Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have a break action air pistol sufficiently accurate to let me consistently hit aspirin tablets at 25 feet. As I live in a crowded subdivision shooting any firearm outside of the gun range is prohibited. The pellets the air guns shoots have enough drag they are very short range.
But in that short range are still lethal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
1. It is illegal to let them run at large. If the owner loved their animal they would take better care of it.

If your beloved pet is threatening to kill someones livelihood then it is in danger as they get to protect their livelihood from your animal.
It has nothing to do with your heart, it's reality.
A dog can kill many calves in one night.

Then again some horses don't need protection from most domestic dogs,
they'll trample and kick them to death.

Why is your beloved pet at large?
Don't you car about it?
It could get hit by a car, fall prey, or get shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Don't think about the owner of the dog or cat that may be a child. Be the heartless moron and kill the pet instead of scaring it off.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
This site...

Air Guns and Airsoft Guns | Your Source for Air Guns and Air Gun Accessories

is an excellent place to start. Lots of stuff to compare, and excellent after-sales service as well! Btw, Benjamin air rifles, esp. those pump-up ones, used to be generally considered to be a cheapo sub-standard piece, one that also didn't look too "professional". But recently, they have most definitely upgraded, and now produce a great thumbhole style with wood stock, and significant pressure, coupled with a short sound supressor. Noting that any device that fires a projectile at well over the magical supersonic velocity of ≈ 1150 fps will generate it's own sonic boom! A distinct "crack"!

Take a look at this latest Benjamin model, just FYI:

Benjamin Trail NP Nitro Piston Hardwood air rifle. Air rifles

It's 5.5mm (versus the smaller .177 rifles. And you can buy it for only $199, which is a big savings over what Cabela's was selling it for 4 weeks ago in-store (they had it "on sale" for $249, reg. $299!)

Yes, those little .177s always produce higher velocities, but they also deliver significantly less energy @ longer (> 80m) distances.) While weight does not decrease with range, velocity does. As well, a heavier projectile will retain it's initial velocity longer/further.

This particular "Benjy" will deliver 950 fps, and energy @ 50 - 70 yds that will drill clean right on through three grouse heads with the same shot, a rabbit's skull and most any home garden pest, no problem. It also comes with a semi-OK 3-9X scope! A pretty good deal!

I used to scorn Benjamins, (sort of like buying a plastic CO2 Crossman repeater with a Crossman pasti-Scope on it!) but I will be purchasing one of these Hi-Vel Bengy Trail NP Nitro Piston rifles shortly.

PS: I have also owned and love my Weihrauch HW55 for well over 45 years. It's essentially the later Beeman's R-1 but without an adjustable trigger. I think that R-1 is a Weihrauch HW-60 maybe? When my HW-55 got tired after about 20 yrs of hunting, I had Beeman's, in SoCal back then, "magnumize" it about 17 yrs ago, from a tired 700 fps up to a full-on, chronographed 1020 fps. Even though it's "only" a .177, I had successfully used it for years to hunt blue and willow grouse in central British Columbia out to ranges of > 50 m. It always killed them v, if I hit them right!

PS: any air rifle with 11mm (is it?) scope slots on the receiver can use an adaptor that allows you to use any real and high quality scopes and standard rings. I have a Leupold VX-II EFR 3X9 Ultra-light on my HW-55. Turns out they are built the same quality and durability as any of their scopes, so I can take it off and even mount it, if I chose, on a Mk. V Weatherby .460, no problems! Try that with your all plastic (incl. the lenses...) $30 scope from Crosman! (Mind you, it did cost me > $300 for the scope, plus another $45 for the rings & adapter base...)

I believe that Cabela's is now marketing a number of excellent air rifles, all of the newer high velocity "nitro gas piston" types that don't loose their springiness over time. They all seem to be priced at about the $300 - $400 range, which is worth the extra bux if you are hoping to use it for a few decades! And don't underestimate their utility as a SHTF, TEOTWAWKI go-to game getter! Lots of small game can be quietly taken with them.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM

750 posts, read 907,307 times
I don't see sense to use scope Leupold on pneumatics - first, their reticle is simple duplex that is inconvenient when shooting further 30 yards. And eye-relief is too long. For pneumatics it is better mildot, and stretched down mildot and short eye-relief. Secondly, even very expensive sights break on spring airguns. The are is more preferable to use something like Leapers TS-series, BSA AR-series or a special series from Leupold for airguns.
Quote:
I think that R-1 is a Weihrauch HW-60 maybe?
R1 its a HW80. HW60 its a firearm.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM

FYI Waydm: the Leupold I am using is specifically the airgun/22-suitable model. I'm a dealer for Leupold and spoke to them beforehand about it's suitability for both .22s (the EFR feature). They don't specficially make an airgun-only model, other than the close focus/parallax (again, that EFR...) feature, because all of their scopes will easily withstand an airgun's reverse recoil.

The scope model I have is typically used in some 10m airgun competition. It is "just" an EFR VX-II in 3X9 and ultra-light, as it says on the scope. As for reticles, a mil-dot reticle is not really necessary @ 10m! Mil-Dots are used to semi-accurately range a subject of known (or well-estimated) size, like a stop sign or typical standing human (often used by police TAC squads, since there's often a stop sign or other object of known (pre-determined) size near to some potential target). Hardly necessary @ 10m, right?

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...t-riflescopes/ (and as per Leupold: also most suitable for high-velocity spring airguns, the only types with that oddball reverse recoil)

But when you are using, for example, a Feinwerkbau olympic target rifle that retails for about $2500, you tend to look at higher-end optics as well.

http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/s...lution-Top.jpg

(I know, typically, folks don't usually scope these, but even a good premium German-built sporting air rifle can easily cost you over $1500 now...)

http://breakbarrelairrifle.com/wp-co...Air-Rifles.jpg

I have mounted on one of my own custom-built sniper rifles (6.5-06 Ackley, just FYI) a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20X50mm LR/T with an illuminated TMR reticle(A Tactical Milling Reticle. It's typically used in for example, the current Greater Sandbox Disputes (i.e.: Iran & Afghanistan) for ultra-long range social work. Their TMR with a first focal plane reticle (it changes size as you range it up and down) is excellent for determining the range to your "targets" in those situations.

Just FYI. (One learns something new every day, right?)

Last edited by rifleman; 12-05-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
1. It is illegal to let them run at large. If the owner loved their animal they would take better care of it.

If your beloved pet is threatening to kill someones livelihood then it is in danger as they get to protect their livelihood from your animal.
It has nothing to do with your heart, it's reality.
A dog can kill many calves in one night.

Then again some horses don't need protection from most domestic dogs,
they'll trample and kick them to death.

Why is your beloved pet at large?
Don't you car about it?
It could get hit by a car, fall prey, or get shot.
I accord NO dogs the status of pet since the dog is just a wolf in civilized clothing. If they are a threat then kill them with one well placed shot.

No on will ever sell me that the common house cat is a danger to larger livestock. Chickens, ducks etc. maybe but that is a more even contest on who gets to live. A well placed BB right in a cat's ass will convince him to find a meal somewhere else but he'll still be alive to do it.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Quote:
I accord NO dogs the status of pet since the dog is just a wolf in civilized clothing. If they are a threat then kill them with one well placed shot.

No on will ever sell me that the common house cat is a danger to larger livestock. Chickens, ducks etc. maybe but that is a more even contest on who gets to live. A well placed BB right in a cat's ass will convince him to find a meal somewhere else but he'll still be alive to do it.
When I lived on the farm, wondering cats spread disease and cause trouble for my cats. Yes, cats do chase ducks, chickens and such. Runs the weight off of them and causes them to molt earlier.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Ah yes; the feral cat problem. Too sad, really. Near a large Tacoma, WA car dealership that is also backed up to the BNSF line onto SEA-TAC, the car techs regularly (twice a day, minimum) feed the local growing merry band of "feline ferals" that come up to the garage entrance (But never inside. Very skittish kitties! No doubt taught that behavior by their concerned moms!).

http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/..._cat_group.jpg

This scenario is repeated all over the world: those who enjoy cats at home feel sorry for these ferals, and don't want to see them all starve. When I looked at these car-dealership animals closely (with binoculars), I could actually see the masses of ear mite "frass", the diagnostic head shaking, and the incessant scratching of their bodies because of fleas and probably even ticks.

What a tortured life! Fact is, it would be far better if they were trapped and removed, and even humanely poisoned somehow with a selective or well-managed control program. Or perhaps an oral contraceptive, as has been tried, with some success and variously, on rats, coyotes, feral dogs and cats, and even pigeons.

Using an air rifle on these animals, in my considered and educated ballistic opinion, as far as the terminal energy of an air pellet @, say, 40 yds, would be both cruel and just plain insufficient to effectively do the job, reliably and with 100% success. On a potentially moving target.

That having been said, as regards the personalities of ferals, our beloved house cat Ghostie (he came to us all dull grey, "ghosting" onto our property out of a "ghostly" morning fog, over 13 years ago.) is now a v fat cat, with a glossy coat and great teeth, v. loving and house-happy. He also "deals" with any stray cats that come around begging or trying to find food, in a rather aggressive manner....

He also keeps our 5 acres clear of most rodents, even sticking his forearm down into active gopher push-ups after patiently sitting there for an hour or more. Like a polar bear waiting at a seal's breathing hole!

I certainly hope no-one out here in the country ever takes to pot-shooting at Ghostie. Esp. with some insufficient air rifle! Veterinarians often dig air rifle pellets out of the infected hides of cats and dogs, where the uninformed or insufficiently educated shooter thinks he'll just induce some "aversive conditioning pain" to train them to stay away from "the red farmhouse" They shoot to hurt over there!!"

I would take that very seriously!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
Quote:
Have a whack at them please!! Then take another whack for me!!

These are the people who dump them instead of taking them to the vet , or county animal shelter, for proper humane end of life.
One at a time, I've adopted one of the dumped dogs, one dog from the local pound and three more unwanted dogs from neighbors and friends. Unfortunately all five dogs have been taken by coyotes who are pretty bad out here. Right now I've given up owning dogs but I still have two tom cats that were dumped out when they were young. A bowl of milk and a heated bed in a barn attic are all it took to make them the best of friends. They are now teenagers and each are armed with razor sharp claws. They know every tree on the farm and how many steps it takes to get to them.

Since I lost the dogs, I have purchased additional acreage around me and, by keeping the tall grasses and weeds mowed down, I seem to have significantly reduced the number of coyotes who now come up to the house looking for pets. I was able to send one of the mammalian cochroaches to coyote heaven but not with an air gun.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM

750 posts, read 907,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I'm a dealer for Leupold
.... They don't specficially make an airgun-only model,
OK, you know better, but i google something i know, that us only an advertising, but he (and many others) talking about SPECIAL airgun scopes from Lup
Leupold Air Rifle Scopes

Quote:
The scope model I have is typically used in some 10m airgun competition. It is "just" an EFR VX-II in 3X9 and ultra-light, as it says on the scope. As for reticles, a mil-dot reticle is not really necessary @ 10m! Mil-Dots are used to semi-accurately range a subject of known (or well-estimated) size, like a stop sign or typical standing human (often used by police TAC squads, since there's often a stop sign or other object of known (pre-determined) size near to some potential target). Hardly necessary @ 10m, right?
Yes, but am talking not about 10m competition. For example, am shooting three-position competition on 25m, and FT from 15m to 60m. Most AGs in our club has ajusted scopes for 25m, so if im shoot for close or longest distances mildots absolutely necessary. And mildots uses in long-range airgun shooting for 110m too.
Im using Sightron 3-9x40MD, generally Sightrones is most popular scopes this season
Quote:
Just FYI. (One learns something new every day, right?)
Thanks for lesson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting