Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else gotten dizzy and nauseous while washing their hair in the shower?
That happened to me today it was so awful. I massaged my scalp quite a bit while shampooing and conditioning. Could the massaging have caused that? I recall this happening to me atleast once before but that was sometime last year or something.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,220 times
Hmm, whenever I feel dizzy in the shower it's because I'm overheating. It especially happens when I'm washing my hair because my hair is so long and thick that it is literally a bicep workout. That may be what's happening to you -- you're getting too hot.

Once sure way to know if by checking the temperature of your feet. My toes always feel like they're on fire when it's happening to me.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
I would go in for a check up. Both of you.

Its not exactly normal unless you live in really high temps, or are old enough to have balance problems.
It could be numerous things.

My two thoughts on it:
- It could be you just splashed some water down your ear and that will definitely make you feel off. Have you ever had swimmers ear?

- Get your blood sugar checked.

My father keeps a little glass of juice in the bathroom (plastic cup) to drink right after his shower. (4oz) He does have diabetes and the heat affects him like SB posted. Heat makes your blood sugar drop.

I had swimmers ear so bad one year though I started like that and then the pain set in soon there after. Ear infections can clear up on their own. You may have one that is coming and going if you live in a really humid area, swim a lot or are getting water down your ear from aggressive shampooing.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:44 AM

114 posts, read 244,858 times
Massaging wayyyyyy to hard maybe? Or sugar levels like previously stated.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:35 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I would go in for a check up. Both of you.

Its not exactly normal unless you live in really high temps, or are old enough to have balance problems.
It could be numerous things.
Ah, I'm anemic and my blood pressure is always on the lower end of "normal", but my doctor says I'm healthy. I have already taught myself to never take showers without having eaten first (so never as soon as I wake up) and I know when my body is starting to feel sluggish. It sucks, but it affects my mom to a lesser extent as well so it may be genetic.

Also, for me, it's more likely to happen to me in the summer (Houston) than in the winter.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Ah, I'm anemic and my blood pressure is always on the lower end of "normal", but my doctor says I'm healthy. I have already taught myself to never take showers without having eaten first (so never as soon as I wake up) and I know when my body is starting to feel sluggish. It sucks, but it affects my mom to a lesser extent as well so it may be genetic.

Also, for me, it's more likely to happen to me in the summer (Houston) than in the winter.
Yep. Low blood pressure made worse by the heat and lack of air circulation was what I was thinking too. Been through it, also.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
I'm very curious if other people who experience this have noticed it happens when you have your arms raised and turn your head?

I can do this very curious thing where if I raise my arm and turn my head a certain way, I can cause my vision to completely black out. It phases back in slowly after 30 seconds or so and I'll see a lot of tiny colored pixel dots for another 30 seconds or so. I often feel dizzy and nauseous during this time.

I've mentioned it to many doctors and they all look at me like I'm nutso. I've had tests done to make sure there's no nerve or blood vessel getting pinched off. The best advice my doctors have for me is just not to lift my arms and turn my head

Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
It happens to me. My hair is pretty long and it takes a while to shampoo and condition it. Sometimes I even get out of breath, but I think its due to my iron def anemia.

I have started taking cooler showers and it has gotten better. It worried me when it first started happening because I have epilepsy and I used to have seizures in the shower if the water was too hot back in my 20's. For a long time my dr had me taking cold showers only.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:18 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,812,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm very curious if other people who experience this have noticed it happens when you have your arms raised and turn your head?

I can do this very curious thing where if I raise my arm and turn my head a certain way, I can cause my vision to completely black out. It phases back in slowly after 30 seconds or so and I'll see a lot of tiny colored pixel dots for another 30 seconds or so. I often feel dizzy and nauseous during this time.

I've mentioned it to many doctors and they all look at me like I'm nutso. I've had tests done to make sure there's no nerve or blood vessel getting pinched off. The best advice my doctors have for me is just not to lift my arms and turn my head
Yikes! Do you get migraines, or have you ever been diagnosed with Vertigo? Occasionally I get Vertigo when I have a really bad cold. I'll get violently dizzy (I don't know why I've always used the word "violently" to describe it, but it's so sudden and extreme that I can't think of a better word) and nauseous when I turn my head a certain way in the shower, or blow-dry my hair upside down. I have to immediately sit down so I don't pass out or throw up. When I first started having these episodes years ago, my doctor gave me some simple neck exercises to do to reduce it along with Antivert (basically, prescription Dramamine) and antibiotics, because anytime I start having these Vertigo episodes, I also have some sort of sinus, or ear infection. I have this problem every couple years or so. I just got back from the doctor, and right now I have fluid in my right ear, and it's thrown my equilibrium off, but luckily *knock wood* no Vertigo spells so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
It happens to me. My hair is pretty long and it takes a while to shampoo and condition it.
Same. But, as I said above, it tends to happen when I'm sick or otherwise feeling weak.

Last edited by Neemy; 09-14-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 04:24 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
Vertigo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care