Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 PM

15 posts, read 65,948 times

Advertisements

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Do I need a lot of long layers, and would I need to use a curling iron or hot rollers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Now idea, but it's very pretty.
I wish I knew how to fuss with my hair. But, alas, a tomboy forever.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watgirljl View Post

Do I need a lot of long layers, and would I need to use a curling iron or hot rollers?

Layers and medium/large barrel curling iron. If you have thin hair; use mousse while hair is damp.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I style my hair in a similar way. It can be done with flat iron. In my experience a flat iron makes better curls than a curling iron. It sounds counterintuitive and it took me a few times to get it, but it works.

Tutorial: How To Curl Hair with Flat Iron - YouTube

The girl in this 2nd video is annoying, but I'm posting it because that's how I do it and I don't think it's necessary to twist it one more time as many other videos show.

How to Curl Hair with a Flat Iron - YouTube

Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
It's actually a two step process:

1. Use a curling iron.
2. Go for a 10 mile ride in my convertible.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:13 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:

it's very.....70's

Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
it's very.....70's
So what? There are styles that look good on people and/or they like them and styles that don't. That's all there is to it.

I for one don't want straight sticks no matter how trendy they may or may not be.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I've never paid much attention to styling my hair - it's always been long and brown and thick and mostly straight (I have a slight wave to it) and boring - but I recently went to a salon and got it done. Layered, colored, highlights... and she styled it. I couldn't believe my hair could look so beautiful! She used a 1" flat iron and straightened it half the way down, then twisted it to give those big curls down at the ends. It was so pretty and looked similar to the OP's photo except that my hair is longer and darker (no blonde).

So it has taken me about two weeks of practicing, but I can finally do it myself.

Here's what I do: Wash and condition your hair (I use Biolage for color treated hair) and then use an additional conditioner (I use Biolage conditioning balm) - one that you leave in for a few minutes, then rinse out. Towel dry your hair. Then use a leave-in product like It's a Ten ... put that into your hair and then blow dry your hair.. Then flat-iron it. If you want it straight just start at the roots and pull it straight. If you want curls, start at the roots, pull down, and then when you want the curls to start - twist.

The stylist that did my hair warned against using the flat irons that you can use on wet hair - she said it damages the hair really bad. She said it's much better to use a conditioning balm, then a leav-in conditioner, then dry with a round brush, and then flat iron.

Sounds like a lot of work but your hair will be super soft and beautiful. Plus, I have found that my hair will stay styled this way for two days as long as I don't get it wet! When I wake up the next day sometimes it's even prettier because it has more of a natural look to it than it does on the first day you style it. It's still pretty the first day, but the second day... I dunno... I guess it's more relaxed looking or something. I love it.

And it makes your hair SO super soft and silky. My husband loves it, too!!

Anyway - I'm a total tomboy too (I don't even wear makeup, I tried and failed miserably at it) but now I can at least do my hair right.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
If your hair is not naturally curly, be prepared to spend a lot of time in the bathroom working on your hair.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM

240 posts, read 420,316 times
Quote:

Looks like she used a curling iron.

1. Wash and condition hair

2. Towel dry most of the moisture off.

3. Put in some mousse or some kind of molding hair product.

4. Blow dry.

5. Use curling iron on ends (like she did on her ends only).

6. Hairspray and style.

Well, at least, that's what it looks like to me...LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care