Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
MLV - So did you get a gun yet?

On the safety aspect, whatever firearm you get, it's always a good idea to teach your kids to respect gun safety rules. I know this might sound crazy, but the best way to make a child see the power of a firearm, and what it can do if safety precautions are not followed to the letter. I know you told me the age of your kids before, and I forgot, but typically it's a good idea to expose kids to reponsible and safe handling of firearms by telling them what to do, and what not to do if they find the gun. Whatever brand or caliber of firearm you get, grab a grapefruit or something similar, and shoot it at close range. Let your kids see exactly what can happen if they handle a firearm in an unsafe manner.
Great post,,couldn't agree more. We did the "see what could happen " thing with our kids at a young age and repeated it every other year when the pumpkins were ripe!. They NEVER went near the gun cabinet. I always keep the handguns in a locked safe,(except the one I'm carrying at the time),and the rifle and shotgun ammo is locked in a closet with the hunting guns. Kids aren't stupid. If you show a healthy respect for firearms they will develop that respect too. Generally my kids show little interest in hunting and guns....different generation I guess. They do know enough to stay away from guns they're not familiar with and to avoid idiots who flash or mis handle guns. let's hope it stays this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
[quote=MonaLisaVito;2464476]I've been putting it off for some time now, but after this latest whack job that killed that hiker in Georgia, I think it's time for me to get my gun.

Hopefully you guys can help me out. First off I live in Alabama. I don't know what the laws are here. Please feel free to tell me

What kind of gun to get?? I really like the Glock, but is that too big for me? I'm a female, about 5'8". I need something that is EASY to load and can be loaded in less than 5 seconds (is that possible??? LOL) I have two small kids so safety is a big issue. I spend a lot of time walking and jogging in very rural areas and secluded woods so I need something I can wear on my waist. Also, for home safety at night, I would like something that could be easily loaded in the middle of the night.

Also, is it legal to cross state borders with your gun in the car if it is not loaded? I do a lot of traveling with my kids and my husband isn't always with us.

Thanks[/QUOTE

I have a gun for protection at home but I wouldnt carry one out and about. Im not against carrying one. But the fact is you cant shoot somebody just because you dont like the way theyre looking at you. Or because they said "Hey baby wanna ...." They have to actually be attacking you and by then its too late for a gun.
Mace and bear spray present the same problems. And if the winds not right it can blow back on you. Also Im old and my aim is not the best either.

If I dont feel safe I carry a pair of Blast Knuckles. You dont have to worry about aim. Anybody you touch gets zapped. Also they cant be knocked out of your hand. Heres a site for some similar to mine.

Brass Knuckles Company Blast Knuckle Stun Gun - 950,000 volts (http://www.brassknucklescompany.com/CRE/blast-knuckle-stun-950000-volts-p-365.html - broken link)

Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Be sure to buy a gun that is as least as big as your paranoia.

If you get one too small you will have to get another one, and another, and another.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
To the OP, I'm a female at 5'4" and I have several weapons myself. I have the S&W 357 short barrel revolver and love it. It is harder to pull the trigger unless you have it on single action but small, light and compact. I have a 380 I keep in my car center console. I also have an H&K 45 (nice shooter) bedside, a Army Mossberg shotgun in corner of bedroom and a 50 caliber Desert Eagle (in safe) just for the fun of it. I'm in NC now but lived in FL and have a FL CWP that I believe is transferable with NC. Please update on what gun you got and how you like it so far.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:49 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
In the latest issue of American Rifleman, there is an article about the new Federal .327 Magnum cartridge. It looks like it might take hold as an excellent self defense round because it offers significantly lower recoil but comparable force of the .357 Magnum. It will be interesting to see if it catches on. If it does, it promises to be easier to shoot. The article covers it pretty well.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,410 times
[quote=Cecilia_Rose;3359920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I've been putting it off for some time now, but after this latest whack job that killed that hiker in Georgia, I think it's time for me to get my gun.

Hopefully you guys can help me out. First off I live in Alabama. I don't know what the laws are here. Please feel free to tell me

What kind of gun to get?? I really like the Glock, but is that too big for me? I'm a female, about 5'8". I need something that is EASY to load and can be loaded in less than 5 seconds (is that possible??? LOL) I have two small kids so safety is a big issue. I spend a lot of time walking and jogging in very rural areas and secluded woods so I need something I can wear on my waist. Also, for home safety at night, I would like something that could be easily loaded in the middle of the night.

Also, is it legal to cross state borders with your gun in the car if it is not loaded? I do a lot of traveling with my kids and my husband isn't always with us.

Thanks[/QUOTE

I have a gun for protection at home but I wouldnt carry one out and about. Im not against carrying one. But the fact is you cant shoot somebody just because you dont like the way theyre looking at you. Or because they said "Hey baby wanna ...." They have to actually be attacking you and by then its too late for a gun.
Mace and bear spray present the same problems. And if the winds not right it can blow back on you. Also Im old and my aim is not the best either.

If I dont feel safe I carry a pair of Blast Knuckles. You dont have to worry about aim. Anybody you touch gets zapped. Also they cant be knocked out of your hand. Heres a site for some similar to mine.

Brass Knuckles Company Blast Knuckle Stun Gun - 950,000 volts (http://www.brassknucklescompany.com/CRE/blast-knuckle-stun-950000-volts-p-365.html - broken link)
I carry a Glock 26 when I'm off-duty. It holds 10 rounds plus 1 in the chamber. I also have an extended magazine which gives me room for 1 more round. It's a 9mm, so there isn't much recoil. It's also pretty small and light. You could also get a taser, but then you'll have people telling you "Don't tase me sis" LOL!!!

Last edited by Miami Vice; 04-06-2008 at 10:07 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 07:25 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
In the latest issue of American Rifleman, there is an article about the new Federal .327 Magnum cartridge. It looks like it might take hold as an excellent self defense round because it offers significantly lower recoil but comparable force of the .357 Magnum. It will be interesting to see if it catches on. If it does, it promises to be easier to shoot. The article covers it pretty well.
I read that article. That cartridge has very impressive ballistics.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:52 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post

I read it too. Its a great idea, kinda like a modern 32/20.

In a modern gun you can turn that old cartridge into a peppy little number.

I hope it takes off.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
from personal experience, think hard before getting a large gun. they're intimidating and powerful, but you can't wear one with everything, and they certainly aren't fun to carry around.

in the marine corps, all of the boots go into combat like rambo, armed to the teeth, wearing 18 different mag pouches, a dozen knives, and as many grenades as they can carry. towards the end of the deployment, they are arguing with their superiors that they should be able to leave the wire with only two mags (one shot one kill, right?), and no grenades.

i'll admit that i fell into that category. for civilian life, there is no need to lug around a hand cannon when a little revolver will do 99.5% of the things that you would want the larger one for.

i myself carry a benchmade cbk punching dagger--the same one that got me through iraq (i actually have two of them, but one is still packed away). a knife is good for some situations, but does not replace a firearm in a ranged encounter, and in some situations, up close.

bear spray (or any other kind of spray) is hit and miss. some of them are good. some of them are not. they can actually be more dangerous if your kids get them, because there aren't the safety precautions on a can of spray that there are on a properly stowed gun. even military issue spray can cause 1st degree burns, and bear spray can cause far worse. they have a shelf life, though i am not educated enough to know what that might be. spray hurts, but it is not hard to fight through it. my experience comes from military grade oc spay, which is far worse than your standard pepper spray.

don't know much of anything about tasers except that they are fun to play with. other than that, i'd still rather have my knife or revolver.

aaron out.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
[quote=Cecilia_Rose;3359920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I've been putting it off for some time now, but after this latest whack job that killed that hiker in Georgia, I think it's time for me to get my gun.

Thanks[/QUOTE

As far as the size of the gun; really the caliber doesn't matter as much as the actual size of the frame and grip, you want something that fits your hand, something that feels natural, if it doesn't it wont feel good to shoot it and control will be off, try them out and find one that feels good, you want a good grip on the gun. an example of this is I bought a SW 9mm, it was a large framed gun and didn't fit me well, I couldn't get a comfortable grip on it and so when I sot it it didn't feel good and I couldn't hit even close to where I aimed, I bought a Rugar in the sma caliber but a smaller gun and grip, it fit perfect and shooting felt great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting