Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,988,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Vogel is a fantastic shooter. But the fact that he uses a Glock doesn't mean that the Glock is superior. As you astutely pointed out, it's the indian, not the bow. But if generalities are to be drawn, it would make sense to generalize from the average, rather than an extreme outlier.

Tori is another great shooter. But her use of a Glock is more tied to her being a Glock tam shooter, rather than the (supposed) superiority of the pistol.
My point in all of this is that the Glock is PLENTY accurate. Its trigger is JUST FINE. Those are the main "knocks" the 1911 crowd typically makes.

Now, where does it stand out?

-No 1911 holds over a dozen rounds of .45 ACP without getting seriously fat.

-The 1911 requires more maintenance.

-The feed-angle and the fact that the extractor is its own spring...and is ALSO involved in the feeding operation is a reliability issue (part of what I ran into on my Wilson Combat. Those guys at Wilson (Jim Wilson, to be exact, based on my paperwork) could not tune it to eject consistently without the cases wedging between the breechface and the extractor hook. The extractor is a huge point of contention because it does the job of 2-3 parts, and does none of them well if there is even the tiniest variance in its profiling or tensioning.

-the barrel link, lock-up method, etc. are just superflous and overly complex compared to the locking method of the Glock, M&P, SIG etc. A Glock/SIG/H&K/M&P with a fitted Barsto barrel will shoot groups as well as a 1911 with a custom barrel for the most part, so I do NOT buy the 1911 system as superior, there, and further, the P210 stomps 1911's on the 50 yard line (mainly due to ergonomics, etc.) and incorporates features that make it far better suited to combat AND accuracy togather. They last much longer than 1911's before tuning is necessary, AND all of their parts interchange. They are not hand-fitted to each gun, but rather, to interchange among any P210 of that model.

A lot of development has occurred since the 1911 made its debut. Much of which we can thank JMB for. It's a great pistol, but its superiority is limited only to ergonomics (opinion of the user) and the trigger (again, opinion, as Vogel likes the Glock trigger better.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:50 PM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
God himself created the 1911, and used his servant John Moses Browning to build it.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
God himself created the 1911, and used his servant John Moses Browning to build it.
...and then he corrected his flaws with the HiPower...

Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
...and then he corrected his flaws with the HiPower...
I would tend to agree. However, even the "improved" Hi-Power doesn't come anywhere close to the popularity of the 1911.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I would tend to agree. However, even the "improved" Hi-Power doesn't come anywhere close to the popularity of the 1911.
That's like arguing that the Toyota Camry is the best car because it's so popular. Not really.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
That's like arguing that the Toyota Camry is the best car because it's so popular. Not really.
No, it would be like arguing that the Camry is better than a comparable Kia, not that it is the best car.

There are nearly 40 years of data showing the dominance of the 1911 in "action" shooting competitions while during the same time period, the use of the Hi-Power in those competitions is statistically insignificant. When loot and glory are on the line, the winners (and nearly everyone else) shunned the Hi-Power in favor of the 1911. There are meaningful reasons why.

Don't take from this that I don't like the Hi-Power. I in fact love it. It is a very elegant pistol. My next custom gun will probably be a Hi-Power (check out the Signature Grade Hi-Power from Heirloom Precision. That gun is pure sex. Signature Grade Hi-Power ). But it would be unfair to say that the changes made to the Hi-Power make it superior to the 1911.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
I wonder if you can make this comparison... look at a Toyota Prius vs a 71' Dodge Hemi Challenger or Cuda. Both will get you from point A to point B, one needs more upkeep, one is worth more, one will hold it's value or increase... just which one do you want ?
My EDC carry is either a Glock G27, M&P.40C or a M&P Shield in .40... I collect 1911's. When I want to go to the range and enjoy my shooting as opposed to training I take my 1911's. My 1911's are heirloom pieces that I will go to the grave owning, the other combat tupperware are just appliances.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I wonder if you can make this comparison... look at a Toyota Prius vs a 71' Dodge Hemi Challenger or Cuda. Both will get you from point A to point B, one needs more upkeep, one is worth more, one will hold it's value or increase... just which one do you want ?
My EDC carry is either a Glock G27, M&P.40C or a M&P Shield in .40... I collect 1911's. When I want to go to the range and enjoy my shooting as opposed to training I take my 1911's. My 1911's are heirloom pieces that I will go to the grave owning, the other combat tupperware are just appliances.
I've never seen a 1911 without historical significance (due to what it was used for or who made it) hold its value. If you want a gun that holds its value, buy a Glock 19 slightly used. Seriously. It holds its value like a Toyota. Also, a while back, the Prius was selling for more used than it did new, I believe. I don't like them, but that is fact as I understand it.

All guns are appliances. Some people just also treat them like ming vases. That's well and good, but I don't have Ming vases, or "Ming vases". However, collection, appreciation of the genius that was JMB, etc. I can totally relate. My Dad is like that. Has all manner of "cool" stuff. Thompson, Calico, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
I've never seen a 1911 without historical significance (due to what it was used for or who made it) hold its value. If you want a gun that holds its value, buy a Glock 19 slightly used. Seriously. It holds its value like a Toyota. Also, a while back, the Prius was selling for more used than it did new, I believe. I don't like them, but that is fact as I understand it.

All guns are appliances. Some people just also treat them like ming vases. That's well and good, but I don't have Ming vases, or "Ming vases". However, collection, appreciation of the genius that was JMB, etc. I can totally relate. My Dad is like that. Has all manner of "cool" stuff. Thompson, Calico, etc.
Are you serious ? You sound like you know quite a bit about the subject but tend to disagree with you on this. I'm no expert on the subject but I've seen 1911's built by various high end smiths go for more than the original build price. That might be more about who built it rather then the gun itself , rarity, I don't know. I fairly confident I can sell one of mine for what I paid for it 4 years ago. A Glock will loose some then settle at a price and sit there so , depreciation like car I guess , so I agree with that.
I'm still going to say 1911's, certain revolvers and of certain rifles hold their value much better than the plastic guns. I don't see too many heirloom Glock collections...

Buy and shoot what you like, I do and enjoy shooting both.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:32 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,109,791 times
While I enjoy my 1911s, my EDC and HD handguns are Glocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting