Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Just pick a gun and go shooting a lot and get to know it real personal like. Shot placement is what will save you.
I do a fair amount of shooting, and i know my regular "carry" guns pretty darned personally.

However, I failed to be real clear on this particular post, I was talking about defending myself from animals much larger than me. On the offensive, I can make decent shot placement. If I were being run down by a really PO'ed bear, I don't know if I can make a decent shot placement. I would feel more comfortable with a large caliber handgun, whose heavy bullet and large resulting hole, would increase my chances of a return trip to Walmart to replace my unmentionables. Proper shot placement with my little 44 mag would be very lethal on most large animals a person would need to defend themselves from.

But in all reality, I want a gun I can shoot enough to become comfortable with, hence the quest for advice. I intend to let go of some serious cash for said gun, and welcome any specific advice on particular models of large bore handguns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
However, I failed to be real clear on this particular post.
Quote:
I do want to be able to comfortably carry something big enough to defend myself with.
Maybe we are saying the same thing. I think shot placement is more important than caliper at this point.
Poorly placed 12 gauge slugs will not deter a bear in full charge. However a simple .22lr bullet in the eye can drop it mid stride.
I have killed most of my deer with a 22 in the past 40 years, never lost one even not needing my revolver.

I too love buying and shopping for new guns. There is a point thou that bigger is not always better.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
Maybe we are saying the same thing.

However I am well aware of my own limitations, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would be unable to pull off proper shot placement (read a .22 through the eye) on a charging bear.

No matter how many 5 shot one hole groups I can shoot on the range.

When I am rattled, and fearing for my life, in a real world situation, I simply don't have enough confidence in myself to make that kind of shot.

In that case a bigger hole in the varmint is preferrable.

I can't help but believe that a misplaced shot under duress to an ill meaning large animal would be more effective with a large caliber than with a small. Being on the receiving end of a large caliber handgun is absolutley more damaging than a small caliber popgun, even with a misplaced shot. Perfectly effective?? Maybe not, but the effectiveness of a poorly placed shot diminishes with a smaller caliber. And a misplaced shot is almost guaranteed FROM ME, if I am scared witless by a charging animal. A good chance I might even miss. But I don't want to purposely shrink my chances of survival by under-gunning.

A 243 or even a good quality centerfire 22 caliber round is a darned good bet for hunting. However, if I was under duress and in immediate fear for my well being, I think a bigger caliber would be better.

I don't have nerves of steel, and there is absolutely no reason to under gun myself when I know that.

And besides, for the other 99.9% of the time I would have that handgun, I simply WANT a bigger gun. That is the bottom line.

I have the 22, 9mm, 357Mag, 357Sig, 40, 44Mag, and enjoy them all. If I knew for a fact that I could hold perfectly still, and make the shot, when my life was threatened, I would not be interested in a new handgun since I already own one that would do the job with good shot placement.

Please understand I am *NOT* talking about hunting. I am talking shaking with immediate fear. Obviously you have the nerves and confidence to dampen that and make a perfect shot, and I congratulate you on that.

I don't.

So I would like to increase my chances of survival with a tool I think would make things slightly more even.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
From Rifleman:
First off, thanks for all the info, great post and I sent a rep your way for it. Second, Ruger does indeed make the Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 with a 2.5" bl. As mentioned, hangun recoil bothers me very little, I fire my 629 in 44 one handed, even with the weak hand. But it has much more metal in it than that little Redhawk has, so was looking at other avenues. Sure, I want this to hip carry, but I also want to ENJOY shooting it once in a while. Was kinda hoping someone knew of something between the baby 2.5" and the rather long 7.5" the Super Redhawk comes in. I like to think of myself as a "real man", but might let out a whimper with that little 2.5" barrel.

I am a terminal cheapskate, and availability of ammo is pretty low around where I live, so reloading is the primary method of feeding the beasts I currently own, so would follow suit to reload for this as well. Moved a year ago, however, and currently have no shop to set up in.

From elkhunter:
I don't know much about the .500 S&W, but that long of a barrel would be the same size as my little 44 mag. Was this on an N frame? If so, would be basically same size as my 629. How similar is this cartridge to the .500 Linebaugh? Or is that cartridge even still around..... I don't read gun mags any more and have not for a bunch of years, hence my forum questioning, as potentially goofy as the questions are.

From RayinAK:
Hello Ray, great info there. Would rep ya, but your photos in the AK forum already got reps from me, and alas I have no more to give you..

I am not a big guy either, just average height and 30 lbs more than gov't standard, but am sure I could handle that FA gun at the range too. Have heard a few good things about Freedom Arms, have a co-worker that sold his FA in 454 a few years ago and just raves about it. He figured he could shoot his other handguns twice as much for the same $$ though, so got rid of it.

I am a fan of the Hogue grips, even have a set on my 629. Had wood grips on it that I found a little uncomfy so switched to the Hogue. The grip style was why I had looked at the Ruger and passed over the FA.

I don't own a single firearm with a ported barrel, so have zero experience with shooting ported barrels. Maybe I should tack a little side question on here about porting. Make more noise I would think, but does it reduce felt recoil?

And carry bandolier style.... I have an Uncle Mike's cross draw holster rig to carry the 8 3/4" model 629 of mine, but find it a little unwieldy. On a hunting trip about 10 years ago, I spooked a deer trying to casually wrestle it out of the holster. In it's favor, it keeps the big gun out of the way, though.
I have heard that porting does tame recoil, but what it certainly does, at least with the Magna-Port on my .454 Casull is to stop the muzzle from raising very much when the gun is fired. This makes it easier for me to get back on target sooner for the following shot. Perhaps it makes the gun louder, but then all handguns are loud. Not a good idea to shoot handguns without hearing protection.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
So, after some years playing with my S&W long barreled 629 Classic, I find myself giving into the urge for a shorter barreled larger caliber hand cannon.

Thinking hard on the .454 Casull, what are some of you folk's recommendations on a good quality gun chambered for that beast?

I have conceal carry handguns, long guns I really enjoy, but what I am after here is a large caliber handgun I can hip carry if I choose and abuse my wrists at the range occasionally.

Honestly it won't be hip carried unless I go hiking in the wilds of Alaska (fat chance), but I am using that criteria as an excuse to add to the large bore handgun collection.

I CCW with a Ruger Alaskan in 454 casull.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Default 44 Mag vs 454 Casull/ see para #4 below

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the point of "bullet construction" (and type.)

When I harvested a Kodiak Brown Bear in late November of 1991, I carried a controlled feed (modified Mdl 98 action), 375 H&H with my handloads of 300 grain Noslers Partitions........ and "just in case" I had a Model 29 (44 Mag) S&W, 4 " barrell Mag-na-ported by Larry Kelly (Mag-na-port-Arms) in a very comfortable, close fitting holster....loaded with my handloads of 300 gr Very hard cast solids. The .375 H&H took care of the Brownie at 40 yards. I did use the .44 on a Sitka Deer which caused instant death. I also have used the 44 (with 258 gr Keith Hollow Points-hard Cast) on some Mule deer in CO & MT over the years........always very effective.

I learned long ago (IMHO) that choosing the "right bullet" is every bit as important as bullet placement.

....I'd much rather have a .44 Mag loaded with 300 gr solids (vs a 454 Casull loaded with some type of expanding (JHP) bullet)........to use as a last defense against a charging Brownie. To me,..Penetration and ability to "break a shoulder" or hit the spine, are "key" to handling a "dangerous-game" animal.........but that's just me. And my "experience-under-the-belt", goes back to my very first deer-------November of 1942, using a .257 Roberts loaded with "Fred Barnes, 120 gr pointed soft points with his "solid copper jackets"..........lots of water "under the Bridge since then":...WT deer, Mule deer, Sitka deer, elk, caribou, Ak Moose, antelope, black bear and my Brownie.

I can proudly state I've never "lost" a "game animal". Going along with that:..I also never have used a Sierra or Hornady bullet on big game......I've always used Nosler Partitions ( I still have some of "the old style" (re-bated Belt) left in .243/100 gr; .30 cal in 180 gr and 300 gr in .375.

Approaching my 81st year very shortly, I still enjoy shooting that 4" Mdl 29----however--"my wrist prefers running .44 Specials through it"
And at this age, I really don't like tracking an animal,....so my last two elk dropped where they stood------a 300 gr Nosler Partition planted in the neck-----"just-like a Lightning Bolt".............The right bullet in the right spot......

I do realize, that everyone has "their favorite loads, bullets and calibers" and what I have stated "has worked well for me" over these many years. I, in no way, feel qualified to pass judgment on someone elses choices and/or opinions.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 796 times
Where did you get your grips?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:17 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
So, after some years playing with my S&W long barreled 629 Classic, I find myself giving into the urge for a shorter barreled larger caliber hand cannon.

Thinking hard on the .454 Casull, what are some of you folk's recommendations on a good quality gun chambered for that beast?

I have conceal carry handguns, long guns I really enjoy, but what I am after here is a large caliber handgun I can hip carry if I choose and abuse my wrists at the range occasionally.

Honestly it won't be hip carried unless I go hiking in the wilds of Alaska (fat chance), but I am using that criteria as an excuse to add to the large bore handgun collection.
Freedom Arms seems the first name in the Casull. I do believe a River Super Redhawk would be fine as well, or Super Blackhawk. With the 45 Colt as a sub caliber, hard to go wrong with the Casull. A lever gun revolver combo in this chambering is a dream team of mine.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:44 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
Have to agree with the 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun and 44mag Ruger Black/Redhawk combo. Pretty much the standard in backcountry setup.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:44 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
I would not recommend short-barreled .454 Casull, because of the extreme noise it causes when fired. I coworker of mine had a Ruger revolver in .454 Casull, and it was a hand full, plus incredibly noisy. Years ago, some of the A-10 Pilots in Alaska had a survival package that included a short-barreled .454 Casull. The idea was for the pilot to defend himself (or herself) from bears after a crash until rescued. My advice, if buying a .454 Casull, would be to buy one that has a barrel not shorter than 5" or 6". The .454 Casull is quite popular in Alaska, and those of us who carry such in the outdoors load them with ammo that have a little over 300-grain hard cast bullets. These are readily available in most gun stores. Also, have it Magna-Ported to aid with muzzle jump.

Some of the .454 Casull loads are quite similar to the loads for the .45-70 rifle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting