Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:08 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times

Advertisements

I am getting some grey hair, so i've decided to dye my hair, but have never done it myself. Anyone here dye his/her own hair? Is there a good, safe product/kit out there ? How long does it normally take? What pre-planning do i need to do? Also, i've cut my hair pretty short recently, so is it easier to let it grow first before dying my hair? Thanks.

Last edited by JL; 12-27-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 04:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
I usually get my color done at a salon, but occasionally I will do it at home. Most products will have you keep it on for 25 to 30 minutes. I also put some on my eyebrows--it takes 5 years off of your face! I usually stick to a Clairol product and find it easy to do. If you haven't done it before, you can use some face cream around your ears and hairline to keep the color from getting on your face. There will be gloves that will protect your hands. Directions will tell you to do a skintest to see if you have any allergies to the product. I have never done it. I use an old towel on my shoulders. Just make sure that you don't get color on your cabinets. The color will easily come off of your sink, probably your floors, and definitely your shower. You just need to pick the right color. I have found that it is easier to get it done at a salon so I don't have to worry about any dripping, but sometimes it is just easier timewise and weather-wise to do it at home.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,433 times
I color my hair all the time, every 3-4 weeks. ugh.... I agree with SXMGirl, I never did the allergy test or the timing test. Wear a button down or black shirt that you don't care about when you color (or naked under a towel).

I've used Natural Instincts and Clairol Nice and Easy with excellent results.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,994 times
I color mine at home too, every 4-6 weeks. The other posters have given great advice.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 38,738 times
I used to color mine, for 10 long years. I did the base at home and went to the salon for highlights/lowlights 3x a year. I used two colors to achieve my base color (in my case 5G and 6G) and mixed them together. This allowed me to get just the right color for my base. I used L'Oreal Excellence Cream. Be sure to shake it up well and it won't drip or run. It run's about $10 a box and often the package has a $1 coupon inside.
Skincare, cosmetics, haircare, haircolor, hair styling and men's line : L'Oréal Paris}

I wore a garbage bag, just punching a hole for my head and arms.
Things I was taught by my stylist and learned along the way...
... color your hair often enough that you can apply a thin line of color - avoid thick globs of color.
...never make a line longer than 4" as this will cause you to have bars of color - shorter lines blend more completely
...don't connect those lines horizontally around your head, so as to avoid bars or color
...don't leave it on longer than recommended
...use a color fast shampoo once you start dying your hair

I colored my hair because my face looked too young for gray hair and I felt the gray washed me out. Now, I've aged and my skin color is lighter and the gray that frams my face is more becoming. I saved myself thousands by coloring my base myself over those 10 years. You'll get good at it and it will be worth your time to do it at home. Infact, the primary reason I resorted to doing it myself is it was a pain to run to the salon every 3 weeks.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM

860 posts, read 2,717,068 times
There is lots of good advice on the hair care sub-forum.
My roots come in every 2 weeks. Its exhausting. I am 42 and have used sunscreen my whole adult life so I have got myself a few years back on my face but I have the hair color of a 60 year old woman. Yet its fast growing.
Buy a brush and bowl kit at a beauty supply store and also use a nice wide tooth comb. DO NOT apply evenly from root to tips each time. Its not necessary and will create a less natural result. If you use the brush for your roots and "feather" it out with a comb, you will be amazed at how well it blends. I was so terrified I would ruin my hair, but if you are careful and really devote some time and proper supplies you will get a nice result If you are staying within your shade range close to your base color.

I think its very important to color your hair 1 day after shampoo, well conditioned but also rinsed, and with NO styling products on the hair. Also do not be afraid to leave a color(not a bleach) on for at least 45 min. to cover your roots.
Always do the deep conditioner after coloring even if your hair is flat the next day. You will need it to maintain color and shine. NEVER wash with shampoo after coloring. You can loose up to 40% of your new color.
Happy coloring! In this economy I feel good about empowering women to take care of their own roots. Its such alot of money, and I am sure many of us have other uses for all the $$ that could be spent at a salon.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
Almost all hair colors come in DIY kits. So there is no need to worry. There are no prerequisitese for coloring hair. Only you need to do a small patch test before applying the color. this is because dyes contain chemicals, and you need to be sure that there re no adverse reactions from your body. There is also no need to grow hair to any particular length before coloring. Just color it whenever you wish to.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
Loreal Everpure shampoo is really great to use when you color your hair. I used to use Biolage, and before that Pantene for color treated hair... but would get frustrated because the color would always start to wash out and you'd get that coppery/reddish tint which I can't stand. But the Loreal Everpure keeps the color really nice and true between colorings, it's really good stuff. Smells good, too, and makes my hair smooth and soft. A little bit goes a long way so don't let the cost turn you off. It's worth it.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:58 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I've used Natural Instincts and Clairol Nice and Easy with excellent results.
Yep, I have had excellent results with Clairol Natural Instincts as well. It is a demi-permanent. I would start with that. I did NOT like using a permanent dye. Start with something pretty close to your natural color is my recommendation.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I do mine at home too and also use two colors to get good coverage and it comes out rather nice both blonde shades . I imagine all of us who color our hair at home are saving quite a bit of money . I know i went to the salon just a couple of months ago and it was fifty bucks to get it done . I guess cause my hair is rather long down below my shoulders . Oh well yep do it at home so much easier than having to deal with a new hairstylists and a new salon and the weather .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care