Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 42,322 times

Advertisements

I am trying to identify this shotgun so I can determine a value for it. It was my fiancee's Father's and he was a big hunter and a WWII vet. There are no markings anywhere that I can see to identify the maker. The only identification on the gun is: Original Anson – Deeley – System on underside; Nitro stamped into the side of each barrel; and Wittener Stahl stamped on the top of each barrel. Other than that, it has a very ornate metal carvings with the underside having a hunting dog with a duck in it’s mouth; left side has a whitetail buck and doe; and the right side has a bull and cow elk. I think it is a 16 gauge side by side and under those is a single 8mm barrel.

Also found "L. Fpauenstorfer, Mannheim" on top of the two barrels (in between them).

Thank you all for your previous inputs, hopefully the pictures and other ID will help someone out there be able to give me an identification and value. I would like to have a firm idea of what the value is before I try to sell it.

This question was originally posted on 2-22-2009. I’m new to this, so I don’t know if it is acceptable for me to post another message related to the same thing, but I was concerned that nobody may see the pictures I posted on my last thread. I am still desperate for info on identifying this Drilling Shotgun.

Still looking for Identification of my Drilling Shotgun, with pictures now-img_7983.jpg

Still looking for Identification of my Drilling Shotgun, with pictures now-img_7984.jpg

Still looking for Identification of my Drilling Shotgun, with pictures now-img_7985.jpg

Still looking for Identification of my Drilling Shotgun, with pictures now-img_7986.jpg

Still looking for Identification of my Drilling Shotgun, with pictures now-img_7987.jpg

Still looking for Identification of my Drilling Shotgun, with pictures now-img_7988.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,463 times
looks like my Ithaca 16 side by side.
Can you get a serial number from it? You might be able to take it to a gunsmith and get it ID'd and some idea of value.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,944 times
Not much help here but try this site

View topic - German shotgun

Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Your fiancee should keep it, why would you want to sell it? You will not get another like it if you let it go.

These pre-war German drillings were made by a lot of small shops, mostly of high quality and the one you show looks like a good one to me.

If you ever want to shoot it you need to have a gunsmith check the chamber length of the 16-ga barrels, some of these had chambers much shorter than the standard 2 3/4 inch currently sold. The 8mm barrel is probably a .318 diameter if it does not say 8mm J somewhere on it, this should be checked at the same time as the shotgun barrels. *most* current 8mm ammo has the .323 "J" diameter bullet, and would not be the best thing to use in this valuable old gun.

If you insist on selling it, you should get it appraised by someone who does drillings - unless there is someone on here who is a real drilling aficianado, you won't get a value you can hang your hat on from here.

I would offer the guess "several thousand" dollars though. Several could mean 2 or 3 or it could mean 7 or 8.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 15,118 times
I also have a drilling that I am looking to sell if I can find out what it is worth. I will let you know if I find anything if you can send me your e-mail address and I would appreciate it if you could do the same!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 14,423 times
I have a Drilling almost identical to yours. It too is 16 gauge (2&1/2" chambers) and 8mm Mauser (.318 bore not .323"). Manufactured by Stahl & Berger Hamburg model "Burgermeister" Yours too is probably stamped 7.7mm X 57. Can you send close up photos of the inscriptions to me at jcs375@gmail.com If you wish to sell it I would be interested in purchasing it from you.

regards

John

Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
i think its a stiegele (munchen) cant really tell from the pic does it have NITRO stamped on the barrels?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
Just a historical note. The vast majority of Drillings were brought back by G.I.s after WWII. The best were made by hand in small shops and are works of art. They turn up fairly often at gun shows. There is not a strong demand for them by collectors (kind of a speciality). I've never seen one for less than $1200 at a show.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Try here:
Shotgunworld.com • View forum - Shotgun ID & Value

Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Go to a big gun shpw and look for the booths that specialize in high grade shotguns they will like be able to tell you.There were alot of german guns brought back after WWII and into the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting