Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM

728 posts, read 1,782,342 times

Advertisements

I used to have a Springfield XD-40 Subcompact for CCW. Surprisingly my wife was very comfortable shooting that; preferred it over my friends Glock 9mm and 10mm full frame. Perfect size, weight and recoil for her (and me). Those little 180g's are pretty mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:23 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,718 times
I'll have one of these on Saturday.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
I'll have one of these on Saturday.
Looks like a tip up barrel Beretta 380

Old 11-12-2009, 06:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,718 times
Bobcat .22

I traded the Mossberg 12 gauge for it because I want my Wife
to be able to use a gun and the pistol gripped Cruiser was just too much.
I also didnt like leaving a chambered shotgun around. The tiny Bobcat
can be put in the bedside table.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 AM

148 posts, read 585,060 times
One thing I would to is check with local ranges and see what the have for rentals, so you know what you can try. The range I go to most often also has a program where anyone with a 3-month or longer membership gets free rentals, so it may be worth the cost to do that.

I would recommend the Kahr 9mm overt the Kel-Tec some have mentioned. It's more accurate, and doesn't dig in and hurt your hand when you shoot it. I do have a KEl-Tec for concealed carry, but it's not comfortable to do a lot of shooting with and I have heard of others having reliability issues.

For larger sized handguns, I am very partial to the Beretta 9mm [modeld 92 & 96 are the ones I've shot], and I also like the Springfield XD-40, because it felt more natural for me to shoot. When I worked at the prison, we switched from revolvers to the Smith & Wesson M&P .40, and a lot of the women really like those - I think it's a good handgun, but prefer the feel or the others. Also, I'm not much of a Glock person, but my mom is on the small side and absolutely loves her Glock 19.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 PM

607 posts, read 1,333,984 times
I agree with the previous posters who advised to try as many as you can. Try not to be swayed by looks...some guns are just not pretty! I have decided on a Glock 22c. It fits my hand well, has enough oomph to protect me, and I can handle the recoil. I'm excited and looking forward to getting some good training.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:37 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
I saw the new Taurus Slim for the first time yesterday and I think my wife would be interested in something like that. It is definitely slim and obviously made for smaller hands. I also like the little thumb groove. 7+1 isn't my idea of an ideal defense setup, but I guess sometimes beauty wins out over muscle.
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

edit- just read that there is a 9+1 extended mag available.

Last edited by rd2007; 11-15-2009 at 05:58 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 08:17 AM

607 posts, read 1,333,984 times
That Slim is a nice-looking gun! If my state had concealed carry I'd check that out. As it is I'm not thinking about concealability. Does your wife plan to carry?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:31 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
No, because her job is intrusive and retarded. They somehow have a rule that states no employees can legally carry a gun in the workplace or even have one in their car in the mall parking lot. I can see the workplace rule, although I do not agree with it, but I do not get how a company can tell you what you will have in the parking lot. It is a public parking lot (mall) and she could legally bring it there if she was not going to work (if she had her CHL). I would argue it if I were her, but she does not want to. I work on an Air Force base, so we can't bring weapons on at all. I don't agree with that one either and the Ft. Hood incident gave 13 reasons to definitely change the rule. I have been on bases in active war zones where almost everyone was armed and I did not worry one bit about them because I knew they were also well trained. I probably wouldn't feel the same about being in a wally world with 99% of the customers and employees armed, though.

BTW, I also told her I would still carry and deal with the company if she ever needed to use it. Much better to be ready than to be a sitting duck like I am.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 AM

105 posts, read 353,404 times
If you are interested in target shooting, I'd suggest getting a .22 semi-auto like - Ruger Mk 2 or Mk3, S&W 22A, S&W Model 41, Beretta Neos, or Browning Buck Mark. All of these firearms are excellent pistols for target shooting for fun and accuracy. They do not have much recoil and they have nice light triggers for accurate shooting. If you want to be a little less formal, you might look at a Ruger Single-Six revolver for plinking. I've got one and I like it a lot. A Handgun Review: The Ruger New Model Single-Six - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
But, my next purchase will be a .22 target pistol. You should note, that a .22 target pistol is not really a self-defense weapon. Their light target triggers may lead to liability issues, the .22 is not an optimum self-defense round, and many of these pistols have longish barrels that don't lend themselves to the "quick-draw."

If you are a beginning shooter, you might check out my website: http://www.thegundude.com . I have a ton of articles focused on beginners. Good luck and welcome to a great hobby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting