Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

I bought a few knives several years ago from knifecenter and was happy with the all-around selection, pricing, and good customer service:
Knives at Knife Center

I bought one knife from Smoky Mountain, and they deluged me with printed catalogs, which I hate. I never bought another knife from them due to that. Otherwise, they were fine.

I still like S30V (stainless) for blade steel for a hunting knife. Carbon steel IMO is best for larger knives, where impact force can become enough to where the additional toughness of carbon steel becomes an advantage. For hunting, edge holding (wear resistance) is key, and S30V is good in that regard. If you don't want to spend a lot, something like AUS 8 or VG 10 will certainly do the job, just maybe require slightly more frequent resharpening. I would take something with higher Rockwell hardness if I could get it, like ZDP 189. Unfortunately this is still fairly exotic, expensive, and not used by many cutlery makers.

Here is knife center hunting knives page:
Hunting Fixed Blades - KnifeCenter

I bet that the replaceable blade system mentioned by another poster is 'Outdoor Edge.' I have one of the Kellam 'Wolverine' blades and it is interesting. It is differentially heat-treated, and they claim a Rockwell of 62-63 at the edge. It has a scandi-type edge, which may or may not appeal to you. I would want to wear gloves when skinning with it due to the lack of a guard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I contacted my son-in-law and the knife they use out there is a Havalon Piranta. Havalon Piranta Edge Blaze Orange Knife by Havalon for $45.90 | Diggs Outdoors

Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I contacted my son-in-law and the knife they use out there is a Havalon Piranta. Havalon Piranta Edge Blaze Orange Knife by Havalon for $45.90 | Diggs Outdoors
I like the idea of just swapping out a blade. Only problem is now I need to convince the wife I need to spend almost $50 on on a pocket knife for my "hobby". Especially since I managed to get 4 deer this year without one. I know thats not unreasonable, but tell that to a woman who has no use for a hunting knife...

Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 AM

109 posts, read 278,645 times
Buck 119, millions sold can't be wrong.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I like the idea of just swapping out a blade. Only problem is now I need to convince the wife I need to spend almost $50 on on a pocket knife for my "hobby". Especially since I managed to get 4 deer this year without one. I know thats not unreasonable, but tell that to a woman who has no use for a hunting knife...
How about putting it in economic terms:

4 deer = 200 lbs of meat, (at 50 lbs of clean usable meat per deer after processing)
200 lbs of meat at $3.00/lb = $600. (went with $3.00 for burger price as an average)

Now, discounting your specific situaton as I don't know your specific circumstances about how far you have to travel to get to your hunting grounds, and I don't know how much your tags are, you should still be saving in excess of at least $300 per year on meat, more if you include the fact you have pricier cuts of meat like steaks that are part of the equation.

After reading some of the other posts, and if you don't know how to sharpen a knife or invest in a sharpening system, you could go with the disposable snap blade knives.

They work, they're cheap, and you always have a fresh sharp blade to work with.

In my area they can cost from .99 cents to around $3.00, and you can buy replacement blades if you want or just dispose of the whole thing and buy another one.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Thanks mhounit I did not even know they were made there now. I guess it's down to two choices for me. My last Schrade was bought in 1985 or 6 and if you put the money out when you buy it, take care of it. Your knife should last you a lifetime. While disposable knives have their uses, I cannot be one to own it. I guess I take great pride in sharpening mine, not all people can put a good edge on a knife. I use mine for myself and maybe help others and my grandfather taught me how to sharpen them. I know I can trust the steel.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
How about putting it in economic terms:

4 deer = 200 lbs of meat, (at 50 lbs of clean usable meat per deer after processing)
200 lbs of meat at $3.00/lb = $600. (went with $3.00 for burger price as an average)

Now, discounting your specific situaton as I don't know your specific circumstances about how far you have to travel to get to your hunting grounds, and I don't know how much your tags are, you should still be saving in excess of at least $300 per year on meat, more if you include the fact you have pricier cuts of meat like steaks that are part of the equation.

After reading some of the other posts, and if you don't know how to sharpen a knife or invest in a sharpening system, you could go with the disposable snap blade knives.

They work, they're cheap, and you always have a fresh sharp blade to work with.

In my area they can cost from .99 cents to around $3.00, and you can buy replacement blades if you want or just dispose of the whole thing and buy another one.
I need to pick up a whetstone, actually. I remember my dad sharpening knives on it before we would butcher a hog. I have 3 knives that are probably good knives if they were sharpened. One is a Schrade Old Timer, one a Camillus.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 PM

82 posts, read 173,511 times
There are many great options...I use several Buck knives (fixed blade) that have always done well by me...Whatever you do, PLEASE check where the knife is made...If it's made in CHINA, put it down or keep on looking...So many brands have sold their souls for a few more bucks making their junk in china now...Buy US made stuff...It's a bit more expensive but will outlive you if you take care of it...Best of luck!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
kitto smoky mountain
were you looking for high grade steel or some pakistan beer can variety? ?
best bang for the buck is the old files turned into knives and kentucky steel which is not so shiny but good quality.
it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:18 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Power View Post
Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter.

162 Bushcrafter Product Detail

Cold Steel Master Hunter.

Master Hunter - Cold Steel Knives

Esee 3

ESEE Knives - Randall's Adventure and Training

Busse Combat Mean Street CG

Anniversary Mean Street CG - BUSSE COMBAT KNIFE CO.

Cold Steel SRK

Cold Steel Knives - World's Strongest Sharpest Knives

A.G Russell Drop Point Hunter (Bob Loveless design)

A.G. Russell Drop Point Hunter - KLC08512 | Cutting Edge

Randall Model 23 GameMaster

Randall Made Knives » Model 23

Just to name a "few".....

Buck, Schrade and Gerber are for Amos and Wally World shoppers.
I've had my Buck 110 since I was 14. That was 33 years ago. I've owned my Sharpfinger since I was 17 or so... 30 years. I can't count how much venison and game has been skinned and butchered with those knives. You don't have to spend a fortune to get the job done, and my old knives are still going strong.

I've recently added a small Western BSA sheath knife with a delrin handle to my working knives. It's my bird and trout knife. That one is over 40 years old.

I also have an extensive collection of BSA sheath and pocket knives, some made in the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Remington, PAL, Marbles, Cardinal, Ulster... All just great examples of USA craftsmanship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting