Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:23 PM

239 posts, read 895,006 times

Advertisements

Why can a 50 year old woman dye her gray hair brown and no one will comment but if a man dyes his hair then people will laugh or talk about him behind his back and act like he is being silly and vain?

I think my husband looks nice with his gray hair gone and 10 years younger (it did look kind of strange the first few days being all one color). He got it done at Haircuttery and they say it is just temporary so he will be gray again in a few months.

So is it more of a stigma for a middle aged man to dye his gray hair brown than a woman?

(He dyed it because he is going to look for a new job and wanted to look younger so he would be able to fight age discrimination)

Last edited by The Outcast; 09-16-2010 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
I have a full head of hair, not even a receding hairline or small bald spot, but it is all white.

Used to be brown but no more.

10 years ago I was traveling so in a minute of boredom I bought a hair color at the pharmacy and applied in in my motel.

When I got home my wife and kids all fell on the floor laughing.

I never did that again. Approaching my mid 60's I guess I should be happy I still have all my hair. Age with grace.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM

141 posts, read 416,930 times
I would say that any man that will develop those silver hairs should be very proud of it. Especially for those older men that don't have any hairloss(Like the poster above) should show off. Plus didn't George Clooney become an even bigger sex symbol when he became gray?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:03 PM

239 posts, read 895,006 times
Yes in theory a man should be proud of those gray hairs and the wisdom that comes with age. A woman in theory should be proud of looking older and not dye her hair either. If you are fifty years old in theory you should be perfectly happy looking all of fifty.

But we live in a youth culture and socially and economically we do better by looking young and the job market is better for MOST PEOPLE if they look forty vs fifty.

I was more interested why there is little social stigma for a woman who dyes her hair but if a man does it he is laughed at, why?

Last edited by The Outcast; 09-16-2010 at 03:26 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
The same reason why guys generally don't wear makeup.

Guys are supposed to impress with money and power, while girls impress with looks. If a middle aged guy has to resort to appealing on his looks then there's an implication of him being a loser or at least not securely successful. Not saying it's right, but that's our social mores.

We make fun of guidos for the same reason.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:20 PM

141 posts, read 416,930 times
Same reason with men that wear hair pieces. It is a sign of mental weakness in a way. A man that is insecure about something evokes ridicule when he tries to hide it.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
Why can a 50 year old woman dye her gray hair brown and no one will comment but if a man dyes his hair then people will laugh or talk about him behind his back and act like he is being silly and vain?

I think my husband looks nice with his gray hair gone and 10 years younger (it did look kind of strange the first few days being all one color). He got it done at Haircuttery and they say it is just temporary so he will be gray again in a few months.

So is it more of a stigma for a middle aged man to dye his gray hair brown than a woman?

(He dyed it because he is going to look for a new job and wanted to look younger so he would be able to fight age discrimination)

You have to be really careful that just for men stuff can look really fake. Male celebrities dye their hair and it looks natural on them. I guess if he is serious about this he should go to a good hairdresser and get it dyed. i understand him not wanting white hair.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
When guys do this, the gold standard is to do it over about a year. Gradually, and no one is shocked by the new look. I like my own gray hair and the wifey thinks its sexy for some reason. But, several of my colleagues have done this and the gradual thing works. And, women sometimes look cool with a monochromatic color. Guys don't. The more money he spends at the salon the better the result will be.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Because the nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
I had a friend who had grey hair at age 26. He didnt dye it. I hear just for men is a good product & costs under 10.00. It lasts a few months so for about $50.00 or so a year you can have all brown, black or whatever color you want.

Who cares what other people say. Its none of their damn business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care