Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You More Armed Today Than 4 Years Ago?
Yes 69 75.82%
No 16 17.58%
Doesn't Concern Me 6 6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The government is not about about to seize your guns. That would create a nightmare scenerio for them, and how would they even carry it out? The ATF, FBI, police, and military are made up of gun owners and the vast majority would have serious moral/ethical issues seizing everyone's guns.
The Oklahoma National Guard had no problems seizing guns in New Orleans. Government agencies are full of people who own guns but they don't think you have a right to own one.

Every month there's a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal listing guns the BATF has seized. It's a full page of fine print.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
Are you? I am. No need to post reasons.
Can you clarify that question?

Do I own more guns? Yes
Why? I like to shoot different calibers
Do I carry? Yes but only where it's allowed/legal
Do I feel the NEED to carry? Not Really
Do I live to a higher standard, carrying? Yes
Do I drink if I am carrying? No
Do I carry if my doctor gave me medication that may impair judgement? No

I'm a hobbyist when it comes to shooting. Sure, I educated myself on guns, the law and marksmanship. I'm not a competition shooter, though I should be. It's akin to Bowling or Golf, for me. Just a hobby but I take it to another level. Ownership does not equate to status, power or invincibility. It really means taking a more serious approach to laws, use, ownership, and proper judgement.

There are many pitfalls when it comes to owning and using a firearm. There are even thicker thorn-laiden vines when it comes to concealment and self defense. One must be very well versed in what their responsibility is as an armed citizen. It is not to prevent something from being stolen or vandalized. It is not to prevent the house from being broken into. It is to preserve one's own life, if threatened by deadly force...If and only if, there is no other viable option. However, many steps are taken in the interim. It is the LAST OPTION, not my FIRST.

We are not vigilantes. We are not law enforcement officers. We are just regular people with the purpose of survival in a self defense situation when life is in danger.

Guns are tools. That's all. It's the beholder that one must be cognizant of. Restrictions and laws only affect the lawful citizen, not the criminal. Criminals could care less about law.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Ummmm....because you can???

Besides - some folks have been known to tote 2-4 routinely!

Way I figure it, if some is good, and more is better - then even MORE is more better!!!!
One is none, and two is better.

If your primary would happen to malfunction, a backup would be better than trying to clear a higher level malfunction, in some situations.

One must always be one step ahead, or they lose.

However, avoidance, situational awareness, a proper/clear mindset and the ability to find cover takes the highest precedence.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Oh, to be sure! Believe me - if you see a gun in my hand, it's because I've found NO other viable alternative, period. I've been down the road of having to pull a trigger, and it changes your life. Doesn't matter how "justifiable" it is, it's going to affect you in ways you can't begin to ever appreciate. I'd do anything to avoid having to do it again - but if necessary, I am prepared.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
I am, but the political climate is not my only reason for my recent purchases. A recent trip to an indoor range with my wife really caused my interest in shooting to take off. I already owned a few firearms but they mostly sat in a case in their assigned locations in my home. One of them was not legal in California, so I made sure not to ever get it out while I lived there.

I just moved to Virginia where the laws seem to be a little more favorable to gun owners. On my way I stopped in my home state of Colorado and crossed off a few items on my wishlist. I have a few more to go, and am starting a nice little collection.

Sure, the political climate has influenced me, but not as much as my own interest in this hobby has.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
I'm down to what I need, from having most of what I wanted.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm down to what I need, from having most of what I wanted.
Not me - still got a coupla hunnert ta go....

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM

8,068 posts, read 12,779,194 times
No, I have plenty of guns and have had them for years. If I can't kill what needs killing with what I have it can't be killed.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,872 times
I have 30 rifles/pistols/shotguns and about +250 rounds for each of them--yea I'am good....

Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
I have 30 rifles/pistols/shotguns and about +250 rounds for each of them--yea I'am good....
If yer under 25 years of age, that's a good "starter" collection in Texas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting