Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You may want to check out Federal's HST line. It performs much better than the old hydroshock and has addressed the issues with cavity plugging/collapse. I purchased a few boxes about 3 weeks ago. You should still be able to order it from any of the online distributors.

It isn't cheap, this will not be your everyday plinking round.
Thanks, I'll have a look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
I haven't been there in a few weeks, but the last several times I went, I kept seeing .40 cal personal defense ammo at Riley's. Can't remember which brand though. They always seem to have some .41 magnum too. I was looking for Hydra-Shok in .357 and had to settle for the Federal Premium Low Recoil stuff.

Two weeks ago, we found some Hornady Critical Defense .380 at Dick's in Concord. They have a 2 box limit now.

You might check buffalobore.com too. Their ammo is supposed to be good stuff.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:10 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Speer Gold Dot - if it's good enough for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Dept., it's good enough for me!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:35 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Thanks for all the info guys, found some in stock finally, went with Federal HST for the .40 and Speer Gold Dot for the .380

Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Like NV said placement counts for everything. I have taken down deer with a .22 with a shot in the eye, they drop like a brick. You have to really know your gun to even risk a shot like that as we all hate to chase a deer down.

This is so disgusting and irresponsible that it's beyond description. For everry animal who dies immediately, how many suffer permanent disability or a lingering death?

The right to own guns is absolute. The necessity of punishing criminal behavior is also absolute.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is so disgusting and irresponsible that it's beyond description. For everry animal who dies immediately, how many suffer permanent disability or a lingering death?

The right to own guns is absolute. The necessity of punishing criminal behavior is also absolute.
Wow. All that from a comment about shot placement? Whatever, I have found the Hornady XTP to be about the best performing controlled expansion round out there. I have used 185 gr up to 300 grain in this bullet in the 45 ACP and Colt and it is a great design. Expansion is great and weight retention as well. Hornady offers it in factory ammo as do many of the better known makers (WW Remington etc). For a handloader it's a dream. Driven at around the 900 to 1200 FPS line it is a solid performer. The 250 slung out of the .45 LC at 1200 FPS will drop a large feral pig like a hot rock and the latter is a TOUGH animal. I would recommend a carbine length gun for this application (my personal choice is the 94 Marlin) because the slower burning powders required to get this type of performance like a longer tube to get good powder burn. Revolvers with short barrels don't get the time for complete combustion and muzzle blast is formidable as well. Most factory HP ammo , designed for pistol/ revolver use utilize fast to medium burn rate powders to negate this while still acheiving the velocity required to get reliable expansion. There are a lot of factors to consider when looking at HP ammo. If one lives in a warmer climate, and the goal is personal defense, HP is a good choice as a Goblin will not be wearing heavy clothing that will plug up the bullet nose on impact and thus turning the bullet into no more than ball. Where heavy clothing is the norm, one may as well use a FP or even ball round as hollow points won't expand right anyway. If I were to have to defend myself against a thug wearing a heavy leather jacket, the 200 to 225 flat point would be better or just as good as a HP. Something to think about.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
S&W Model 627 .357 Magnum w/ 5'' barrel Stainless Steel Frame Wood Grip loaded with 8 rounds of Hornady 158gr. XTP Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo I use this round for both home defense and hog hunts as its knockdown power is outstanding

Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

I never miss! The death is immediate with a eye shot.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
I've got one 6rd magazine and one 7rd magazine with my 45. Both are filled with Buffalo Big Bore .45ACP+P JHP.

Stupid, but I have a spare magazine after that filled with 230gr FMJ.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I've got one 6rd magazine and one 7rd magazine with my 45. Both are filled with Buffalo Big Bore .45ACP+P JHP.

Stupid, but I have a spare magazine after that filled with 230gr FMJ.
Well, .45 FMJ ball rode around in a lot of belt holsters during WWII, Korea and Vietnam. That's still a big dollop of lead that's going to hit pretty hard. Yes, I would rather have +p rounds that expand to 300% their original diameter at pistol velocities if I needed to use my pistol on a two-legged varmint, but I sure as hell wouldn't snub ball ammunition either if that's what I had...

In a similar line of reasoning to the adage about "the best gun in a fight is the one in your hand", the best bullets when you need 'em are the ones in your gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting