Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 07:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
That must be specifically related to Cali (politics) since I’ve never heard of that being the case anywhere else, that’s crazy ❗️

Suicides at ranges? It does happen, happened here in Texas at my range.

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 12-08-2019 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: too graphic or suggestive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 07:50 AM

23 posts, read 11,287 times
I live near Dragonman's in Colorado Springs. Their only requirement to rent is being of proper age (18 for rifles, 21 for handguns) with "proper ID". I would think a passport would suffice for proper ID.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:48 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Wow is that so.... Sorry to hear that. The world is so beautiful, I would never leave voluntarily.

I've never heard of such a venue to commit suicide.
Well, now you have. The range near me put up the "no solo shooting" rule years ago, because they had 2 or 3 suicides in a rather short time period (I would say all within the span of a couple years, if not less).

Sucks for people who don't have someone to go shooting with, though.

(And, the world is NOT so beautiful for many people. I'm glad it is for you, but that is not the experience of everyone, for many reasons.)

Old 12-07-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, now you have. The range near me put up the "no solo shooting" rule years ago, because they had 2 or 3 suicides in a rather short time period (I would say all within the span of a couple years, if not less).

Sucks for people who don't have someone to go shooting with, though.

(And, the world is NOT so beautiful for many people. I'm glad it is for you, but that is not the experience of everyone, for many reasons.)

Be the absolute bummer for me......and rather, for them, too! They do pretty well by my range membership and they probably do pretty well by others watching me shoot, between the professionalism, the accuracy, and the exotics I bring in.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Be the absolute bummer for me......and rather, for them, too! They do pretty well by my range membership and they probably do pretty well by others watching me shoot, between the professionalism, the accuracy, and the exotics I bring in.
OK, I’ve got to ask, what kind of exotics? I always like seeing/hearing about unusual firearms.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:20 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Most firing ranges have guns for rent, but I doubt that they will just hand a gun over to someone who has never fired a gun and just turn them lose.

OP, call your local range and ask, but I highly suggest, and the range might require it, that your friend take a class on how to handle firearms safely before they turn him loose with a gun.

A person with no gun experience and no safety training could be dangerous on a firing range.

Your friend would enjoy the class.

I've used an indoor firing range, but I can't remember what they required of me and I had my own gun, as did everyone else in my party. I'm pretty sure that someone watched us for the first few minutes to make sure we were behaving properly.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
OK, I’ve got to ask, what kind of exotics? I always like seeing/hearing about unusual firearms.

Uzis, Zastava M70A, M-11/9, Browning Hi Power.........and then the odd thing that when people see me with a .45 or a .308, they ask me if I am shooting a 50 caliber.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:58 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Most firing ranges have guns for rent, but I doubt that they will just hand a gun over to someone who has never fired a gun and just turn them lose.

OP, call your local range and ask, but I highly suggest, and the range might require it, that your friend take a class on how to handle firearms safely before they turn him loose with a gun.

A person with no gun experience and no safety training could be dangerous on a firing range.

Your friend would enjoy the class.

I've used an indoor firing range, but I can't remember what they required of me and I had my own gun, as did everyone else in my party. I'm pretty sure that someone watched us for the first few minutes to make sure we were behaving properly.
We did tracking on all the waivers signed by anyone visiting our range for the first time. Just about 30% of visitors to our range were first time shooters. I think that’s a fascinating figure but that’s another story. Any person who was flagged on the waiver as a first time shooter received a short intro course at the counter. The RSO(s) on the firing line were also alerted to any new shooter that was coming out so he/she could receive a bit more personal attention on the line.

Funny story, I was on the line when a party of 6 ladies came in, 4 of them new shooters. Three were matter of fact but one was a nervous nelly kind of basket case. She was making me nervous enough that I kept a close eye on her but she actually ended up doing OK. I heard her say something towards the end that made me think she was eager to be done with the whole experience. I followed them out since it was someone else’s turn to rotate in. As I was walking behind the counter she was practically bouncing up and down saying OMG, “we have to do this again.” LOL. That always made my day.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:15 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
LesLucid, That's nice to hear. of the dozens of new folks I have taken to a range , there has been only a handful, and I mean a very small number of people who have not had a good time and wanted to do it again.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:07 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I have a foreigner friend coming to America for visit. He is amused by the guns since it's not legal where he is.

He will be visiting SF, Alaska, and NYC.
Ranges near me that rent pistols will not allow tourists to rent or shoot in their range. Especially foreign nationals.
I've seen them try several times.

The risks are obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting