Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,256,227 times

Advertisements

I have seen many people load their handguns with hollow points but never tested their guns with anything but ball ammo. Hollow points are expensive but what is your life worth? If a person is going to use a gun for a carry weapon, then they best test that firearm with the ammo they will carry in it.

Back years ago I owned a gun and pawn shop and I was always amazed at how many people have never shot their carry gun with the ammo they carried in it. While modern duty type weapons usually would not have an issue with most ammo types, some smaller semi autos can jam with hollow points and even with different weight ball ammo. Read the manufacturers manual as to what ammo is recommended and if none then try to read up online what works best with your type of firearm.

If you carry then please do yourself a favor and test your firearm with mix and match ammo to see which ammo functions the best. The best ammo for a firearm is not always the one articles in magazines recommend but the one that will flawlessly function in your weapon and if that ammo is also the one written as the best people stoppers in articles then all the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,169,572 times
Yep. Everyone should buy multiple brands and weights of ammo and test them. You have to know what feeds well, what is accurate, what is dirty or clean. I learned that long ago as a kid shooting a .22. Certain ammo worked well, others would fly off and miss the target twenty feet away.

I work with a guy who owns a 9mm semi auto. I was asking him about it one day and he told me he's only shot four rounds into a dirt pile. That's it, four rounds. I told him he needs to put at least a few hundred rounds of different makes and weights through it in order to know what works, he just laughed and said it goes bang when I pull the trigger.

Then I asked him if he cleans or lubes his gun. You don't want to know the answer to that question.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 PM

175 posts, read 315,445 times
Crazy if you don't. Most guns nbeed about 100 rounds through them to settle in. Plus, like posted above, all guns will have personalities and prefer one type of ammo over another.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
To me it would be foolish not to, especially if you're carrying a gun with a tight tolerance such as a 1911. Of the three 1911 style pistols I have, I only carry one of them, my Springfield EMP in .40. I've put not just ball ammo through it but also the Ranger T ammo as well.

I plan on getting the 9mm version after deployment. Love that little pistol.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Always.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
Agree strongly. If you are carrying a "self defense" load you need to know how accurate a round it is, how reliable it is, how well you are able to handle the recoil as opposed to target load, etc. Don't want to wait until the last minute when you have to use it "for real" and get a big surprise. Like it jamming your semi-auto.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:54 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Any round you use you should run a couple hundred rounds through to see how the gun handles it and also how it feels to you.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Any round you use you should run a couple hundred rounds through to see how the gun handles it and also how it feels to you.
I'm not sure I would go that far, myself, Defensive rounds are expensive. But I did run a couple of mags through with slow fire, and then a couple with rapid fire. Made sure everything cycled properly. Each quarter, I'll shoot what's in the mags and then put in new stock.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:49 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,026,691 times
i realize i only shoot .22lr but wouldnt even consider not having full confidence in anything i was going to carry or use for self defense. I have to say many times at the range, i'll see someone walk in with their pistols (not .22), fire at most 2 mags worth, and leave. I know ammo for the "big boy guns" is far more costly then what .22lr is, and could understand if the shots they do take are in the target zone they are going after. But when at close distance they are all over the paper either due to the ammo or their own accuracy, seems to me they should stay until it's corrected.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
You bet your life, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting