Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

I am not real knowledgeable on the subject, but the guy at the gunstore the other day was recommending people get a better AR than Rock River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thanks, I'm not tied to any LE "gossip rings" either. I know real people, with real experience, both in the failures and the repairs/restaking of the RRA AR platform.
That probably came across in print as more adversarial than I intended it to. I meant something more like "I'm aware of your ties to that side of the shooting culture even though I do not share it".

Most people will never get to the bottom of a case of 5.56 in their lives. A box of twenty hunting rounds lasts for a few seasons for most people. Most people are not going to shoot their AR's enough to be likely to see (let alone measure) statistically significant failure rates. Most people will have failures due to improper maintenance rather than poor QC and are highly unlikely to ever experience any issues with an improperly staked gas key.

You're right though; a dude with a set of punches in his garage can stake a gas key - why can't Rock River Arms?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

348 posts, read 266,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That probably came across in print as more adversarial than I intended it to. I meant something more like "I'm aware of your ties to that side of the shooting culture even though I do not share it".

Most people will never get to the bottom of a case of 5.56 in their lives. A box of twenty hunting rounds lasts for a few seasons for most people. Most people are not going to shoot their AR's enough to be likely to see (let alone measure) statistically significant failure rates. Most people will have failures due to improper maintenance rather than poor QC and are highly unlikely to ever experience any issues with an improperly staked gas key.

You're right though; a dude with a set of punches in his garage can stake a gas key - why can't Rock River Arms?
Haha...is that what people say on the net? We don't buy "boxes" of Lake City M855s. We buy wooden crates of it at a time. That's two ammo cans with 820 in each...1640 ROUNDS. The Rock Rivers, Bushys and Colts handle it all the same. Who knows, some of those parts guns even have some FN parts in them. They all run A-OK!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM

What's that say? A Mil-Spec gun is a Mil-Spec gun. You can bet your Smith & Wesson and Stag Arms on that too!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampfireR View Post
Haha...is that what people say on the net? We don't buy "boxes" of Lake City M855s. We buy wooden crates of it at a time. That's two ammo cans with 820 in each...1640 ROUNDS. The Rock Rivers, Bushys and Colts handle it all the same. Who knows, some of those parts guns even have some FN parts in them. They all run A-OK!
My way of looking at it is essentially the same as yours. There aren't that many forges that actually pour the receivers and it's a pretty poor machine shop that can't mill a receiver to spec. Triggers, bolts, buffers, magazines, gas tubes etc. etc. will vary in quality and price, of course, but they all basically go together the same way.

If I'm going to upgrade, I'm going to upgrade the barrel.

I still buy boxes of long action and they still last a long time, though. M855 seems to go pretty fast.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
If you can get a good price on the Rock River, I'd buy it. Rock River is a company formed by the Larson brothers who were the head gunsmiths at the company that makes the crappy Springfields. They left Springfield to partner up with and open a crappy company named Les Bauer. Yeah the same company that makes the crappy 1911's that shoots and wins in most competitions around the country. They left that to form their own company which is now Rock River. But since there's so much BS in this thread, I'll add to it. I've never seen any law enforcement group buy RRA rifles. Most buy Armalite. The agents you see with RRA ARs belongs to the agent as they are little more particular about what they carry. Most of the Border Patrol down here carry either a DPMS or RRA. These guys are in fire fights most every week with the drug dealers along the border. I've never heard of a failure yet with either brand and yes, I know a bunch of these guys. So if you can get a good deal on that RRA, buy it.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
My way of looking at it is essentially the same as yours. There aren't that many forges that actually pour the receivers and it's a pretty poor machine shop that can't mill a receiver to spec. Triggers, bolts, buffers, magazines, gas tubes etc. etc. will vary in quality and price, of course, but they all basically go together the same way.

If I'm going to upgrade, I'm going to upgrade the barrel.

I still buy boxes of long action and they still last a long time, though. M855 seems to go pretty fast.
How to spot a Mil-Spec AR? Look at the barrel. It should have a 5.56 NATO headstamp often with a C or a CP. The receiver should be forged aircraft grade aluminum, often 7075T6 or similar , not cast junk. The finish is a hard anodizing coating MIL-A-8625 Type II or similar. Anything else is fuey chewy and sales pitches as well as marketing.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If you can get a good price on the Rock River, I'd buy it. Rock River is a company formed by the Larson brothers who were the head gunsmiths at the company that makes the crappy Springfields. They left Springfield to partner up with and open a crappy company named Les Bauer. Yeah the same company that makes the crappy 1911's that shoots and wins in most competitions around the country. They left that to form their own company which is now Rock River. But since there's so much BS in this thread, I'll add to it. I've never seen any law enforcement group buy RRA rifles. Most buy Armalite. The agents you see with RRA ARs belongs to the agent as they are little more particular about what they carry. Most of the Border Patrol down here carry either a DPMS or RRA. These guys are in fire fights most every week with the drug dealers along the border. I've never heard of a failure yet with either brand and yes, I know a bunch of these guys. So if you can get a good deal on that RRA, buy it.
The DEA is one of the most known. You can Google that or look it up. It's not net myth.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
My goodness the FUD in here is thick young Jedi.

OP just find a good used Colt or S&W MP. Shoot the crap out of it 5000+ rounds. Then decide if you want to build one. I suspect you will if you get bit by the black rifle bug.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM

It also helps BUNCHES if said companies make POST May '86 M-16s. Rock River is one that does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting