Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times

Advertisements

I've never gotten my hair dyed but I was thinking about it but don't want anything "too permanent". What I mean by that is, I want to try it once and not have to maintain it every few months b'c the root is growing and it looks nasty. Is this possible? Like, if I got highlights (or lowlights, though I don't know the difference!), could I get it once and when my hair grew out, it wouldn't look too bad? Also, I have black hair and I'm Asian. What's a good color? I was thinking of shades of red. I'm also going to be working in a professional environment so the color can't be too crazy. I just don't want blonde or from the blond color pallete. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,830,347 times
I would try just a few highlights in a deep shade of red to see how you like it. If you do, then you can experiment with different shades, but definitely go to a salon, otherwise you can end up with a mess.
Highlights are just that, lighter.
Low lights are typically darker, so wouldn't apply to black hair.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:44 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF! Black hair is a different animal in the hair color world. Go to your stylist and they will be able to work with you on what can work with your color.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF! Black hair is a different animal in the hair color world. Go to your stylist and they will be able to work with you on what can work with your color.
I agree with this.. to a point.

I've dyed my hair black before...and then 5 months later decided that I did not like it. So I de-colorized it and re-dyed it the color I felt like going to at the time.

Then again, I've been dying my own hair for almost 6 years now.

Basically, I would suggest getting a hair stylist to do it your first time and instead of closing your eyes and being comfy - watch what she's doing!

Then, attempt to try it yourself.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM

getting highlights done, if you grow your hair out and not re-highlight, does it look bad? what i'm trying to get at is, i don't want to be "stuck" having to dye my hair all the time b'c i did it once, you know?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:58 PM

If you start with subtle highlights to see if you like it, they will look fairly natural growing out. If you do not like them, then your stylist can cover them easily. The more extreme the contrast, the longer it will take for them to be completely covered, as you will have some "show through". A good stylist will take a look at your natural color and complexion and advise you on the best color options. This will also determine the up keep, as there are a couple of different options. All over highlights(usually called foils) and just a few to add dimension(what I would advise to start with).

Old 01-16-2008, 04:09 PM

Thank you so much for your advice tlb71. I have to wait to rep you though.

Yeah, I'm really lazy and I think getting your hair colored costs a lot of money but I want to try it out! I just don't want to regret it, hate it, and get all bent out of shape about all the money I wasted, ya know? Then again, I could absolutely love it and get hooked ... much to my husband's chagrin I'm sure. Heehee. Anyway, thanks again and I will definitely check out a nice salon type place.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM

Glad I could help. I don't spend much money on clothes, purses, etc. because I would rather spend it on my hair. It can be expensive and I have liked some highlights and others not so much. The great thing is you really only have to deal with the not so much for about 4 weeks if you decide you don't like it. Good Luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I've never gotten my hair dyed but I was thinking about it but don't want anything "too permanent". What I mean by that is, I want to try it once and not have to maintain it every few months b'c the root is growing and it looks nasty. Is this possible? Like, if I got highlights (or lowlights, though I don't know the difference!), could I get it once and when my hair grew out, it wouldn't look too bad? Also, I have black hair and I'm Asian. What's a good color? I was thinking of shades of red. I'm also going to be working in a professional environment so the color can't be too crazy. I just don't want blonde or from the blond color pallete. Thanks!

Congratulations! Have fun with it!

Since your hair is black, go to a professional and ask for like red or caramel brown highlights. Start with highlights first until you're used to the new color and then go for an all over color (if you really love this color).

And yes, don't do blonde! Not for black hair. Stick to caramel browns, woodsy color browns, and/or red shades.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,621,282 times
Coloring is a real art and it's good to find someone through recommendation. I've been getting foil highlights for years and the one time I tried somone new to save a few dollars, it was awful! The closer you stay to your natural color, the less obvious it will be when your hair starts to grow back. I actually go for a lighter color in the Spring and Summer, and then stay with mostly lowlights in the colder months, darker highlights if that makes any sense. Good luck! Jeannie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care