Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You More Armed Today Than 4 Years Ago?
Yes 69 75.82%
No 16 17.58%
Doesn't Concern Me 6 6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times

Advertisements

I thinned the heard over 10 years ago and never went back, no more gun shows either, I got tired of jumping through hoops everytime the prices went up or they kept saying there no more ammo, because of the war in Iraq, etc

gun shows and guns & ammo is just like the gas prices, everytime something happens in the news they use it as another excuse to raise the prices or say it's all sold out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
...and I appreciate ya thinning the herd, because mine has been growin'!<G> I've been an avid collector for many years now, and it's not unusual for me to pick one up just because it caught my eye. Since I collect, I recognize rising tides, and don't mind waiting out pricing hikes. Then again, many of mine appreciate in value 10% or more per year - MUCH better than what I can get on most investments.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
...and I appreciate ya thinning the herd, because mine has been growin'!<G> I've been an avid collector for many years now, and it's not unusual for me to pick one up just because it caught my eye. Since I collect, I recognize rising tides, and don't mind waiting out pricing hikes. Then again, many of mine appreciate in value 10% or more per year - MUCH better than what I can get on most investments.
I'd say anyone that owns more than...1 shotgun, 1 .22 rifle, 1 large caliber centerfire rifle, 1 fullsize large handgun, 1 smaller or compact (back up) handgun is a COLLECTOR! I am one too. I'm also very fussy about I'm using for this or that detail. I'm sure not going down in the middle of the hood with a Beretta Tomcat. The same could be said about taking a Sig P-226 or P-220 or 5" Government 1911 to the beach. I'm VERY picky!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
Are you? I am. No need to post reasons.
I'm not sure what you mean by "more armed." I have fewer firearms but they are of a better quality than many I've owned in the past. Why own more than you can carry?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Why own more than you can carry?
Ummmm....because you can???

Besides - some folks have been known to tote 2-4 routinely!

Way I figure it, if some is good, and more is better - then even MORE is more better!!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "more armed." I have fewer firearms but they are of a better quality than many I've owned in the past. Why own more than you can carry?
ITSHTF situation it's best not to store all your guns & ammo in one place, if something happens you could lose access to your weapons cache

having a weapons & ammo caches in undisclosed places could prevent you from having all your guns confiscated , dont leave all your eggs in one basket

its good to have extra guns & ammo in reserves for SHTF

better to have and not need than to need and not have

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM

It's also good to have mulitiple weapons. Suppose one goes down and you can't get the parts to make the needed repairs to get it back into action for awhile? If I can't get parts for my Sig Sauers, maybe my GLOCKS or HKs or even my Berettas....M&P too etc.... I also keep those little clear fishing tackle boxes with all the little dividers full of parts. I separate and label them by make and model so no mix ups happen.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 PM

Like this, there is enough parts in there to completely build or repair several rifles. I even have extra gas tubes. Both for carbines and Governments. I do this with all of my most used parts and guns.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 AM

212 posts, read 320,485 times
As cooper said, "armed is a state of mind. You are no more armed because you own a gun than you are a musician because you own a guitar". :-) Very, VERY few people are "armed", because they lack skill at the requisite speed of handling, and almost nobody properly understands tactics. they don't even know enough to keep earplugs where they can be installed in 4 seconds, faster than most can use a revolver speed loader. If you can get to cover, you can install them, and double your effective range, and be able to hear enemies after the first shot. :-)

Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
As cooper said, "armed is a state of mind. You are no more armed because you own a gun than you are a musician because you own a guitar". :-) Very, VERY few people are "armed", because they lack skill at the requisite speed of handling, and almost nobody properly understands tactics. they don't even know enough to keep earplugs where they can be installed in 4 seconds, faster than most can use a revolver speed loader. If you can get to cover, you can install them, and double your effective range, and be able to hear enemies after the first shot. :-)
I prefer my electronic ear muffs for such purpose myself. They cut out harmful noise above a set db and amplify softer sounds such as instructions/commands and talking. If I had time first, I would put them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting