Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,929,647 times

Advertisements

I am a gunsmith, but have absolutely no experience in disassembling springer air rifles. There's got to be some experimental types who have opted to do this at home rather than send it out for an expensive rebuild.

I have grown to loath "iconists", who love to spout off that they have a "so-and-so" trigger, a "such and such" barrel, a tune-up by Fred Kawstalaht, and their gun has been treated with "Inafordabilium V" .

Likewise there a few types on the net who claim to correct all the horrible problems with my stock Weirauch HW50, micro-honing this, polishing that, replacing the apparently useless factory springs with new Chardonnay-tempered Unobtanium units, and replacing the piston seal with one fashioned from genuine Polar bear gut.

This airgun has dropped literally hundreds of grouse, starlings and quail, but now, after (let's see here...) 44 years since I bought it, it would appear that the original leather or rubber/plastic seal has gone the way of the Great Auk!

I'd just like to replace the mainspring, and piston and breech seals (I understand the new ones are made of Teflon or some such...), without trying to gain 500 fps (it already shoots a respectable 900 fps with Beeman's heavier .177 hunting pellets), and the grouse fell over, quite dead!

I'd assume it takes a long spring compressor, and a special tool to remove that endplate (it has two small holes in it). Then, slowly release the tension and voila; there she'd be, all apart! Replace, reassemble with the right lubes and it's got a new lease on life.

Fine gun; accurate and powerful. Maybe I'll dowse it with some good Bourbon while I have it apart though, just to make it all mythical.

Ideas? Web links?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,276,225 times
900fps is pretty darned good for a 44 yr old air rifle.

I don't have a clue how to take it appart though, sorry....

Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM

6,740 posts, read 4,431,176 times
There are airgun forums you can try. Try to be a little more open minded about all the mods you mentioned. I know some maybe people bsing, but airguns have come a long way in 44 years. BTW I own a Beeman that i purchased 15 years ago and it still works great.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
Not certain how to get it apart, I'm telling you what you already know when I say that main spring is no joke, you want to maintain control of it while you de-tension it, you want to be ready for it to jump out of the gun and make sure it does not hit you when/if it does.

If you still get 900 FPS, IMHO the main spring is OK, you probably just need to replace the leather washer. It's possible some sort of lube might improve things enough to be satisfactory.

If the OEM is still in business, maybe an exploded diagram is available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting