Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
While I think it's true that *most* Americans could afford to spend a bit more time making themselves presentable, there are a number of factors involved that don't necessarily have anything to do with being lazy or naturally unstylish.

Many people are living on the edge financially (whether they advertise that fact or not) and simply cannot afford to spend money on pricey clothes or haircuts from fancy salons or makeup.

Other people might have vastly different priorities than yourself, in that they would prefer to spend time on hobbies, family, or volunteer engagements than on what they may perceive as a useless, vain endeavor.

Many people struggle with depression and anxiety problems, or issues with low self-esteem that hamper them. When simply getting through daily life without pain is a struggle, getting gussied up is simply not on their radar.

For most others, I suspect there is that most precious of commoditites- *time*- that Americans are sorely lacking for in our modern lives. We work *many* more hours than any other industrialized nation- yes, including Japan, and that means there is less time to spend on other pursuits. We're spread thin, and being pulled in a number of directions at once, and something has to give. For a lot of people, what *gives* is devoting time to primp oneself, or spend time gazing into mirrors. I have heard the comparisons to European women over and over again (and am in the process of gaining citizenship to an EU nation myself in order to improve my quality of life), and quite frankly, I think it's a bit unfair. They work quite a bit less than us on average, and therefore have significantly more time to devote to other things- among them, thinking about their personal style.

I say this as one who always tries to pull herself together before leaving the house, and have my mother's old fashioned views regarding "appropriate attire" and for myself I see time invested in looking presentable as a symbol of self-respect and respect for others. But I don't judge others with less time, fewer resources, or different priorities than myself.
Ah yes! The *time* factor! I know this has nothing to do with hair, but one of the reasons I just got permanent eyeliner was because the older I get and the less I can see up close, the longer it was taking me to put on eyeliner! It was the most time consuming part of getting ready to leave the house. I was always afraid to do it before because I thought it would hurt, or the technician would slip and get me in the eye with the needle. The time it was taking me to put this silly stuff on just got to be ridiculous so I bit the bullet and got tattooed. I wish I had done this years ago! I highly recommend it, but find someone who you feel you can trust and who knows what they are doing. Get recommendations from people who've had it done and who's eyeliner looks good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM

62 posts, read 299,783 times
2007 Victoria’s Secret Show: Adriana Lima Without Makeup - The Bastardly

Even supermodels are plain looking before the makeover. I think it's funny when guys see a girl without her makeup and they are soooo surprised she looks different.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,609,845 times
Actually, I don't think Adriana Lima looks bad without makeup, she very cute and kinda sexy even without the makeup.

The same cannot be said for some of the following faces:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link) http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,124,361 times
Sometimes those of us with little ones call it good if we manage to leave the house without a piece of banana stuck to our butt or cheerios in our hair. It's not that we don't always want to look good, it's just that there are only so many hours in a day and sleep is a precious commodity when you have a infant/toddler.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM

62 posts, read 299,783 times
Some of those women have a little bit of makeup on like Jennifer Garner, Britney Spears, and Liv Tyler.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,374,452 times
It's amazing how different they look before and after getting "glossed up" !!!

And the picture of Christina Ricci? I wish someone would take pictures of me, It's amazing how drastic a preference is on hair styles and what not... and what looks better. If something is so obvious to me, I'm wondering what would be obvious to other people if they saw me.

Example: my skin tone looks amazing with darker hair... but I'm constantly highlighting it and lightening it, because I just don't feel like "me" without long light hair.

A lot of the pictures above however.. they don't look "horrible" without the makeup and styling.. they just look more regular. Jennifer Garner and J-lo for example, they may not be glamorous, but you wouldn't ever hear me saying they weren't just as pretty before all the stage makeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1
Sometimes those of us with little ones call it good if we manage to leave the house without a piece of banana stuck to our butt or cheerios in our hair.
...this had me laughing till there was tears in my eye. It reminded me a few days ago, my mom apologized for riding in the passenger seat of my truck. "I'm fairly sure there was a milk dud stuck to my butt, I got some of it on your seat...." (we split a box of milk duds at the movies earlier.. so THAT'S where the missing one went! lol

I told her it didn't matter... chocolate comes off easy. She's like, "oh yeah? well YOU try walking around the mall with a milk dud stuck to your butt next time!"
lololol... love you mom!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
I have a bunch of parrots and sometimes in my haste to leave the house I forget to check myself in the mirror before I leave. That's always the time when I have a big bird crap somewhere on my back, which is always attractive!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:00 AM

781 posts, read 3,817,435 times
It is funny but "looks" are so subjective. I may think someone looks great and natural and another would think that same person was plain. I am comfortable in my own skin and I think that is the most important thing. I do not cater to fashion or the newest hairstyle. At my age, if I have not found what works for me I am in deep doo doo. With that being said.....what works for me may not work for someone else.

I can remember when I was much younger I had a job that required me to be perfectly attired and made up. I was in an extremely competitve field and there were high expectations on outward appearance. I cherished the times I did not have to put on a face and look the part. Maybe that is why I am now so comfortable with myself.

As the OP asked: "how and why did the women allow themselves to be so unfashionable before their makeover?" Who says that they were unfashionable?.....it is very subjective.

Last edited by martinez4; 12-06-2007 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 AM

893 posts, read 792,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I always enjoy the before and after makeovers I see on TV and in fashion magazines. But I have a question: how and why did the women allow themselves to be so unfashionable before their makeover? Is it a problem with the training of our Hairstylists? (who do not recommend updates) Are people so out of touch with how they look to others? Do we see ourselves as we looked 20 years ago? What is it?

Regardless, many American men and women need a serious beauty makeover.
What I have noticed moving around that women where I lived before take better care of their looks than where I am now. A person who cut my hair up here said oh good you don't want a long layered cut(weird comment since my hair is short) but what she was saying is everyone around here is still stuck in high school.. They also don't dye their hair or use much make up. When my family visited they asked why the Women looked like men. I didn't have an answer for that.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:22 AM

893 posts, read 792,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I think that some women, including myself, would love a hair makeover but trying to find a good hairstylist in Central Texas is very tough.
Maybe I'm too picky but it seems they don't know anymore than I do about cutting hair.
That is true with almost 9 0f 10 hair dressers. If they learn to cut hair where they teach to cut by the angle of how the hair grows off the head they can cut a style that you hardly have to use a brush on when drying. My guy is a barber and went to Europe to learn from Sasson. The only one who has ever cut my hair right. Never allow anyone to use thinning or blending scissors on your hair, if they have to use these they don't know how to cut hair. The majority of people who go to school for hair aren't capable of learning this method. You have to understand geometry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care