Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
(le sigh)

Pessimism is so unattractive

I am just not understanding this mentality because there are LOTS of representations of brown to dark skin Blacks in the media....MANY MANY of which are VERY positive.

Just a few random examples....and I could seriously go on and on and on....

Oprah (no explanation needed)

Mellody Hobson (President of Ariel Investments and a financial correspondent for ABC

Naomi Campbell (model and then some)

Susan Taylor (Essence Magazine)

June Ambrose (celebrity stylish)

Kelly Rowland (singer Destiny's Child)

Gabrielle Union

B. Smith (model, restauranteur, home decor business mogul)

I could go on and on and on......
I like these people, but outside of Oprah, they aren't the most visible black celebs showing up on the magazine covers/mainstream media ......

You really have to seek out the brown-er women.

Some days I feel like I should be singing this song:

Little Jackie - The World Should Revolve Around Me - YouTube

"There's only one me in the galaxy,
I am an endangered species,
This kind of flower don't grow on earth
Just lettin ya know for what it's worth"

:P

I don't have low self-esteem stemming from colorism. I don't feel mistreated due to my tone. But I do feel underrepresented and under-appreciated at times!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't have low self-esteem stemming from colorism. I don't feel mistreated due to my tone. But I do feel underrepresented and under-appreciated at times!
My friend, I think we may all feel like that at times.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
What does it feel like to have fake hair and fake **** at the same time? I would feel fraudulent or like I was in drag. Can anyone enlighten me?
How rude.

I'd think to feel like a drag queen, one would have to be a man...for starters.

I get my hair colored so it's fake to some extent, so I'll answer that part of your question. Feels fine!

I'm guessing if someone had implants and wore wigs because of breast cancer/chemo you wouldn't ask them if they felt fraudulent or like a drag queen.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
A rather timely article regarding Gabrielle Union in October issue of Ebony Magazine in which she gives words of wisdom to her younger self and to women with low self esteem....

Notes of Wisdom To Her Younger Self
Your deep Mahogany skin may not resemble that of the others in your family, but it's just as gorgeous and you're just as worthy....One day you'll appreciate how much your brown skin shines in the moonlight, glistens in the sun and ages ever so slowly.

Her advice to women with low self-esteem
Don’t let that pesky low self-esteem creep in and fool you into believing that you don't have value…don’t allow it to crush your will or dampen your spirit…Never worry about LOVE....real love will find you....an incredible love with an incredible man....there is a beautiful rainbow at the end of your storm. Don't let other people's needs, wants, desires, fantasies, hopes or dreams dictate your choices and decisions. Follow your own path, and don't worry that you’re being selfish or disloyal.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
The people you named Calipoppy aren't considered attractive by the mainstream.
Well,except Naomi and Gabrielle.
I read somewhere that the reason Kelly's career didn't take off like Beyonce's is because she didn't have "the look".

Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The people you named Calipoppy aren't considered attractive by the mainstream.
Well,except Naomi and Gabrielle.
I read somewhere that the reason Kelly's career didn't take off like Beyonce's is because she didn't have "the look".
Its all a matter of opinion.....

By the way, Kelly Rowland is definitely the more beautiful of these two. However, we must remember that the group Destiny's Child was created as a vehicle for Beyonce's music career by her father.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:05 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Right, being a white woman not only gives you the.right to stick your nose into the hair business of black women, it also makes you the final arbiter of when said discussion should be closed. No wonder white men keep dreaming of going to Eastern Europe to find a woman without the western entitlement attitude. I'm surprised they don't just go gay to escape this "I know best and everyone should shut up and listen to me" attitude.
when a woman of ANY COLOUR posts a pic of herself online asking why men no longer find her attractive as they did before her body modifications, an opinion is what she's asking for.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.

I would tell Courtney stodden the same thing.

Your hair is bleached, processed and DEAD.

You look FAKE.

No one is naturally born with that particular hair colour, or boobs like plastic torpedos.

And WTF speaking of ignorance if you think Eastern European women are the silent passive types.

THAT'S stereotyping.

And racist.

But I guess that's ok....

Old 09-08-2012, 05:16 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its all a matter of opinion.....

By the way, Kelly Rowland is definitely the more beautiful of these two. However, we must remember that the group Destiny's Child was created as a vehicle for Beyonce's music career by her father.

Why can't both of these women be beautiful period. These two are equally beautiful. I do think that Kelly sings much better though.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:43 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
If other women can dye their hair, then so can black women. If they want to straighten their hair with a hot comb or a box of chemicals, then so be it. Do you, boo-boo.

As for men not liking "fake" women, weave doesn't bother me any more than makeup and fake nails/eyelashes do.

For some reason, though, I find colored contacts to be exceedingly deceptive.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:50 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I look a lot like her (same phenotype), and I have one "admitted" white great grandparent.

I also feel pretty "invisible" in the media. And sometimes in real life, so I totally understand nyanna's complaints.
This woman looks absolutely stunning. I do think she would look even more stunning with an natural hairstyle, but she is still beautiful in this picture. African genes are just profoundly more dominant, so a white great grandparents genes will often recede into the distant genetic past. Women this gorgeous are ONLY invisible in the United States. Meanwhile...in Africa, the Caribbean, Europe, Canada, South America......women of this incredible beauty and rich dark color are NOT invisible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care