. an AR15?

Someone told me the AK's can take a lot of abuse and still keep firing.

I do not own any firearms (my choice) although I have no problem with otherwise law abiding people keeping 'em around 'just in case'.
post a thread on a gun board about AK vs M16 or .45 vs 9mm and you'll taken for a troll lol!There are always people on both sides even well experienced ones who'll take sides passionately.

Most soldiers I have heard from say they like their M4,would rather have it than a AK.They maintain their weapon though.

Having fired both extensively I think the M16 is superior specially accuracy wise and better egronomics.The AK is sturdy and is accurate reasonably battle wise,but the M16 is a precision weapon.I like the AK too don't get me wrong,it certainly is robust and more adapt to taking abuse.It really probably means more about the guy using it than the weapon itself,thank goodness insurgents are not trained marksmen for the most part.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You won't be disappointed with your M1A.I have heard it's good idea to replace the extractor with a surplus one though because the new SA inc ones are known to break,unless your comes with a military bolt.As surplus has dried up though SA Inc is using more of their new parts.
Lionking,
I got to pick up my guns today. Thanks for the heads up about the extractor. I hadn't heard that was a problem on the newer guns. Do you know the reason the SA ones fail? I've heard it's not a good idea to use steel cased ammo in most guns, though I don't know if anyone even has steel cased .308 ammo. I know Wolf makes it in .223 and 7.62x39, as well as .45 ACP, but I won't use most of it. I have some 7.62x39 that I've used in my SKS with no problems so far. Anyway, I'll keep my eye open for a surplus extractor for the M1A since you brought this to my attention. I'm sure they wouldn't be too expensive, and so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have around anyway. Thanks again for the info.

Now all I've got to do is get out somewhere to shoot my new guns! So far, I really like them, but still have to shoot 'em.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I also have a Ruger Redhawk in the .44 magnum. It's a very good gun, but I'm looking to get one in the stainless steel.

I also have a Romanian AK-47 with a scope on it. It's a very good shooting rifle. If I were to buy the 7.62 x 39 ammo, I'd be careful getting some of that surplus ammo, because some of them have corrosive primers. I also reload all of my ammo, including the 7.62 x 39, it's fun.

I know there's an AK model called the AK-74, which is the same 7.62 x 39 case, but it' s necked down to .223 and I think it's called 5.56 x 39. I also heard they are very accurate.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Mike ammoman.com has a good deal on Wolf ammo,I bought a case delivered.I have never fired a AK even the 5.45mm that matched the accuracy of a AR-15.

JDavid,I have read in a few threads on gun forums about the extractors known to breakage,they just aren't made to the heavy duty standards as government contract parts.You may or may not have a issue but just saying what I have heard.

Now is the time to stock up on magazines,though you can't get 20 round mags in Kalicommunist-liberalhellholefornia I think...............

Steel cased ammo,I see alot of people use it with no problems,personally I won't use it in a gun that's precious to me.I have beat up Universal M1 carbine that I,m thinking about getting Wolf steel case ammo for though because the gun is a beater upper anyway.The steel case ammo just might hasten chamber errosion ,but that's just my qurk,I shoot alot of AK steel cased ammo before with no problem.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Now is the time to stock up on magazines,though you can't get 20 round mags in Kalicommunist-liberalhellholefornia I think................
can you order on-line and will they ship to Ca.? I wonder because I didn't see a disclaimer saying they couldn't ship to Ca. I'm going to vegas this weekend so I'll be picking up some 20 rd mags for my ranch rifle.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Mike ammoman.com has a good deal on Wolf ammo,I bought a case delivered.I have never fired a AK even the 5.45mm that matched the accuracy of a AR-15.

JDavid,I have read in a few threads on gun forums about the extractors known to breakage,they just aren't made to the heavy duty standards as government contract parts.You may or may not have a issue but just saying what I have heard.

Now is the time to stock up on magazines,though you can't get 20 round mags in Kalicommunist-liberalhellholefornia I think...............

Steel cased ammo,I see alot of people use it with no problems,personally I won't use it in a gun that's precious to me.I have beat up Universal M1 carbine that I,m thinking about getting Wolf steel case ammo for though because the gun is a beater upper anyway.The steel case ammo just might hasten chamber errosion ,but that's just my qurk,I shoot alot of AK steel cased ammo before with no problem.
I've had my AR-15 since 1994, and my M1-A since 1999, and the AK-47 since 1994, and I haven't seen the problems with the extractor you mentioned.

I had a Universal M1 Carbine 19 years ago, and it was a fun gun to shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting