Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:35 AM

893 posts, read 888,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I carry both. I carry 2 Glock 17's in 9mm, one on my right hip and one in the small of my back, with a 4 magazine pouch on the left side.

I also carry in an ankle holster a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. Both of the firearms use the same type of ammo (critical defense), just different calibers.

I am also thinking of using a Maxpedition Versipack for my main CCW firearm.
I just read where a guy slipped and fell on ice, landed on his back, on his gun and had career ending surgery.

I never thought of that before but after reading that (and another similar accident) I would think twice about carrying in the back.

Last edited by iowa4430; 08-01-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,175,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracord 550 View Post
Part #3 is your friend. It's a firing pin block. Means it won't go off until you fully depress the trigger.
I think the poster you were replying to was suggesting that the gun being in the sob position was the problem. Fall on your back with a lump of steel between your spine and the ground, and it's going to be a bad day.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,107,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Point #1 To Consider:
Yeah, semi-auto's are compact, thinner, lighter, and easier to carry, they often hold a few more rounds, they are stylish and just downright cool! But, in a real self defense application, I see NO advantage whatsoever to a semi-auto. First, you probably aren't going to need more rounds then what a revolver can carry in your average self defense scenerio........

Point #2 To Consider
Secondly, semi-auto's are less reliable. Yeah, the differences are minimal, but they are there. There is no such thing 100% reliable ammunition. .......

Point #3 To Consider
Third, with a semi-auto you have to worry about jams, FTC's, and FTE's....

Point #4 To Consider
Fourth, if you find yourself in a situation where you have to use your firearm for self defense, there's a good chance that you've been knocked to the ground and have a thug on top of you.........
Point 1: I've been trained to carry a minimal of three magazines and I always do.

Point 2: If the ammo fails, eject the round, move to the next. If the ammo fails a lot, drop the mag, move to the next.

Point 3: On jams, clear it and carry on which may include dropping the mag and going to the next.

Point 4: Well let's just say between training on how fast an assailant can cross ground and my own martial arts training, that scenario is bound to turn up very interesting.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 AM

28,713 posts, read 18,897,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Let's phrase this another way...why would anyone use a revolver?

Ammunition------Wash, unless you are hunting, both offer similarly powered cartridges
Capacity------------------Advantage semi-auto
Slimmer profile-------------------Advantage semi-auto
Acceptable mechanical accuracy--Wash (we aren't shooting bulls-eye, we are wanting something that can shoot at least a 3" target at 25 yards, and both can do it.)
Reliability------------------------Wash, this can be argued many ways, but plenty of revolvers and semi-autos run just fine.
Reloads-------------------------Advantage semi-auto, clearly.
Recoil--------------------------Advantage semi-auto due to lower bore axis, polymer frames (they flex and absorb energy), etc.

So really, what is the reason one would choose the wheel-gun? All I have seen in this thread is a weak attempt to JUSTIFY the wheelgun, noone has really said anything about it being superior that can be shown as fact. There have been training issues, techniques, and "what if's" brought up, but nothing about the wheel gun has been shown to be factually superior FOR THE USE INTENDED.
With a shrouded hammer, shoots repeatedly through an overcoat jacket pocket while in a parking lot on a winter night.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,006,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
With a shrouded hammer, shoots repeatedly through an overcoat jacket pocket while in a parking lot on a winter night.
This is the one possible advantage. Semi-auto, you only get one shot before you likely need to perform remedial action.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,144,881 times
I am an ex-bullseye competitor. I say ex because at my age, my wrist and arm just won't let me hold the groups I once did. I have 3 semi auto handguns 2 carry weapons, .40 and 9mm, and my bullseye .45.

Of the 2 carry weapons I have run approximately 12 -15,000 rounds thru each one. Neither one has ever jambed or even stove piped. My bullseye gun has stove piped a couple times. Never during practice with my ball ammo, but instead, during competition shooting furnished ammo.

I would say that semi auto's are pretty reliable. For those that talk about semis jamming all the time, you need a "competent junsmith or an armourer. Choose you ammo carefully.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,923,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Point 1: I've been trained to carry a minimal of three magazines and I always do.

Point 2: If the ammo fails, eject the round, move to the next. If the ammo fails a lot, drop the mag, move to the next.

Point 3: On jams, clear it and carry on which may include dropping the mag and going to the next.
You're talking about this in the context of a gun fight..... The vast majority of us will never have to use our carry weapons for a self defense situation, let alone a gun fight.

Most self defense situations are gong to be over and done with in a matter of seconds, there aren't going to be any droppings of the mag and moving to the next.....

Old 08-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You're talking about this in the context of a gun fight..... The vast majority of us will never have to use our carry weapons for a self defense situation, let alone a gun fight.

Most self defense situations are gong to be over and done with in a matter of seconds, there aren't going to be any droppings of the mag and moving to the next.....
About the "majority of us"......true and I hope I'm in that majority. I recall once where I was looking at a concealed holster and commented to the salesman how it didn't provide for a spare magazine.

"You're a civilian. If you need a second magazine, you're in the wrong gun fight."

QUITE FRANKLY, I hope I'm never in any gun fight.

But.....in the event it might come to that, then I train for multiple target engagements, of covering multiple targets in the visual range, of coming up for a window of fire and then ducking back under cover, of having the energy (or at least using it up), to go through a 3 magazine, 31 round engagement, of keeping track of my rounds so it's an automatic mental process and being ready to pull magazine 2, 3 from my shoulder holster, and so forth.

Finally, just as an aside. You know one of the advantages of using a shoulder holster? When you are on the can, you aren't disarmed.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,923,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
About the "majority of us"......true and I
hope I'm in that majority. I recall once where I was looking at a concealed
holster and commented to the salesman how it didn't provide for a spare
magazine.
"You're a civilian. If you need a second magazine, you're in the wrong gun
fight."

QUITE FRANKLY, I hope I'm never in any gun fight.
But.....in the event it might come to that, then I train for multiple target
engagements, of covering multiple targets in the visual range, of coming up for
a window of fire and then ducking back under cover, of having the energy (or at
least using it up), to go through a 3 magazine, 31 round engagement, of keeping
track of my rounds so it's an automatic mental process and being ready to pull
magazine 2, 3 from my shoulder holster, and so forth.
I've noticed that there are always a few people who carry as if they plan on taking a walk through Afghanistan, carrying two or even sometimes 3 firearms at once, and carrying multiple magazines. I don't judge anyone for doing that. It's not my place to do so, but I would venture to say that the majority of people who carry do not have all that firepower on them. Personally, I just don't think it's necessary. It's overkill, and the cost to benefit ratio just doesn't make sense. If I was a cop, or worked as a body guard, or was otherwise in a position that may require me to go on the offensive, then I could understand. But just going about my daily life? Too much of an { unnecessary } burden, YMMV
Quote:
Finally, just as an aside. You know one of the advantages of using a shoulder
holster? When you are on the can, you aren't disarmed.
I'll be carrying IWB { if I ever get my holster } and I won't be disarmed on the can either. I'll just take my firearm and put it in my underwear. That also keeps you from forgetting your firearm in the stall { believe it or not, it happens }

Old 08-05-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I've noticed that there are always a few people who carry as if they plan on taking a walk through Afghanistan, carrying two or even sometimes 3 firearms at once, and carrying multiple magazines. I don't judge anyone for doing that. It's not my place to do so, but I would venture to say that the majority of people who carry do not have all that firepower on them. Personally, I just don't think it's necessary. It's overkill, and the cost to benefit ratio just doesn't make sense. If I was a cop, or worked as a body guard, or was otherwise in a position that may require me to go on the offensive, then I could understand. But just going about my daily life? Too much of an { unnecessary } burden, YMMV.........
Well, at least consider training against a multiple target engagement. It could help prevent target fixation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting