Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Women over 40 should cut their long hair
Real Long Hair looks great no matter how old you are 43 62.32%
Cut your hair short once you reach 40 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times

Advertisements

Long hair makes me feel more feminine. Age is not gonna stop me from having it long...

Greenchili
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Long hair makes me feel more feminine. Age is not gonna stop me from having it long...

Greenchili

ditto!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Most women in the media are very pretty, no matter what style they have. Most ordinary women are not. Most ordinary women do not get facelifts. Women get old, sagging skin, wrinkles, put on weight in places they never had before.

Once we humans reach our prime we are physically going downhill. The thing is, to attempt to look attractive without appearing to try too hard - that means 'age appropriate'. Many of us can recall the woman in the 1960's who was wearing knee high boots and a minny skirt while she was in her 40's. That is a jarring look.

Age, for some, brings wisdom and prudence. For others it brings panic.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Most women in the media are very pretty, no matter what style they have. Most ordinary women are not. Most ordinary women do not get facelifts. Women get old, sagging skin, wrinkles, put on weight in places they never had before.

Once we humans reach our prime we are physically going downhill. The thing is, to attempt to look attractive without appearing to try too hard - that means 'age appropriate'. Many of us can recall the woman in the 1960's who was wearing knee high boots and a minny skirt while she was in her 40's. That is a jarring look.

What age should bring IS - being comfortable being who you are, doing what YOU feel good doing, and not caring what society says or thinks. You will never make everyone happy - so why not make yourself happy?

As i have aged, i have found that i care so much less what ANYone thinks of ANYthing, and i think it must be one of the best things to come along with aging. Being myself has never felt so good - and i will wear what i like and feel good in, whether it's something fun - or something classy.

If i want to grow my hair long and wild and dye it, or cut it short and have it highlighted (or lowlighted), i'll do it. I'd rather see an older woman keeping up with what is fresh, than be stuck back in time.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:48 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
Quote:

Most women in the media wear a TON of makeup,have you ever seen them without... Aging gracefully does not mean you must cut your hair or color it. And for some its just genetics. They won the gene pool!

Last edited by Greenchili; 09-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 09-27-2011, 05:47 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
What age should bring IS - being comfortable being who you are, doing what YOU feel good doing, and not caring what society says or thinks. You will never make everyone happy - so why not make yourself happy?

As i have aged, i have found that i care so much less what ANYone thinks of ANYthing, and i think it must be one of the best things to come along with aging. Being myself has never felt so good - and i will wear what i like and feel good in, whether it's something fun - or something classy.

If i want to grow my hair long and wild and dye it, or cut it short and have it highlighted (or lowlighted), i'll do it. I'd rather see an older woman keeping up with what is fresh, than be stuck back in time.

Amen!!!! Do not conform!!!! Please yourself

Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

My pet peeve? The soccer mom hair style that seems to have overtaken many women between the ages of 30 and 60. Shorter in the back, longer in the front, bob length with a short part, slightly teased at the crown, sometimes buzzed underneath. In general the hair does not move much.
It's sort of a "Modified Kate Gosselin" - her old style - but with no spikes, and less of a flop of hair in front of the face.
There's this Chinese woman in my neighborhood who's over 60 and that hairstyle looks good on her. The length in front keeps it feminine, and the shape of it keeps it modern. Her hair is black - probably dyed, but could also be good genes. And she wears stylish glasses frames.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Most women in the media are very pretty, no matter what style they have. Most ordinary women are not.
Who? I have seen plenty of plump plain Jane's, younger & older, on the tele, despite having had hair/makeup professionally applied & oft times, fitted clothing provided. Unless I've missed something & fitness models & snazzy female impersonators are now news commentating, in which case, let me know & I'll dash out pronto to purchase cable.

And... "most ordinary women are not" pretty? What? Where do you live where you are surrounded by outcasts from a Fellini film? Either you're extraordinarily picky or extraordinarily dismissive & don't appreciate the beauty in another individual who doesn't pass your approval test. I see gorgeous men & women pass me daily, no matter where I've lived... maybe you need to free youself from your back yard & take a walk once in awhile to explore what's around the block.

Quote:
Most ordinary women do not get facelifts. Women get old, sagging skin, wrinkles, put on weight in places they never had before.
Dear goodness, not all women become lumpy, drooping sacks of potatoes with age or need/want facelifts & other surgeries. My mum is 80... most think she's in her early 60's. She has some facial sagging & laugh lines around her eyes... no wrinkles. She always took care of her skin. She regularly works out so weighs the same as before she had her seven children, which disproves another theory that all women become & remain bloated balloons after childbirth. I'm sure it would surprise you to know that she has many similar friends who've taken care of themselves & it shows.

Anyone can look better, regardless of age, if they choose. I've never seen so many out of shape teens & 20-yr old children, boys & girls as I do today. Looking frumpy or dumpy has nothing to do with age. Most has to do with diet, exercise & attitude. People today know that what we feed ourselves & how much we move makes a hugh difference in how we look & feel.

Interesting that you're only mentioning all this in regard to women. Men age, too, my dear. And, I wouldn't venture to say most look awful... I see a bit of everything in my daily travels, but do like to notice the finer qualities in others.

Quote:
Once we humans reach our prime we are physically going downhill.
I'm deeply worried about you ... are you staring into a full-length mirror in a state of fright, afraid to leave your humble abode? Who decides which age is "prime"? For myself, I define that as happiness, meaning that regardless of my numerical age, I'm now in my prime! I don't feel my life is one dark slippery slope into decrepitness, dispair & a crumbling visage akin to the cript keeper. I actually love the way I look & feel & always have... I also laugh alot, which I imagine would send you into a frightened tizzy.

Quote:
The thing is, to attempt to look attractive without appearing to try too hard - that means 'age appropriate'. Many of us can recall the woman in the 1960's who was wearing knee high boots and a minny skirt while she was in her 40's. That is a jarring look.
Age appropriateness is advice which can be taken by many, including teens dressed like they have jobs in cocktail lounges. Body-type appropriate is more helpful advice, but mainly for comfort's sake... if you're not falling/bulging out of a garment, swimming in it or having to tug it out of places which cause discomfort, you're dressed appropriately. We all know if we're being "inappropriate", such as wearing a tube top to church or Tammy Faye Baker makeup to the office. Some choose to do it anyway, to stand out. Most of the places I've worked have had 1 lad with trousers so tight you'd think he's doing a Freddie Mercury impression & the 1 girl dressed as if she's in a night club, complete with a cloud of perfume which follows her sashay. They know full well what they're doing & don't care if you like it or not... such is life.

Again, perhaps the 1 40-yr old woman you saw in a mini & boots looked awkward in her gear. You must be very, very young if you don't know that many women & men in their 40s look sensational today. Or, you see a lot of 40-yr olds, not knowing their age because they look great. My 40-yr old sister is often mistaken for a teenager. When she's with her son, they think she's the babysitter. That's not uncommon... we don't know the ages of those who casually pass us by.

In your catch-phrase-central life, what does "trying to hard" mean? If I'm going to a formal function, I love spending 1-2 hours doing hair, makeup & getting dressed to the nines. I, as well as many other women, enjoy the whole process of dolling it up to go out. Am I trying too hard because I'm utilizing that time on my appearance?

Quote:
Age doesn't make one wise. One is or isn't at any stage of life. I've met very wise children & adults without a bit of common sense.

Panic is a fruitless, silly choice of state of being, unless one is being chased by villagers with lighted torches... in which case, use that panic to advantage & bloody well run.

I'd honestly suggest that you & others who posted so harshly here open your sphere of thought & genuinely look around at what is in your world sans judgement. It's not as ugly as you seem to have decided. For those individuals who do look older in your view, remember they are human beings with feelings, thoughts, valuable ideas & worth. A few gray hairs, ill fitting clothes or sagging jaw line does not render an individual useless & deserving of less respect or kindness.

Be well...

Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
It's a complete falsehood that to believe that "most women in the media are very pretty" Some are not pretty or even attractive! What you see at the movies, on television and in print media is the result of the efforts of a small army of very talented people who work tirelessly to improve this woman's physical appearance.

With the exception of character actresses, most keep them selves slender and fit, and wear their hair longer than the average American woman does.This helps.

People in print have been airbrushed, slenderized, and photo shopped.

When I lived in NYC and LA I had occasion to meet and see many celebrities. They look quite different in real life.

Also, you know those anorexic, uber tall fashion models that seem to give many a teenage girl inferiority complexes? In a certain part of NYC they are ubiquitous and easy to spot. Striding by with huge black portfolios and vacant eyes (could it be hunger?) these gargantuan woman have some extremely strong features, hands and feet that are beyond huge, and frequently, bad skin and damaged hair. The only reason why people might look is that most of them look so strange!

I guess they are kind of like "Coat Hangers with Faces"

If you don't believe me, hire a photographer to take a portfolio of YOURSELF! Get a referral for a hair and make up person and permit them to retouch the photos. You will be surprised by the results, and will have fun while doing it!

Quote:

Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 AM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I'm 50. I don't believe that every woman has to cut her hair into the short "mom" cut just because she's over 40. That can be just as aging as too-long hair. Mid length, or slightly longer and beautifully colored and cut in a trendy style is fine.

That being said, I think a lot of women in my age bracket are kidding themselves that having really long hair makes them look younger. It doesn't. It's actually kind of an emphasizer of age, in my opinion. As another poster said, the age of the face is in contrast to the hair. It can even look a little "spooky". And if you're in the working world, super long hair just doesn't look professional.

Just yesterday I saw a lady at least 50 or older with dyed dark hair down to her waist, parted in the middle, with those "wings" from the early 1970's on each side. I am sure she thinks by keeping her hair the same as it was when we were in junior high school means she hasn't aged. I'm sure her husband just "loves" it. I think women who cling to their long-ago teenaged hair style look outdated and sad. It's kind of like the women who dress like their teenaged daughters. Leave the "tight and sexy" look to the young ones. Our time for that, sigh, has passed. After 45 you need to aim for classic, polished, and classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care