Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times

Advertisements

HELP!

I continue to have problems with the fired percussion cap ripping open upon firing, like a peeled banana. No amount of pre-pinching will,of course, hold such a ripped-up cap in place. I switched to TRESO (made from Ampco alloy) aftermarket nipples. They are much better looking, but still, despite the promises, the caps still rip apart, fall off and then drop into the "gubbins", jamming the hammer up and requiring that I get out a sharp pick and retrieve it on the shooting line. What a drag!

This is apparently not unusual, but so many people have told me those aftermarket nipples would fix it. How, pray tell? (And, they did not fix anything!)

I may now have to modify the revolver's frame, by drilling a small hole (0.5 to 0.75mm of so diameter) then placing a suitable rod into that open frame slot. I'd have to then also open up the slot in the hammer to allow it to move over and not hit that new pin. The idea is that a vertical pin in the right place would not allow the spent cap to fall off and then into the firearm's inner workings, jamming it all up!

Anyone hear of this pin mod being done, or have had it done and/or can comment on it's usefulness?

Otherwise, IMHO, these revolvers are, for all intents and purposes, useless as shooters. I cannot imagine Sam Colt having put up with this obvious design failing, but then it turns out he died literally months before the 1862 got out into "commerce" in any numbers.

But also, why have the aftermarket guys not worked this out?

Gawd, what a pain! It's indeed a very pretty revolver, but functionally useless! I mean, can you imagine being in a street fight?

"Hold on, Nabisco Kid!! First I've got to unjam my revolver's hammer for my second shot at you! Oh... you too, huh? Well, take your time!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
So your nipples are causing you problems? LOL

Buddy of mine filled in the slot on the hammer of his 1860 army with JB weld as well as learning the tilt and flip while chocking. He can rip through five shots pretty damn quick. I believe he also tried different nipple/cap combos.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
I would try different brands of caps first; the caps shouldn't shred in the first place. But cap 'n ball revolvers (especially the cheap italian ones) are crazy-finnicky, almost impossible to tune and often just plain crap out of the box.

RWS caps were always my favorite before I went to flint... I never had a problem with them when I had a BP revolver many moons ago.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times
That cap shredding would almost seem to indicate high backpressure.....are you SURE you're loading the proper amount and type of powder?!???

Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM

The suggested load for a .36cal (.380 lead ball size..) 1862 is (when weighed..) 15 to 20 grains of FFFg, or Pyrodex. P (pistol).

Then you compress it all down with no air between the ball and powder. I have also tried those pre-lubed wads, but some say to leave them out.

I have worked my way on down to 15 - 17 grains of powder, and no matter what load, it always banana-splits those caps, even when they are fitted to those special Treso nipples.

I've also tried both sizes of caps, and am using CCI caps. Those should be of good quality I would imagine.

It's a stumper, for sure!

Oh btw, I have indeed heard of the JB Weld solution, and may try that one, since it can be easily reversed. I'll let y'all know. As well, I have heard that the latest Uberti revolvers have far better QC than they had even 5 years ago. hopefully that's true.

Meantime, I don't really see any obvious fit and finish quality problems, and with those new Treso nipples any operational issues would not really affect the pressure dynamics within the cylinder and nipple combo.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
The CCI caps are the problem. I hate using CCI caps in my revolvers. Remington or RWS caps are better for the revolvers (Remington quality control can be spotty so watch the caps as you put them on).

Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,997 times
Caps do this. Its not rare. I have had caps split when I had no powder and just popped a cap. Its one of the issues with BPR shooting.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The CCI caps are the problem. I hate using CCI caps in my revolvers. Remington or RWS caps are better for the revolvers (Remington quality control can be spotty so watch the caps as you put them on).
Sadly though arctic, I have indeed tried CCI & Remington, plus some imported Italian off brands. Perhaps it's partially a cap-size issue, but I have also tried both #11s and #10s, even with those aftermarket high end nipples. All with the same result! Splittzo!

Whaddah *****!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:30 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
You might try looking for old tins (actually mine are in black plastic containers the same size as tins) of CVA brass percussion caps from I think the 1980's. They're thicker metal. Only problem is 20+ year old caps aren't always reliable...

Old 09-04-2013, 07:20 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
I'm guessing here, but maybe the problem is the hammer is striking too "deep", and it's splitting the caps by driving them too far onto the nipple?

Maybe some JB Weld on the hammer or frame to limit how far the hammer goes forward?

If this is the problem maybe changing the profile of the part of the hammer that hits the cap will help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting