Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
You made the claim that racism was non-existant in Canada and Europe. I refuted that. I did not say specifically that it was black Americans or Africans, I did not differentiate at all. I simply said that racism and nationalism are on the rise in Europe, which they are. Not sure what your point is here, but mine stands that your belief that Europe is not as racist as any other part of the world is patently false.

No, discrimination against another human will always exist racism is just one faction of it(sexism, is another). I think that you may have misunderstand what I was saying about Canada and Europe. Racism as I experience in this country is different as opposed to an African in Europe or Canada would experience, granted it is still considered racism but an American black is treated better in Europe and Canada than an African or Islander. Here Africans are treated better than American Blacks it is what it is I just accept it.

The point that I was trying to make with the last piece of info was that after slavery was abolished, black Americans simply wanted to be Americans and they thought that using African to describe themselves would cause them problems with regards to equality. Now, I do understand your point, but have you ever stopped to think about the fact that everyone chooses to define themselves these days based on ethnicity? African American, Hispanic American, Asian American, Persian American, etc. Why not just plain old American? The fact of the matter is that our country as it stands today affords every opportunity to people of color that it does to white people, and in some cases more so. To deny that is intellectually dishonest. Is there still discrimination and prejudice on an individual basis? Absolutely, and unfortunately I don't know that everyone will ever get past that. And your assertion that black Americans will be murdered for being in the wrong neighborhood while white Americans will not is also intellectually dishonest, patently false, and inherently biased.

Actually, American Blacks are looked down upon by Africans and Islanders they will tell you quickly that they are not black americans! What about the other "names changes" that blacks have called through history here? As far as a white person going through a black neighborhood (depending on the city) can go and visit pretty much unaccosted (at least here in Pgh) but a black driving through a white neighborhood can and in many cases will be hassled by the police and possibly killed(see John Gammage). Granted I should not have made a broad statement but I'm going on my own experiences in various cities that I have been in

You distinctly made the point that the Europeans were only involved in the trading of slaves, not in the slavery itself, so don't try and backpeddle on that one. You made the claim, I refuted it.

I'm not, slavery has existed throughout time however; American Slavery is the only form that been so barbaric that generations are STILL suffering from it's after effects

That said, I don't disagree with the proven studies that blacks serve stiffer sentences than whites for the same crimes. As far as I remember, this was proven with statistical evidence and as such I could never, nor would I try too, argue the findings. However, don't you think it speaks volumes that a larger percentage of black Americans are in prison per population numbers? Can you deny that stat? As far as that other "crap" that I was spouting, do you believe that entitlement lifts people up and encourages them to succeed? I don't. I think it makes them dependent upon the system.

The uneven incarceration numbers and even the number of execution reflects racism in the judical system, from inept defense lawyers, tainted jurors, hidden evidence and even closeted racist judges. Unnecessary entitlements I do agreed with you does not help anyone but only keeps them on a treadmill going nowhere. But there are some things that should be set in place to combat racism. There are many whitemales screaming that affirmative action is a failure and should be dismantled. This is something that I totally disagree with. I have heard the arguement on both sides and seen the best and worst of it, but I have never heard of it being based on statistical need. In otherwords there are some places were it is needed and there are some it is not. Unfortunately the biggest benefactors of affirmative action has been white females which is ok with me but blacks and latinos males are the ones taking the biggest flack about it.

I'm glad you got educated and I truly thank you for your service to this country. You are a perfect example of the point that I was trying to make. Was it harder for you? I'm sure it was, but that doesn't mean that you quit trying or continue to point fingers at others. The most inspiring success stories are those of the people that had the cards stacked against them and succeeded anyway. If one needs to work a little harder then so be it, and at the end of the day that is how you truly effect change.

That is nice and it sounds good, but why should I have to go through all of that crap in the first place anyway? Why should I have to work 2-3 times as harder than a white person to get ahead? Why can't I work just as hard and still succeed? For every black as myself who got ahead(?) there are 5 more who were smarter and failed. Have you heard of any black go as far as the last president and know as little?

So I'm a closet racist now? Can you point out where I made such a blanket generalization? Instead of attacking me, why not address the points that I made. Do black kids that get good grades get picked on by their peers for being "too white"? If so, is that a product of my "narrow view" (of which you have limited knowledge so don't start assuming you know anything about me)? It's easier to just play the race card though, isn't it? Why else would you accuse an armed black man in Arizona of being a racist (isn't that the reason anyone disagrees with the current president)? As an aside, you realize that gun laws and gun control were put in place to keep black Americans disarmed, right?

Actually, you may or may not be racist that truely is not my concern but being that you don't know if you are or not I rather assume that you are not. As far as the "little black kid" who studies hard and is picked on by thier peers I can relate to that but It is not as common as you might think. Kids will pick on you b/c you are different not b/c you are smart or study hard. I grew up in the middle of one of the worst neighborhoods in the city and have peers who also studied hard and did well and were never picked on for "sounding or acting white". There are to many after school specials on this topic, but what they never mention is that there are always some other factors that make that child a target to be picked on. As far as the man in Arizona I did not call him racist I may have called him stupid for being manupilated into doing it in the first place knowing this country's history on race relations. As we speak there are various stories as to why he did it in the first place, whether he was paid to do it or that he came to support the president in either way I still think that it was stupid. Incidentally you are right I don't know you and being that you are willing to have an open discussion regarding this issue proves to me you have a least the intelligence to discuss it honestly. I just chalk it up to someone who has never walked in the shoes of a black or latino person...it is not your fault but if you are willing to learn I commend that.

Right, so your not blaming anyone else but it's the bs educational system's fault. Get real chief. You are the exact type of mentality that I was railing against. You had a chance to make some seriously valid points, and instead you chose to make assumptions about me and my beliefs and basically call me a racist (the entire tone of your post, beginning with the first paragraph pretty much has thinly veiled accusations in it). I'll let you in on a little secret, individualism is not racism, as much as you want it to be.

Education = knowledge = power without it you are just some fool on the street screaming about nothing. every year the Parade Magazine has an article on the best high schools in the country and there has NEVER been a predominately black or latino school on top of that list but if there were one for the worst schools there they would be. Riddle me this batman why are'nt urban schools funded like their suburban counterparts? Books are books and teachers are teachers right? As far as "individualism is not racism" Individuals can and are racist, especially if they hold a seat in the power structure and can impose their racist views on others.

If you care to respond with anything other than what you previously tried to pass off as debate, I am more than game. I will not try to have a discussion with someone that ignores valid points to insult me though.
I'm not here to insult you I'm just trying to point out that there are things as a non-black or latino that you could never understand, pretty much like a woman trying to explain the experiences of child birth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times
That rifle is NOT fully automatic. Semi-auto is NOT "spray and pray"

Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Let's just say that as a resident of Arizona where anybody and his brother can get a concealed weapons permit I don't honk at anyone.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:31 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Let's just say that as a resident of Arizona where anybody and his brother can get a concealed weapons permit I don't honk at anyone.

Why not? You dont need a permit at all in Arizona to carry a gun. Permit holders are probably your safest bet. That said I'v been there a couple times & have several friends that moved there years ago and they honk at folks if they feel like it.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I'm not here to insult you I'm just trying to point out that there are things as a non-black or latino that you could never understand, pretty much like a woman trying to explain the experiences of child birth
Thats a pretty bold racist statement. Kinda like me saying that if your a non white you have no idea what its like to work hard & pay taxes so blacks & latino's can collect welfare & get free medical. Course I wouldn't ever say such a thing.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
2nd amendment stops when you show up at a political rally or in the presence of the president of the united states fully armed. dont take your guns to town son.
signed
an NRA supporter

Old 12-26-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
2nd amendment stops when you show up at a political rally or in the presence of the president of the united states fully armed.
Why is that? Kind of ironic that our rights should dissapear simply because an elected official charged with preserving them is around.

Quote:
dont take your guns to town son.
signed
an NRA supporter
Why not? Cash was speaking of not bringing them to town in anger, not as a general statement.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:47 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
A couple of things - If this guy who was at the protest with the semi-automatic rifle had any sinister intentions, he wouldn't have been standing there with the rifle in full view of everybody who was around him.

On the other hand, if he wanted to convey a message to Obama, he could have done it using other means.

Also, the weapon he had with him was not "An Assault Rifle". The definition of an assault weapon is something that can fire an entire magazine (30 rounds or so) in a brief period of time, without having to repeatedly pull the trigger. The weapon he had with him was a semi-automatic rifle.

Full-auto weapons cannot be owned by any average citizen without a permit and a license. That's been the case since 1988, and believe it or not, one of the politicians who spoke vehemently against the bill that placed those restrictions was Al Gore.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:12 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,431 times
Mike, you're statement is a bit wrong. A citizen has had to have a permit to own a Class III firearm since 1934. That was in response to the gangster epidemic sweeping the nation at the time. In 1986, Regan signed into law that a citizen could not purchase a full-auto firearm unless it was manufactured or imported into the US prior to that date (I believe in May 1986). Any full-auto produced after 1986 is not available to the general public. Which is why the price of these weapons is out-of-sight. Currently, a Thompson sub-machine gun goes for approximately 12-15k. Prior to 1986 these were available for around 2k.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Mike, you're statement is a bit wrong. A citizen has had to have a permit to own a Class III firearm since 1934. That was in response to the gangster epidemic sweeping the nation at the time. In 1986, Regan signed into law that a citizen could not purchase a full-auto firearm unless it was manufactured or imported into the US prior to that date (I believe in May 1986). Any full-auto produced after 1986 is not available to the general public. Which is why the price of these weapons is out-of-sight. Currently, a Thompson sub-machine gun goes for approximately 12-15k. Prior to 1986 these were available for around 2k.
I stand corrected, thanks John.

The bottom line is no matter how many laws are on the books, whether they affect firearms, or anything else, the majority of criminals will break those laws and nothing will stop them. One such example is Larry Philips and Emil Matasareanu, those were the two who tried to rob the Bank Of America in North Hollywood, California in 1997. Both of whom had full-auto weapons that were illegally modified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting