Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times

Advertisements

arctichomesteader: Very thought-provoking links. Thank you. Much of what they say is painfully obvious, but still worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:48 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,269,794 times
The points in the link are valid but it doesn't necessarily provide the moral greenlight to walk out your back yard blowing holes in whatever moves for the hell of it.

Note: I do hunt and fish but I do it in a sporting manner. I find this sort of activity as sporting as shooting the neighbor's cat.

...whatever. Have fun with your 'hobby'.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
The points in the link are valid but it doesn't necessarily provide the moral greenlight to walk out your back yard blowing holes in whatever moves for the hell of it.

Note: I do hunt and fish but I do it in a sporting manner. I find this sort of activity as sporting as shooting the neighbor's cat.

...whatever. Have fun with your 'hobby'.
In the first place, varmint hunting, of any kind, is far more involved than just walking out in the back yard and cuttin' loose. That would be a situation involving the critter being in the hen house. Taking to the field with a call, a ghillie suit , a good rifle, bow, or whatever tickles you, and a desire to be cold, wet and uncomfortable, laying motionless for hours, is varmint hunting. And, some of us have to use a horse for an evening stroll in our backyard. There is no 'moral green light" either needed or implied, to cull pests off our spreads, and as to being 'sporting' well ....tally ho ol' chap ol' bean

Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
I wish one of you would come get this thing out of the bird house...
Attached Thumbnails
Raccoon Busting-unnamed.jpg  

Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,216 times
That 'possum would actually be kind of cute, if I didn't already know what a vicious beast he can be. The hole on the birdhouse is too big. All sorts of bird killing critters will fit in there.

I shot 3 coons that were staggering across my yard one summer and had to watch a 4th get away because I couldn't shoot him near the street. I've never tried a bow on them (and probably wouldn't), I used a .22. For coyotes, we got a .243, but that was mainly because we always saw them from 2-300 yards across the field and it was usually windy there.

I never liked to shoot stuff I wasn't going to eat, but after a pack of coyotes approached within about 20 yards of our campfire two weekends in a row, we decided they needed to learn a little fear of humans. The male was challenge barking, trying to get our dog to come out. Her first instict was to RUN. My husband and I both tackled her because we knew they'd tear her to bits if she ran. I've found fawn legs and deer with their hind ends and ribs chewed out on our property way too many times. If I see a coyote and get a shot, it's going to die.

The last coon I shot was staggering toward my husband, who was washing his truck (tunes blaring) with his back to the coon. He was oblivious until he heard the shot from the kitchen window. I suppose the morally superior thing would've been to let the coon attack him and just get him some rabies shots after.

It just baffles me what a LaLa Land some people live in. They can call their Bambi syndrome "education", I call it "memorizing an agenda" and lack of actual experience with wildlife. It's easy to pretend you're above killing anything when you're never faced with the need - when you can buy your food at the store and don't have to worry about overpopulation causing your kids to be attacked by rabid animals in your own yard. I think the only thing that will cure these people is if something ever happens to widely disrupt our Just In Time delivery system for a while and the nanny government is unable to get them any food. When they have to hear their kids cry from hunger, I think they'll be eating feral cats and whatever else they can get their hands on. Read up on the famine in Russia some time. People only worry about their superior morals until they get real hungry.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well fer a second I thought I hadda nuther wife I am pretty rural too. I live in the weeds in New Hampster.
Ya taught ya hadda nuther wife huh? I taught I taw a putty cat!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I wish one of you would come get this thing out of the bird house...
Just take the bird house down with a long pole and place it next to an open can of catfood dog food. The possom will come out before long and you can reclaim the birdhouse. Before rehanging it use some sheet metal to close up the hole to the smaller size required for the species of bird you are wanting to attract.

Being a birdhouse landlord required property upkeep and the eviction of unwelcome tentants.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
That 'possum would actually be kind of cute, if I didn't already know what a vicious beast he can be. The hole on the birdhouse is too big. All sorts of bird killing critters will fit in there.

I shot 3 coons that were staggering across my yard one summer and had to watch a 4th get away because I couldn't shoot him near the street. I've never tried a bow on them (and probably wouldn't), I used a .22. For coyotes, we got a .243, but that was mainly because we always saw them from 2-300 yards across the field and it was usually windy there.

I never liked to shoot stuff I wasn't going to eat, but after a pack of coyotes approached within about 20 yards of our campfire two weekends in a row, we decided they needed to learn a little fear of humans. The male was challenge barking, trying to get our dog to come out. Her first instict was to RUN. My husband and I both tackled her because we knew they'd tear her to bits if she ran. I've found fawn legs and deer with their hind ends and ribs chewed out on our property way too many times. If I see a coyote and get a shot, it's going to die.

The last coon I shot was staggering toward my husband, who was washing his truck (tunes blaring) with his back to the coon. He was oblivious until he heard the shot from the kitchen window. I suppose the morally superior thing would've been to let the coon attack him and just get him some rabies shots after.

It just baffles me what a LaLa Land some people live in. They can call their Bambi syndrome "education", I call it "memorizing an agenda" and lack of actual experience with wildlife. It's easy to pretend you're above killing anything when you're never faced with the need - when you can buy your food at the store and don't have to worry about overpopulation causing your kids to be attacked by rabid animals in your own yard. I think the only thing that will cure these people is if something ever happens to widely disrupt our Just In Time delivery system for a while and the nanny government is unable to get them any food. When they have to hear their kids cry from hunger, I think they'll be eating feral cats and whatever else they can get their hands on. Read up on the famine in Russia some time. People only worry about their superior morals until they get real hungry.

If I wasn't already MARRIED, I would be in love with you!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
Ya taught ya hadda nuther wife huh? I taught I taw a putty cat!
Uh Oh! been a while since I was in this thread. Figured it was dead, and or the city haters were cuttin up in here, being superior. Now I got 2 gals not my own wife, who see things as I do. That sure seems strange.

I been at killing little varmints, called cucumber bettles, and japanese bettles, pinching their dammned guts out. No chemical garden, just because I don't want posions in my food.

Thar's a red (squirrel) gonna get a .22 bullet soon too. I caught the little red devil eatting my strawberries. Now I wouldn't mind if he ate the whole berry, but No, it runs around and bites a berry here another there, and ruins a mess of berries. It will get sent to heaven a tad early. Everything dies, it just a matter of time we all object too.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
I don't like dispatching raccoons this time of year because of the young'uns. I trap them in or at the entrances of my barn/outbuilding in a havaheart trap (baited with catfood) and relocate them. Other critters of the more destructive nature are not so lucky regardless of the likelihood of young'uns. I've dispatched two groundhogs (also in barn) and one feral cat (stalking my young cottontails) in the past couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting