Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 02:04 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times

Advertisements

+1 What Whippersnapper said about the Judge. Just...No!

With arthritus can you rack the slide of a semi auto? It is possible to have small "wings" welded to the slide to assist. If so test different guns to find one you can rack easily.

Option two, a DA/SA revolver. Can you (good lord, site censored the word LOL) co_ck the hammer with your thumbs?

Consider a semi auto shotgun, or a double barrel coach gun (Stoger) for home defense.

Try to find a good gun store willing to help you. Be safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
Get a 32acp revolver and carry concealed, never open.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Many revolvers, if not most, that chamber the .32 auto are certainly very small and very concealable. However, many were originally made for the much lower pressure .32 S & W cartridge so it's really not good practice to fire these. Most were actually made for the British .320, another black powder cartridge which has the same head dimensions as the .32 Colt Short but is shorter.

Almost all are Belgian and Spanish trade guns and carry no manufacturer's name. Few were made after 1914 and none after World War II. The Germans did issue a few to civilians in the latter days of the war but only out of desperation. Arminius was a German brand with quality equivalent to Iver Johnson and Hopkins and Allen. Another firm has used the trade name since the war, but the guns are different.

They're commonly called Belgian puppies (collectors' whimsical term to emphasize how much smaller they are than British Bulldogs). They're fun to collect as no two ever seem to be identical; they were dirt cheap until a few years ago. Calibers range from 5mm to .380 (not .380 auto, but .380 British) many were chambered for .22 Velo-Dog so they're all someties collectively called Velo-Dog revolvers.

No modern revolvers are specifically chambered for the .32 A.C.P. However, any modern revolver chambered for .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R magnum, or .327 magnum will safely chamber them; head dimensons are identical. Reloading dies are identical, but the .32 A.C.P. uses a different shell holder because of the smaller rim.

S&W has made a number of runs of J-frames in .32 H&R magnum: the ..32 S&W Long was standard for over a century. The .327 magnum is a powerful defensive cartridge and the .32 H&R magnums very practical. However, limited numbers of the Smith J-frame have raised the prices to four figures. H&R did make some, but they're not common as the original company failed shortly after their introduction.

I've linked to a typical ''Puppy''. There are many others on the website as well as a plethora of other interesting Belgian guns. A sister site, littlegun.info, has many interesting guns from other countries.

Nouvelle page 0

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 08-09-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
I am man in my 40's and asked the same question to the nice guy behind the counter last year. He said here's the truth quietly " the chance you will need this will probably be small and if you fire 1-2 of anything at anyone they gonna run fast watch the YT videos of bad guys shot at they a'int tough!"

I bought a LCP .380 because I couldn't rent one. I have mixed feelings with a micro pocket rocket. Hurts to shoot, too small for 2 hands............but I can pull and fire 1 center mass point shoot real fast. It's so small with heavy trigger you would never, ever know I have it in my pocket. Smaller than smartphone. Kahr PM9 works well too.

Will I sell it, no I will just trade up my .357 for a Glock 19 with high cap mag and Hornady.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 AM

329 posts, read 387,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Where do you get moon clips for that. Never seen a revo chambered .32acp.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
Don't need moon clips, use a 327mag revolver.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,519 times
I am now considering the Ruger LCRx as I hear the trigger is very good and I like the single/double action it offers.

anyone have one of these that can let me know more "real" info on them?

I will be taking my firearms safety course first week of Sept. then off to my police station to attempt to get my license to carry, from good old Massachusetts.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:49 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I am now considering the Ruger LCRx as I hear the trigger is very good and I like the single/double action it offers.

anyone have one of these that can let me know more "real" info on them?

I will be taking my firearms safety course first week of Sept. then off to my police station to attempt to get my license to carry, from good old Massachusetts.
I'm fairly certain that in the state of Mass. not only do you have to get a permit to carry a handgun, but you also have to get a permit to even buy one. You're aware of this, correct? Your police chief or sheriff has to approve of the purchase, and issue a Firearm Owners Identification Card or some other such nonsense.

From what I understand, they are very restrictive about this process, so I can only imagine how restrictive they are about issuing carry permits. You said earlier in the thread that the area you are moving to has a lot of crime and poverty, leading me to believe you're moving to a more urban area closer to a city, making it even less likely you'll be approved for the permits required.

Keep us posted, and good luck, I have a feeling you're going to need it.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-12-2014 at 04:13 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 04:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,519 times
Oh I will keep you posted. You apply for either class A carry B carry or just firearms ID, in MA at the police station, the course I am taking fulfills the requirements and they help you with the application. I have non of the disqualifiers.

When we move it will be to Weirton WV. At least there I can get a carry permit with no problem it is a shall issue state, I could also open carry and buy just about any weapon . However I want to get started with my training and practice while still here in MA. The Ruger LCRx that I am interested in is on the approved gun list for MA.

So yes I have been doing all my homework.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:51 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Oh I will keep you posted. You apply for either class A carry B carry or just firearms ID, in MA at the police station, the course I am taking fulfills the requirements and they help you with the application. I have non of the disqualifiers.

When we move it will be to Weirton WV. At least there I can get a carry permit with no problem it is a shall issue state, I could also open carry and buy just about any weapon . However I want to get started with my training and practice while still here in MA. The Ruger LCRx that I am interested in is on the approved gun list for MA.

So yes I have been doing all my homework.
It doesn't always matter if you have fulfilled the training requirements and are legally eligible. They can deny it for any reason, or no reason at all other than the fact they don't think you "need" a handgun.

If you're moving to WV, you'll be in a much more free state. Honestly I'd just wait until you get there to start anything, but you know your situation and what you want to do better than I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting