Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,643,800 times

Advertisements

Thanks to HDTV you can tell which news casters are coloring their hair. The trick is to dye your at the first sign of gray, not after you a have a full head of gray hair.

I'm a 52 year old female, I've been coloring my hair since age 16. A few years ago I let my hair go gray, it looks healthier, feels great and I love it.

People may be laughing because the shade of brown dye might not compliment his skin tone, looks monochromatic and fake, or is darker than his eyebrows. If he really wants to pull off the look, he should see a colorist at a hair salon. A cheap box of dye will look... cheap.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 09-27-2010 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Edited to add last sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,435 times
I think you're asking the wrong question. It's not why are women allowed to dye their hair, but men aren't. The question is, why are women expected to dye their hair, but men aren't.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,343 times
Perhaps because men age more gracefully then women. I'm all for men colouring their hair if it looks natural.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Perhaps because men age more gracefully then women. I'm all for men colouring their hair if it looks natural.
I wouldnt say men age more gracefully then women. I have seen some middle aged men that look like they belong in a nursing home.

Women have the upper hand cause they live longer.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,676 times
My husband colors his moustache and I pluck mine.

I had a friend whose husband had a terrible toupee...He looked so bad. We never talked about it, but it was like the elephant in the room when he came home. Finally it was gone, and he looked so much better and younger too.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
To answer your question, I think it is considered more acceptable for women because women are generally thought to care more about their appearance than men. My husband has a full head of almost white hair (age 56) I thought it looked nice on him but he prefers a little more "pepper" than "salt" in his salt and pepper hair. The hairdresser that cuts my hair did what they call "grey blending" on his hair, and it looks excellent. Very natural looking, not "dyed look" at all. It just looks greyer now instead of "white."

Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,776 times
I like it when a guy is natural, whether he's gray, bald, orange or purple, and hope my hubby doesn't resort to color/rugs. That said, I agree with the poster who said it's none of anyones' biz.
My mother colored her hair and it was just too severe, too dark a tone for her skin shade. It looked as bad as many think mens' colors look. Once she went a little lighter it was fine.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:28 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Default Look yourself; don't dye

I think a man should accept the changes as he ages. Why try to look like someone else? If you dye your hair at 50, you are not looking yourself as you really are at 50. Better to get a good haircut and stay well-groomed.

Better to get that body ripped, shed the fat, eat a healthy diet, get enough rest, and focus on other aspects of your life that are more important and more indicative of what kind of man you really are.

Besides, who the hell has time to keep dying their hair all the time? Isn't this repeat process damaging to the hair you already have?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:39 PM

218 posts, read 455,089 times
Just for Men......Now you can look old enough to know what you're doing and young enough to actually do it!!!!! Best commercial EVER!!!!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Are you British? In the US we use "coloring" as the proper spelling. We don't use the "u". Same with "favorite". We don't spell it "favourite".

Oh - and we spell it "theater" not "theatre".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care