Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR22 View Post
My shotgun is a pistol grip mossberg 12g pump action w/ a pistol grip for pump part as well, basically I wanting to know for outside purposes something that would stop not only a person in their tracks but anything upwards of a bear as well

Does anyone know about the shells that have both pellets and slugs are they a good mix. If I have to shoot I want to kill and stop what ever it is coming for me.
It sounds like your need is home defense. I have a couple boxes of Remington Express 00 buckshot although in hindsight it's probably not the best choice. Oh sure it will put down whatever bad guy aim at, it's an excellent defense round, but the worry is over-penetration inside dwellings. jwkilgore gave good advice for your needs - be very aware of penetration. I have seen pictures of AD shotgun blasts and those pellets will puncture walls like paper. And of course they spread out with more distance from the target.

Otherwise - a few other points:
Dude don't hoard ammo. You don't need to unless you use it for sport/target shooting (and I have purchased 1,000 rounds of 9mm ammo before for that purpose). Why in the world do you need 1,000 rounds of shotgun? Trust me the zombie apocolpyse won't be coming up anytime soon.
Pistol group, LOL. Ok some manage with that, I used to own one, others will dislocate there wrist with the first shot or have it jump out of their hands, bust up there face, etc. Have you shot it at all yet? Do yourself a favor, take off the pistol grip, throw it in the trash, and put in an aftermarket Blackhawk stock or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
My shotgun is a pistol grip mossberg 12g pump action w/ a pistol grip for pump part as well, basically I wanting to know for outside purposes something that would stop not only a person in their tracks but anything upwards of a bear as well

Does anyone know about the shells that have both pellets and slugs are they a good mix. If I have to shoot I want to kill and stop what ever it is coming for me.
If you're talking about the Winchester PDX1 (three 00 Buck shot in front of a hard-cast 1-oz Foster slug), then I have no personal experience. But every review I've seen has been good (actual hands-on reviews instead of uninformed opinions). For outside shots it kinda looks like the best of both worlds. At close-in ranges the three 00 pellets spread in an even triangular pattern to give you a little more flexibility in aiming. At longer ranges (assuming you have sights on your barrel) you lose the shot but the slug flies true. You lose a little muzzle velocity over standard loads, and a little range/penetration vs. standard-size slugs. Other than being on the expensive side, they may be exactly what you're looking for. I wouldn't want to use these inside a house, though... the slug would blow through wall-board like it wasn't there.

Winchester PDX1 12 Defender (12 gauge) Gel Ammo Test - YouTube

Also, note that there are two versions of the 12-Ga PDX1. The other version is sometimes called the PDX1S and is a single pre-segmented slug that's supposed to break into three large chunks on impact.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
I'm looking to buy a boat load of ammo for my 12gauge and wondered what type brand and specifics about ammo would best be suited for self defense outside the home?

Currently it's loaded alternating between slug, buck shot, slug, buck shot etc. Is this a bad way to load a shotgun will it damage the gun to fire it this way?

I'm looking to buy atleast 1K rounds of shotgun shells so want the best bang for my buck
It won't hurt the gun to load it that way.

Two things: I would not under any circumstances load a self-defense shotgun with slugs. Heavier projectiles retain their inertia for longer and since high mass objects at speed are only "to whom it may concern", you run the risk of causing damage to someone or someone downrange from you in case you have to use it.

000 buck is nice on paper but doesn't have a whole lot of projectiles, so while the projectiles make bigger holes, you run the risk of missing with more of them. 00 buck is good, since you can get 9 pellet or 12 pellet (if you get magnum shells), and for the most projectile/bang for your buck, #1 buckshot is actually quite nice as well (12-15 pellets per shell).

Buckshot has the upside of generally being cheaper and more readily available in bulk than slugs are. You'll be able to practice with your chosen shotgun and SD ammo.

Take a look at this. It is the most enlightening read I have ever seen as far as self defense ammunition goes, testing multiple loadings for shotguns, rifles, and handguns. I based my SD ammo choices off of this and many many people vested in the gun world do as well.

Self-Defense Ammo FAQ-Handguns, Shotguns, Rifles

Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
I just ordered 100 rounds of S&B 00 buck 9 pellet. The 9 has better reviews for pattern then the 12 pellet did. Sportsmans guide has free shipping and TMD was .54 a round. I hope they ship the 10 round boxes, I prefer them over the 25s. I shopped and compared rounds and the Centurion was the cheapest at .43 for 00 buck 9pellet and had good reviews. For home defense the 00 buck has the best reviews. SG is the only place right now that has any coupons that I could find. Cabelas has a free shipping on 250 or more. But their prices are not all that great on 12ga. SGAmmo has great prices but the shipping was not inexpensive. I don't think I have ever ordered any ammo from SG before so can't say if they are good at shipping. SGAmmo is a bit slow. They take a week or more to get an order out due to high demand. My walmart does not have any cheap 12ga 00 buck. The best I have is the 4.99 for a box of 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting