Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,506,760 times

Advertisements

Hey - if those ladies of the 1960's and 70's picture themselves as young hippie girls - more power to them! I wish I could imagine I was a young girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
I think it depends on the shape of their face. If they have a fuller face they tend to be able to pull it off.... but if they have managed to stay very thin.... and their facial features show- cheekbones and such... the long hair pulls their face down and ages them.... these women would look better with shorter hair.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Personally I dont think longer hair on women always has anything to do with resurrecting the 'hippie' era. Otherwise, some would be wearing the 'fro'....remember that one? Some of us wear what looks good, what we like, and I just dont look good with short hair. Period. Look at the 'hippie era' clothes everyone is wearing these days, some of the styles many wear now were what was worn back in the 80's, yikes!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 PM

13 posts, read 56,718 times
Do you notice that most beauty makeovers involve drastic haircuts? I think to many women have the same haircut they had in their 20s when they are older and do not realize how silly it looks!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,522,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I think it depends on the shape of their face. If they have a fuller face they tend to be able to pull it off.... but if they have managed to stay very thin.... and their facial features show- cheekbones and such... the long hair pulls their face down and ages them.... these women would look better with shorter hair.

I have always had a thin face and even when I was young and got a short shag or other short style I looked like a refugee. I once when I had the short shag bought several wigs to wear to work. I need fullness and shoulder length hair and that is why I look the best in an A line.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
I have always had a thin face and even when I was young and got a short shag or other short style I looked like a refugee. I once when I had the short shag bought several wigs to wear to work. I need fullness and shoulder length hair and that is why I look the best in an A line.
LOL....I am not saying to buzz it off...jeepers.... I think a little length is good on anyone.... but I don't think jaunt cheekbones look too hot with extra long layers pulling them down..... They really Age a person.... layers around the face, something to add some fullness to the features is needed... and the length should sit above the shoulders.....or graze them....

Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Personally I dont think longer hair on women always has anything to do with resurrecting the 'hippie' era. Otherwise, some would be wearing the 'fro'....remember that one? Some of us wear what looks good, what we like, and I just dont look good with short hair. Period. Look at the 'hippie era' clothes everyone is wearing these days, some of the styles many wear now were what was worn back in the 80's, yikes!
I've seen pictures of your hair....it's georgeous, and frankly looks great on you. I think that the long hair/ short hair simply depends on the woman. I'm over 40 and my hair is waist length. I always get compliments on it, and people have a hard time believing my age.....

Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,684 times
If the lady hasn't been a smoker or a sun-worshipper, and has a nice waistline, and thick enough (non-dyed jet black) hair, I say go for it! Why the heck not?

Old 01-03-2009, 05:28 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,522,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
LOL....I am not saying to buzz it off...jeepers.... I think a little length is good on anyone.... but I don't think jaunt cheekbones look too hot with extra long layers pulling them down..... They really Age a person.... layers around the face, something to add some fullness to the features is needed... and the length should sit above the shoulders.....or graze them....
That is what my A line looks like but i did modify it by having a few wisps of hair on the sides of my face plus I also wear razor cut bangs. The sides of the A line is shoulder length and it is tapered shorter in the back. Simple style. I just have high cheekbones and a thin face.This style suits me.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM

11 posts, read 30,571 times
I had long hair for years. Just so much easier..and I could trim it myself, and not try to trust a beautician who usually cut it into some style she imagined.

I few years ago I went short..and after many agonizing discussions with a self-styled "stylist" finally received the cut I wanted. We are now good friends, though I have to remind her every time of the silhouette I want, and how the edges are to be trimmed. I look so much better with short hair..my face is too harsh now to have long hair dragged straight back. So much for graceful ageing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care