Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,222,371 times

Advertisements

go on youtube sometime, you can watch a guy shoot a snubnose revolver at targets out to 300 meters and hitting them. anyone who said snubnose only has an effective range of 50 feet is full of bunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 05:43 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,463,893 times
your life is on the line. your nervous, shaking, scared shi*less. You miss with your first shot, have to pull back the hammer, and aim again. theres no room for error. It could just be too much. Semi auto. boom boom boom boom boom....... a lot easier in a high stress situation is my logic.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,028,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
your life is on the line. your nervous, shaking, scared shi*less. You miss with your first shot, have to pull back the hammer, and aim again. theres no room for error. It could just be too much. Semi auto. boom boom boom boom boom....... a lot easier in a high stress situation is my logic.
Ah yes, the "spray and pray" approach. Saturate the area with lead and you're certain to hit your assailant. While I agree about being scared or nervous and that affecting your skills, this is exactly why I am a big advocate of training. Training to the point where instinct kicks in and over-rides that fear. You always have the right to defend yourself, but you never have the right to hurt a by-stander while defending yourself. If you are going "boom boom boom boom boom" you are dramatically increasing the likelihood of hurting someone otherwise not involved in the incident.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,915,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
go on youtube sometime, you can watch a guy shoot a snubnose revolver at targets out to 300 meters and hitting them. anyone who said snubnose only has an effective range of 50 feet is full of bunk.
I once had a Charter Arms 2000 .38 Special "undercover" snubby that I couldn't hit crap with. Not even at 7 yards. It was a chincy little gun, poor quality imo, so I got rid of it. The lady who bought it can hit a window mounted A/C unit with it out to 100 yards { or so I've been told. Never actually witnessed it for myself, and I am admittedly a bit skeptical }

On the other hand, my groupings with my Taurus .38 M85 are pretty good at threat distance.

Different firearms will work differenmtly in the hands of different people. That's a given.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,915,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I have never once claimed to be an expert in any sense of the word, but I see a lot of flaws in your logic here....
Quote:
You miss with your first shot, have to pull back the hammer
Pull back the hammer? You're shooting in single action mode? In a self defense situation? Why? That could cost you precious time you don't have. In a rapidly evolving SD situation, the time it takes you to pull the hammer back could make a world of difference. No need to pull the hammer back on a DA revolver.
Quote:
and aim again.
You're aiming?

So not only did you have the time to pull the hammer back, aim, pull the trigger, and miss, but now you have the time to pull the hammer back again, aim and fire again?

This sounds less and less like a self defense situation to me, and more like an offensive situation. Now, I'm not saying you don't aim, but in self defense situations, isn't the aiming mostly point shooting at a close range? Meaning, you're not aligning the sights the way you would at a target down range?

If you have the time to do all of this, then you have the time to try and get away without using your firearm....
Quote:
Semi auto. boom boom boom boom boom....... a lot easier
Irresponsible advice on many levels for reasons that have already been posted. Here's what BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM gets you:

NYPD: 9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire | Fox News

Again, not an expert. Just my opinion.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,001,088 times
Let's phrase this another way...why would anyone use a revolver?

Ammunition------Wash, unless you are hunting, both offer similarly powered cartridges
Capacity------------------Advantage semi-auto
Slimmer profile-------------------Advantage semi-auto
Acceptable mechanical accuracy--Wash (we aren't shooting bulls-eye, we are wanting something that can shoot at least a 3" target at 25 yards, and both can do it.)
Reliability------------------------Wash, this can be argued many ways, but plenty of revolvers and semi-autos run just fine.
Reloads-------------------------Advantage semi-auto, clearly.
Recoil--------------------------Advantage semi-auto due to lower bore axis, polymer frames (they flex and absorb energy), etc.

So really, what is the reason one would choose the wheel-gun? All I have seen in this thread is a weak attempt to JUSTIFY the wheelgun, noone has really said anything about it being superior that can be shown as fact. There have been training issues, techniques, and "what if's" brought up, but nothing about the wheel gun has been shown to be factually superior FOR THE USE INTENDED.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:46 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,115,125 times
This debate will go on from now on, I don't think there is an answer. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry in 45 ACP caliber, but there are times I switch to my S&W 386 in 357 caliber, and at other times I might carry a Rock Island Armory double stack 9 MM (17 rounds). I own five different J Frame S&W revolvers, and none of them make me feel like I have real protection. On national TV a lawyer was shot at 5 times at about five yards, as he dodged behind a small tree, the shooter finally just walked away. Human beings who have been shot do not act like what you see on a TV show, no matter how fatal the shot will be, they will live long enough to shoot back, unless they are hit in the spine or head. No matter what you carry, your very best defense is situational awareness. One huge advantage to a semi auto carry weapon is reloading it after it is fired repeatedly. A full magazine is much quicker to reload the auto loader pistol, than using a speed loader to reload a revolver. But very few people practice shooting reactive targets and reloading their weapon anyway. You can be armed with the very best possible firearm available, and if you are not paying attention to what is going on around you, and if you have not practiced, and practiced, and practiced some more, it won't make any difference. The best shooter with the most experience will probably be the winner in a gun fight.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,001,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite ryder View Post
this debate will go on from now on, i don't think there is an answer. I carry a kimber ultra carry in 45 acp caliber, but there are times i switch to my s&w 386 in 357 caliber, and at other times i might carry a rock island armory double stack 9 mm (17 rounds). I own five different j frame s&w revolvers, and none of them make me feel like i have real protection. On national tv a lawyer was shot at 5 times at about five yards, as he dodged behind a small tree, the shooter finally just walked away. Human beings who have been shot do not act like what you see on a tv show, no matter how fatal the shot will be, they will live long enough to shoot back, unless they are hit in the spine or head. No matter what you carry, your very best defense is situational awareness. One huge advantage to a semi auto carry weapon is reloading it after it is fired repeatedly. A full magazine is much quicker to reload the auto loader pistol, than using a speed loader to reload a revolver. But very few people practice shooting reactive targets and reloading their weapon anyway. You can be armed with the very best possible firearm available, and if you are not paying attention to what is going on around you, and if you have not practiced, and practiced, and practiced some more, it won't make any difference. The best shooter with the most experience will probably be the winner in a gun fight.
+1

Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,222,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
This debate will go on from now on, I don't think there is an answer. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry in 45 ACP caliber, but there are times I switch to my S&W 386 in 357 caliber, and at other times I might carry a Rock Island Armory double stack 9 MM (17 rounds). I own five different J Frame S&W revolvers, and none of them make me feel like I have real protection. On national TV a lawyer was shot at 5 times at about five yards, as he dodged behind a small tree, the shooter finally just walked away. Human beings who have been shot do not act like what you see on a TV show, no matter how fatal the shot will be, they will live long enough to shoot back, unless they are hit in the spine or head. No matter what you carry, your very best defense is situational awareness. One huge advantage to a semi auto carry weapon is reloading it after it is fired repeatedly. A full magazine is much quicker to reload the auto loader pistol, than using a speed loader to reload a revolver. But very few people practice shooting reactive targets and reloading their weapon anyway. You can be armed with the very best possible firearm available, and if you are not paying attention to what is going on around you, and if you have not practiced, and practiced, and practiced some more, it won't make any difference. The best shooter with the most experience will probably be the winner in a gun fight.

I just carry both. 2 semis and 1 revolver.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,115,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I just carry both. 2 semis and 1 revolver.
I didn't mention in my above post that I always carry a Diamondback DB9 (9MM) in an ankle holster. It's the smallest 9MM pistol on the market. I also carry an extra loaded magazine for the gun in my left front pants pocket. An ankle holster is easier to draw from when you are seated in a vehicle, than any other holster except a shoulder holster. The Diamondback is not as easy to fire accurately as the Kimber or the S&W 386, but if I was disarmed I doubt that whoever disarmed me would suspect that I still have a decent firearm on me. For most of us a situation will probably never happen where we need to defend our own life, but if it should, it is best to be prepared. You can not prepare for every eventuality, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting