Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:08 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times

Advertisements

The one I had was not very accurate at all. I would take an AR platform over the Mini 14 any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 03:03 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I need to get an Accu-strut for mine (pictured above) before giving it to one of my sons.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
@1AngryTaxPayer

That's pretty funny!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I swiped it from another site

Old 12-20-2013, 06:41 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Already mentioned, but early versions of the Mini-14 did have thin barrels with a piston vent attached to the top. With rapid shooting the barrel heated up unevenly and drifted. There is a reason why bench-shooters take great pains to keep anything from touching the barrel. Ruger has re-designed the Mini-14 to improve accuracy, and the target/varmit versions with aftermarket triggers are probably quite accurate. I have not shot one of the new versions.

I have older relatives who fought in Vietnam who wouldn't shoot an AR-15 (or a clone). They think those plastic guns are trash, and lovingly praise the beat-up SKS they picked up out of the jungle mud that has never misfired. The ARs (and M16s) have been redesigned and upgraded multiple times, and a modern custom-built AR clone isn't even in the same class as the "no cleaning required" first generation Colt AR-15.

So neither is perfect, neither is trash. Both serve a purpose.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:06 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Already mentioned, but early versions of the Mini-14 did have thin barrels with a piston vent attached to the top. With rapid shooting the barrel heated up unevenly and drifted. There is a reason why bench-shooters take great pains to keep anything from touching the barrel. Ruger has re-designed the Mini-14 to improve accuracy, and the target/varmit versions with aftermarket triggers are probably quite accurate. I have not shot one of the new versions.

I have older relatives who fought in Vietnam who wouldn't shoot an AR-15 (or a clone). They think those plastic guns are trash, and lovingly praise the beat-up SKS they picked up out of the jungle mud that has never misfired. The ARs (and M16s) have been redesigned and upgraded multiple times, and a modern custom-built AR clone isn't even in the same class as the "no cleaning required" first generation Colt AR-15.

So neither is perfect, neither is trash. Both serve a purpose.
Yeah, I have one of those early pencil barrel Mini-14 Rugers. Bought it new 30 some years ago, but never have fired it.
As stated in my earlier post I need to add an Accu-strut to it before giving it to my son. If it can hit a reacup dish @ 100 yards, that's good enough for me and probably him.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:45 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times
In my personal opinion I don't hate the RM14 but I would take any of the AR Platforms over it any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But thats me. Its a rugged gun, but I just don't like it. I owned a Standard SS version and shot it a few times and could not hit the broad side of a barn from the inside at a CMP shoot. Had several others shoot it and same thing. Called Ruger and they gave me a story about how they used worn tooling that made for inaccurate guns. I sold it and built a left handed AR to go with my full size Colt and my full sized PWA AR. Since have bought a M4 colt and would not trade one for two rugers. I love Ruger also. They make great guns. I would take a look at their AR platform. I won't call anyone wrong if you don't agree with me, its just a diff. of opinion.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:10 AM

130 posts, read 224,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

Is it a case of people who haven't actually shot one trashing it or are the people who don't like it mostly AR fanboys? Or are there legitimate reasons why it is a poor rifle?
It isn't a poor rifle. Within it's design parameters it's better than an AR in that it will tolerate poor quality ammo, less cleaning, and more general neglect while still functioning 100%. As you noted they are generally less accurate but the new models have improved upon that to a degree. You are also correct in that a lot of criticism of the Mini comes from AR fanboys and a lot come from internet commandos who have no experience with one but wish to seem knowledgeable. The reality is that they make a better patrol rifle for most PDs but aren't "kewl" enough.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Why do people on firearms internet forums trash this rifle so much? The two main complaints about the Mini-14 seem to be that it is SLIGHTLY less accurate than an AR and it doesn't accept as many accessories. I'm just curious because the Mini-14 receives a lot of hate on forums but the reviews of it are almost universally positive.

Is it a case of people who haven't actually shot one trashing it or are the people who don't like it mostly AR fanboys? Or are there legitimate reasons why it is a poor rifle?
I think mostly fanboys and guys that wear MARPAT and boonie hats to the range.

The AR is great and certainly kicks the mini's butt in many categories, but the reality is that the Mini is PROBABLY a better platform for most people that would go out and buy a complete carbine to serve as a plinking / truck gun and it's a lot cheaper for people who just want an "assault weapon" (whatever that is) that will spend all of its time in a safe. The inherent accuracy isn't going to be as good on average as an off-the-shelf AR, but that AR isn't necessarily going to outshoot the Mini if it's fed surplus ammunition manufactured to 3 MOA spec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting