Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM

638 posts, read 993,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonbeachlover View Post
Tipping is getting way out of hand. Everybody wants a big tip for a service they already charge enough for in the first place.
I agree with this except in the food industry where waitress/waiters rely on tips for most of their income. You are made to feel like you have to tip everyone who does a service for you even though you just paid them a hefty fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonbeachlover View Post
Tipping is getting way out of hand. Everybody wants a big tip for a service they already charge enough for in the first place.
You DO realize that the vast majority of hair stylist PAY the salon to work there right?

It's called booth rent, and it varies anywhere from $25/week up to hundreds each and every week; no matter if no clients come in, or you are in the ICU, or are on vacation, etc... It's always due each and every week.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,841 times
I recently had an appointment with my hairdresser and my appointment was at 10:00am , but she didn't start on my hair on time because she was doing another client hair that was there before me , she washed and bowl dried my hair an left the laundry mat ( that was down the street) to wash some towels . I had to be at work at 5pm but she didn't finish my hair till 4:00 ...that was my worse experience ever not going back to her anymore

Old 02-04-2014, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 7,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
You DO realize that the vast majority of hair stylist PAY the salon to work there right?

It's called booth rent, and it varies anywhere from $25/week up to hundreds each and every week; no matter if no clients come in, or you are in the ICU, or are on vacation, etc... It's always due each and every week.
I think I do remember something like that. If that's true,wouldn't that be all the more reason not to tip the owner? That was what the original poster was concerned about and ask advice and opinions about.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Yikes, I would never have thought to tip a shop owner.
me neither!

Old 02-05-2014, 04:23 AM

Another example that I have experienced(not about hairdresser,but tipping). First the first time in my life,I went to Ulta(a large beauty/cosmetics store and Salon combined to get my eyebrows professionally done. They have a brow bar and I stopped and talked to the lady attending and got her recommendations,advice,etc. She took me back to the salon area,went over exactly what she would do(free consultation,etc.) and I decided to do it. I had always been afraid to try it even though I really needed to because my eyebrows are real thick(according to her a blessing) and needed a good cleaning,etc. I could never get them to look the way I'd like. When finished,she gave me a receipt to take to the cashier up front. I got a product I needed and proceeded to go pay for it and the brow service I got. When she gave me the total of the bill,she said...."Do you want to leave Amy a tip? We can add it onto your debit card." I hadn't even thought about giving her a tip!! I said no,I will give her cash and thanked her for reminding me(made it look like I had forgotten...LOL). I thought the $20.00 for the service she did was enough,but I gave her another $5.00 tip on top of that. Since I had never gotten this service before,I didn't know you were suppose to tip them as well and I'm not sure how their salary at Ulta works. Has anyone else experienced this and have any opinions?

Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoStacey View Post
I recently had an appointment with my hairdresser and my appointment was at 10:00am , but she didn't start on my hair on time because she was doing another client hair that was there before me , she washed and bowl dried my hair an left the laundry mat ( that was down the street) to wash some towels . I had to be at work at 5pm but she didn't finish my hair till 4:00 ...that was my worse experience ever not going back to her anymore
WOW!! That's insane!!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:23 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
This is not a good comparison. The waitress/waiter has absolutely nothing to do with the meal prices going up and they get paid very little. In our part of the country,the tip is their main wage,so no unless they were absolutely horrible,you would never cut back on their tips. As a matter of fact,we've started tipping 20% most of the time.
How is it not a good comparison? The stylist, even if they're the owner doesn't get to choose when their costs go up just like the server doesn't get to choose when the menu items go up in price.

How do you know that the tip isn't their main wage? Do you know how much your stylist makes off each hair cut?

If you don't want to tip then go to an Aveda salon. They charge more for what you get, but you don't have to tip...

Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
How is it not a good comparison? The stylist, even if they're the owner doesn't get to choose when their costs go up just like the server doesn't get to choose when the menu items go up in price.

How do you know that the tip isn't their main wage? Do you know how much your stylist makes off each hair cut?

If you don't want to tip then go to an Aveda salon. They charge more for what you get, but you don't have to tip...
Even though I am new to the forum and can't hardly believe my first posts are on tipping a hairdresser,I've just got to comment here again. You can't be serious!! Do you really think their main wage is tips?! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard!! Tipping and how much is also a choice....not mandatory and believe me everyone does not tip or tip the customary percentages.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post

Seriously? You think they go to cosmetology school only to rely on tips? NO WAY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care