Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 AM

142 posts, read 165,334 times

Advertisements

I have a chance to trade a CW9 for a SR9c. I love the SR9 that I owned but sold it because Ruger could not seem to fix the walking pin issue. They just replaced it. The guy that has the SR9c showed me that the pin walks out, no it drops out if you just tip the gun on its right side. Ruger will take it back but its a bit of concern to me. This is frustrating because it should not be an issue. The gun is accurate and feels good in my hand and the trigger is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,867,746 times
Me.....no way. Wouldn't even consider it.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 AM

203 posts, read 518,263 times
Do you have more information about the walking pin? I have an SR9 and have not heard of this issue before. I know that the earlier models had to be recalled for a reason, but mine is the later model.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM

271 posts, read 239,822 times
That should be an easy fix from what I've heard at the range. Make sure you have the pin installed correctly. Many are not. The end with the grove goes to the left side of the frame while the smooth part of the pins go towards the right side from what I remember. There is a little retaining spring inside there. Make sure it is fully engaged into the grove and holds tightly. If not, take it out and bend it slightly to give it more tension. Should fix the problem without the hassle of sending it back the guys say.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM

45 posts, read 100,892 times
Why would you even put up with problem guns like that? Consider a major brand that has some acceptance in hard use venues....like law enforcement. Neither CW9 or SR9c have made any inroads in the LE market.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 PM

271 posts, read 239,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
Why would you even put up with problem guns like that? Consider a major brand that has some acceptance in hard use venues....like law enforcement. Neither CW9 or SR9c have made any inroads in the LE market.
Kahr is/was standard back up issue for NYPD. Not that model though. It was the K9. It has since been removed from the approved list. Tons should be popping up on the used market if they move 'em. This was 2011 if I recall. The Ruger seems to work well when compared to it's Kel-Tec counterpart. IMO the Ruger is built a bit better. Many people who own them love them except for the walking pin issue. It's usually related to that retainer not being fully locked into the grove via incorrectly installed pins or not enough tension. Ruger won't want to hear this, but I wouldn't send it back for a fix like that. Too much 2012 hassle for what it is. To the Op...tell your seller it's junk and fix it the way I told you after you get a "gooda deal" on it.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 AM

142 posts, read 165,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock N Load View Post
Kahr is/was standard back up issue for NYPD. Not that model though. It was the K9. It has since been removed from the approved list. Tons should be popping up on the used market if they move 'em. This was 2011 if I recall. The Ruger seems to work well when compared to it's Kel-Tec counterpart. IMO the Ruger is built a bit better. Many people who own them love them except for the walking pin issue. It's usually related to that retainer not being fully locked into the grove via incorrectly installed pins or not enough tension. Ruger won't want to hear this, but I wouldn't send it back for a fix like that. Too much 2012 hassle for what it is. To the Op...tell your seller it's junk and fix it the way I told you after you get a "gooda deal" on it.
Kahr had a reputation of being a top end gun. They have gotten a bit of a black eye with some of the customer service issues and the guns having a few problems. [every gun manufacture has problems] I had the owner of the SR9 send it back to Ruger and get it fixed, then we can go to the range and see how it is. He has a holster for it ITW as do I. I think his is more expensive then my holster but I may ask for him to do a straight up exchange for holster gun and mags. Rugers are about 50 bucks more out the door than a CW and I had to buy an extra mag for my gun as it only comes with one so that evens it out, that I may have to deal with sending the gun in several times to get it right makes me think to trade for the holster gun and mags even for holster gun and mags.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 AM

203 posts, read 518,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
Kahr had a reputation of being a top end gun. They have gotten a bit of a black eye with some of the customer service issues and the guns having a few problems. [every gun manufacture has problems] I had the owner of the SR9 send it back to Ruger and get it fixed, then we can go to the range and see how it is. He has a holster for it ITW as do I. I think his is more expensive then my holster but I may ask for him to do a straight up exchange for holster gun and mags. Rugers are about 50 bucks more out the door than a CW and I had to buy an extra mag for my gun as it only comes with one so that evens it out, that I may have to deal with sending the gun in several times to get it right makes me think to trade for the holster gun and mags even for holster gun and mags.
My SR9 came with 2 magazines.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM

43 posts, read 48,630 times
So did my SR9c, I have shot the Kahr CW9, it just feels cheap to me. The thin rails in the front and the trigger is so long. The grip has to have a sleeve on it or the grip friction ridges will bite into your hand. Kahr took their warranty down to 5 years now from life time. That tells me something about how confident a manufacture is about their product. Ruger seems to stand behind their product as good as anyone can expect. I would trade for the SR9.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:57 AM

445 posts, read 1,607,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPG View Post
So did my SR9c, I have shot the Kahr CW9, it just feels cheap to me. The thin rails in the front and the trigger is so long. The grip has to have a sleeve on it or the grip friction ridges will bite into your hand. Kahr took their warranty down to 5 years now from life time. That tells me something about how confident a manufacture is about their product. Ruger seems to stand behind their product as good as anyone can expect. I would trade for the SR9.
Good to know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting