Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:30 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times

Advertisements

Here's a good site for assessing state gun laws and CCW reciprocity.

Handgunlaw.us

I like the 9MM cartridge for its balance of relatively low recoil, the magazine capacity it allows and ballistic preformance. I would reccommend a semi-compact 9MM that would be good for a house gun or to carry: (in order of my preference)

Semi-autos:

CZ-75D PCR or P-01
Browning Hi Power
Sig P228/P229
Glock 19

Revolvers:

Ruger SP101
Ruger GP100
Many S&W's to numerous to name.

BTW, I gave this same semi-auto 9MM recomendation to my wife who promptly ignored me and bought a Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Spl revolver. Actually, it turned out to be a very good choice for her, so maybe you also. Just wear a shooting glove when at the range, because its light, small and has some felt recoil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The glock is a very easy weapon for most casual uses to be accurate with.However the Sig is much more durable and probaly why it is the favorite of law enforcement .Whatever type you get be sure and take a handgun course.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Here is an article about the .275 Rigby:
Not exactly appropriate for someone who wants a HANDGUN and may want to carry it CONCEALED

Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Not exactly appropriate for someone who wants a HANDGUN and may want to carry it CONCEALED
[sigh] ahh wendell... he's almost cute. Like a ferret or something.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:54 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
We should all buy one of these,

Special Revolver Commemorates Landmark Heller Decision

News : Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Radio Show : High Powered Talk Radio

Old 07-20-2008, 01:56 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Thanks. I live in Arizona.
I think Arizona you only need a permit to carry concealed.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:48 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
Go with a 9mm, compact or subcompact, anyone will do basically GLOCK, XD or S&W which fits your palm better. Get a CCW permit at your sheriffs dept., check the reciprocity with different states, get a trigger lock and a lock case with it as well.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
For those interested, being uber paranoid about the absence of a manual safety, I just obtained another safety mechanism for my Glock.

(You may recall I bought a little gadget called a Safe T Blok, that snaps in behind the trigger that prevents movement of the trigger, until you pop it out with the trigger finger).

The item I just got is a locking magazine called a Saf-T-Lok (related? Not sure). I didn't buy it for the dual-button-combination-locking mechanism, but rather for a simple little switch that turns as a safety mechanism. When on safety, the trigger simply won't pull.

We fiddled around with it a bit but need to get to the range to test it out thoroughly. We tested it with snap caps and it looks like even with a round chambered, the trigger won't pull (final test pending our range trip).

So, my qualms about the Glock (which I LOVE aside from the lack of a manual safety) have been relieved.

I have two teenagers plus a 2.5 year old so we have to be super-cautious and redundant in our gun safety.

We keep the handguns in combination gunvault brand vaults, one on each floor of the house. The 1911 has a manual safety, the Springfield XD has all 3 "standard glock safeties" plus a pretty reliable grip safety. The glock is in our bedroom where our toddler spends a lot of time, so now it's in the vault, with the trigger block, and the magazine safety and I can rest at ease finally!

Just for those of you who are Glock fans, and/or folks who don't buy a Glock because of qualms about the safety...

Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 PM

42 posts, read 130,612 times
I Don't think buying gun is the good idea, you can buy other protective stuff, like spray. Because if in any case you use this , then you are going to be behind bars.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheeruyadav View Post
Because if in any case you use this , then you are going to be behind bars.
I'm not sure where you got your information but, you are mistaken. I used my firearm to stop an intruder and never even saw the inside of a police car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting