Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:11 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,390 times

Advertisements

Be careful with Nice n Easy it really lifts well and brightens but its harsher than Preference and Excellence. Use it once to give a nice "lift" but then go back to the others.

I really like Perfect 10, especially to do my roots. Just mix up 1/3 and close tight. It covers the gray in 15 minutes. Not 10! Perfect 10 also has a pretty light golden brown. Full Tilt Toffee. If you are going to go light warm brown ,please go ahead and do a full permanent dye, say I. It looks weird with warmer colors to have the grays peeing out. Now if you are blondish, they can look cool. Especially with a few highlights.

I use Natural Instincts to "refresh" my color with less damage. It does not cover my gray very well. I have to have permanent for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I'm going with black since that is my natural color hair. These products work well whether for men or women right? Hair is hair?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM

344 posts, read 993,927 times
I've colored my hair at home for years. Just couldn't reconcile paying someone else to do what I can do. I use Preference by L'Oreal because it seems to cover the grays well. Lasts for 3-4 weeks for me before new growth begins to show.

One thing I learned the hard way is to not color my entire head each time (assuming you use the same color each time). I noticed unevenness in the color (ends were lighter than roots) and was told by L'Oreal to do the roots for the entire time but limit coloring the rest of the hair to the last 10 minutes.

After I apply color to the roots, I check about 5-10 minutes later to see if I have color on my face, arms, walls, door and wipe it off with a wet cloth. It takes a few minutes for the color drops to show on places they should not be.

You may want to color your hair when the Clariol, L'Oreal, etc. hotline is open in case you have questions. The days and times are on the box.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,194 times
Naturetint-about as natural as color in a box can get. Loved it! No bad smell, no itchy scalp, and minimal bad chemicals (no amonia).

I did it 4 weeks ago and it is still black and shiny. I do use Black Malva from Aveda.

Highly recommend the product.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Watch some you.tube videos on it as well. I learned how to apply fake eye lashes and blow drye my hair better because of this

Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 AM

525 posts, read 1,851,194 times
I forgot to add that even thought Naturetint is 'natural' it did cover my grays very well. It has been 4 weeks and counting.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Default Bright Pink Roots !!

I decided to darken my hair a bit from strawberry-ish mid blonde and used an auburn shade (Loriel- Red Penny) My grey roots turned a very bright reddish/pink, while the rest remained almost the same as before.
Is my hair resisting the color and the grey taking in too much?
Any cure for this? My teenage son said it looked "totally cool punk". Not the look I was going for.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Oh Gosh Nannie reds are tricky. I often have to go back over my white roots which glow with red dye. I just brush a light neutral brown dye over the bright areas and blend with a comb. It will tone down that glow. Of course this is for an auburn shade, so that it will blend with the back. One of those roots only kits may do the trick.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'm going with black since that is my natural color hair. These products work well whether for men or women right? Hair is hair?
Hair is hair

Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Do the Allergy Test...Do the Allergy Test...Do the Allergy Test...

I can't stress this enough. I my first reaction a few years back, 25 years after I started playing around with home/salon hair color. I was cocky and didn't think I had to do it. Please trust me on this.

I still color my hair but I am SUPER cautious about everything now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care