Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,273,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am kindof agreeing with Greenchili.
This thread is discussing a matter of taste, and as in art, everyone's opinion is valid, so the argument is pointless.

Happy Holidays to one and all, and especially to you, Greenchili.
God Bless us one and all.... Happy New Year too!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM

72 posts, read 154,411 times
I think it's fine for an older woman to have long hair as long as she takes care of it. My paternal grandmother is 74 years old and her hair has always been long. She usually wears a ponytail. It looks nice on her.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
So many women are wearing their hair longer these days. It must be a big boon for the extension industry. As most women age their hair gets thinner and if it is allowed to grow too long, it gets very stringy looking. Not everyone looks good this way. I am thinking of women probably after the late 50's though. One's that have not had cosmetic surgery and don't wear extensions and don't have stylists following them around all day fluffing and fixing stray hairs.

That said, I sort of don't like those really short styles that older women get, either. It is true that as you age, hormones change and the features appear more mannish. Really short hair just emphasizes this, but then a lot of women that age think that such conversations are just trivial and not worth the remaining time that they have left on the planet.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
My mom and my great aunt both have long hair (my great aunt has long white hair). It looks fine. My mom had never had long hair until about ten years ago.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Back in the 1970s when I was young, many women had long hair. It got started in the hippie era of the late 1960s and continued well into the 1980s. Trouble is many of these women who grew up with the long hair in the 60s and 70s are now Grandmas and no longer look all that great with super long hair. Though they still look at themselves as young hippie girls from 1970s- instead of the middle aged women they are today.

I say cut your hair into something more fitting to your age and situation. Agree or disagree?
Sorry for reviving this ancient thread, but someone had linked to it in another thread.

I find your statement odd. Long hair did not start in the hippie era, it has been the default for women for thousands of years. There are statues of ancient Sumerian dancers who had long hair 4 or 5 thousand years ago. Long hair has always been considered attractive in women...

Old 04-06-2014, 06:31 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,927,166 times
I got a notice there was a new post to this thread. I forgot all about it since my last post to it was January 2009. Was good to see when the LAST time I had my hair cut was as I spoke of my new hair cut. I have barely trimmed my hair since then. An inch or two at the most and I do it myself. After being so happy with it cut shorter at first I quickly became miserable with the shorter hair. The only thing is I kept telling myself my hair was awful and needed to be cut off at that time. My hair is now half way down my back again. I wear it curly on the ends. I use one big foam roller at night on top of my head to get this effect. I m almost 65. I do not have wrinkles. YES I look older and my hair is all sliver but it is well cared for and I plan on keeping it long. I really do not care what other people think. I think this is a privilege of my age.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 AM

Sometimes I get the impression that younger people expect more mature people to become some sexless neutered beings as they get older. A friend in India told me that for instance traditionally Indian parents are expected to cease having sex when they get older and they don't want any more children.
While it is certainly not as extreme in the West, I do sense a similar attitude sometimes. Like, who cares what that woman looks like, she is 50, beyond menopause, why does she still want to look attractive to anyone?!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:07 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sometimes I get the impression that younger people expect more mature people to become some sexless neutered beings as they get older. A friend in India told me that for instance traditionally Indian parents are expected to cease having sex when they get older and they don't want any more children.
While it is certainly not as extreme in the West, I do sense a similar attitude sometimes. Like, who cares what that woman looks like, she is 50, beyond menopause, why does she still want to look attractive to anyone?!
You know what? You might not be too far from the truth. I sense the same attitude and mentality from some people too. Since I work with men all day I get to hear some of their comments and it makes me sick sometimes. I see nothing wrong with women having long hair regardless of their age.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
You know what? You might not be too far from the truth. I sense the same attitude and mentality from some people too. Since I work with men all day I get to hear some of their comments and it makes me sick sometimes. I see nothing wrong with women having long hair regardless of their age.
Wow, thought you were a woman at first but found out you are a man. It's really nice to hear a man say that. It really bothers me when men talk like that. I am 43 and have long hair and take great care of it. Funny thing is when I have gone to my daughter's college I have seen plenty of 20-something women with long hair that looks bad because they don't take care of it.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:08 AM

We're not all neanderthals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care