Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:53 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,253,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
After a rabid coon latched onto the snout of our beloved black lab one night while he was guarding the chicken yard, and my Dad had to kill the coon to get him off our dog, we had to hear from the vet that our dog's wounds were fatal -- a mercy.

Raccoons in rural areas around livestock are PREDATORS AND PESTS.

Dad trapped and dispatched every one he could get until we got the local population of these vermin under control. And he posted a sign over the chicken yard:

R.I.P. BLITZ: Good Dog

THE ONLY GOOD RACCOON IS A DEAD RACCOON

I still feel that way 40 years later.
But they are so cute and fluffy! They will gut a dog (tear their insides from the inside out) with their claws and jump on them in water and try to drown them. One of the funniest things I ever saw was a 145 pound male Rottweiler who was one tough SOB kick the living s*** out of one that picked a fight with him. Guess what? No more raccoon and his wounds were minor compared to the raccoon. By the time my buddy and I saw what was going on it was too late. No need to shoot the b*****d. Nature took care of itself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I can empathize with your feelings toward raccoons, but many other animals can be rabid and dangerous too. It isn't like the raccoon decided, "Hey, I'll contract hydrophobia and go attack something".

Old 05-27-2010, 03:38 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,253,828 times
Pet owners remember that a 10-15 pound overweight "fatman" Rottweiler could barely take care of a wild raccoon. What do you think one would do to your smaller guy or gal? These varmints must be controlled and managed properly. Ever since the price of pelts has plummeted to virtually nothing the population has gone crazy. I see at least 2 or 3 killed on the highway everyday in my daily travels. We still have a raccoon season around here and it is surely needed to thin them down. My neighbors cat fell victim to one a few years ago. I was up late watching TV and I heard this awefull scream. The kind of scream that a woman would make if she was being raped, tortured and killed! It was taking place in my bushes and it was the cat. I ran outside to see WTH was going on and it was too late. That cat looked like Freddy Krueger worked him over. He was dead and there wasn't anything I could do to save him. It slays me how these city slickers think they are these warm, lovable creatures. They are the same people from the city who stop and try to feed a wild bear! Do not try to pick one up, they will bite and who knows what else? They have obviously never seen one who was bent on reeking havoc and mayhem. Proper management is important and should proceed as your local laws will allow!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I use a 788 Remington .243, my son favors his new 700 VTR 22-250 for yotes. We are currently using a Jonny Stewart preymaster call with 200 yard remote. We are going to get a Foxpro. The most effective call is the 'house cat distress' followed closely by the rabbit distress. For 'educated' dogs the challenge howl works well, but you HAVE to hide well and be VERY patient for this. I don't have a bit of issue using my 06 on yotes, usualy with 150 grain pills, but I like the .243 for recoil and flatter shooting, bullets I use range from 80 -100 grains with the 100 taking the #1 slot because of versatility and shock power. I don't want them getting back up, and have seen them do so after taking a clean behind the shoulder hit with lighter slugs. My son uses the 62 grain V Shock in his 22-250, and despite it's light weight, a clean shot puts them right down, so, I am being a bit old school with the heavy .243, but, I'm stuck in my ways. That plus the heavier bullet can do double duty for deer, I would NOT recommend the 22 250 for anything over yotes.
Thanks for the info. I've only hunted coyotes once before (sandhills in eastern New Mexico) but I recall the need for extreme patience.

The distressed house cat call should work well here as well. The coyotes have eaten three of my barn cats this year. Luckily several weeks ago someone dropped off an older tom cat who has so far been able to stay out of the coyotes way. This morning a new adult cat showed up at the barn. I guess it's time I get after the coyotes before they get my favorite dog. I am like you in being set in my ways and I like the .243. I'm looking at the Foxpro calls but haven't decided on one yet.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I suppose one could make the distinction twixt dumped or strayed and gone wild to being born wild in the context of 'feral'. It's putting a pretty fine point on it though. To me, a 'feral' cat is one that hunts for it's food and litters it's kittens away from human contact. We have barn cats, that are pretty shy , but will come to people anyway, and then we have ferals, which, as you said, allow NO human contact other than a .22 long rifle. It's easy to tell the difference. Feral( or just plain wild or 'long term stray if you will) are a menace and VERY destructive. I have a strong distaste for feral cats, and a stronger distaste for the people who dump cats , and dogs, out here near my spread as if the room we have somehow makes us able to provide for these animals for no better reason than their former owners could not, or would not. To delsi, you speak of that which you know nothing about. I have to kill many of the animals I speak of here, or they will clean me out. Feral cats slaughter our game birds and chickens, feral dogs kill our cattle and horses, and have attacked people as well, including my son and I and my wife once. Coyotes kill our cattle and horses as well, and the feral dogs interbreed with them creating a whole new class of predator. A formidable one at that. See pic of a coydog on my profile. Serious customer, and this one was 'tamed'. Sorry, but keeping predators and varmints thinned out is absolutely necessary, and is NOT 'murder' by any stretch. The notion is laughable, but I can forgive a certain amount of ignorance given your obvious lack of experience in the matter. We do hunt varmints as a form of recreation, that I will admit to. We consider it a test of skill, calling them in, and it serves a dual purpose. Still not 'murder', but there is killing involved, as ...insensitive...as some may find that fact.
I agree with this post pretty much. My take is it wasn't exactly all meant for me...

Old 05-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Getting back to post 1 I was concerd the it wasn't a kill intention. I don't agree with shooting to wound, or to scare wild critters, but if they are actting as varmints you then do shoot to kill cleanly. I am not familar with new archery terms.

I also agree that coons can and do gut dogs, and when that happens the dog is dead meat. And city people have no clue..

Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I agree with this post pretty much. My take is it wasn't exactly all meant for me...
No, I specifically addressed the second part 'to delsi', should have pargraphed it I suppose

Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Domestic cats have serious impacts on wildlife. Introduction (http://wildlife.wisc.edu/extension/catfly3.htm - broken link)

They should not be allowed to roam freely. People introduced them, and so we have a responsibility to protect wildlife, particularly endangered species, from them.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:42 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Tulips you told me the same thing twice LOL. The summer people leave domestic cats who thrive for a while in the wild long enough to reproduce and the resulting litters there after are wild and so feral cats. The original cat usually ends up as coyotte food, but the young learn the ways of the wild, and do better. There isn't a living chipmunk with in miles of here anymore. I haven't seen one in a long time, and infact I see more bears than what was common chipmunks once.

Nope a wild cat with mange is a dead cat if I get my way. I didn't know there was 5 kinds of mange, and I don't care. I will kill any wild animal that has mange since probably all kinds can be passed on to other animals.

The last animal I killed with mange used to be a red fox, except is was a wicked mess, all goo and mung, and chances of catching it in the barn loft were not good and chances I would invest $$$$ for a vet vist that probably would not be very welcomed by any vet, mean killing the animal as fast and humanly as possible which i did. Then I burned the carcass along with 45 bales of feed hay, and the elbow length chemical gloves i used to move everthing I could tell the fox touched.

BTW didn't and don't plan to read the links. I don't really care what the ASPCA thinks.

Reporting a stray cat might be one thing, but reporting a feral cat is another thing. In the case of strays, I would have no idea who used to own the cat in the first place, and if you think the Fish and Game Warden is just gonna drop everything and come to me over a cat your out in la la land. I can't get F&G to act on real wild bears. I have no idea where the closest ASACP is...

Do you have some pc agenda? Have you ever lived in the wild for a real long time? You tawk like a city girl.

Small town country girl here it's called...EDUCATION.
tanks fer carin' bout' me dough

Old 05-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
Small town country girl here it's called...EDUCATION.
tanks fer carin' bout' me dough
Well fer a second I thought I hadda nuther wife I am pretty rural too. I live in the weeds in New Hampster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting