Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:13 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,969 times

Advertisements

I always enjoy the before and after makeovers I see on TV and in fashion magazines. But I have a question: how and why did the women allow themselves to be so unfashionable before their makeover? Is it a problem with the training of our Hairstylists? (who do not recommend updates) Are people so out of touch with how they look to others? Do we see ourselves as we looked 20 years ago? What is it?

Regardless, many American men and women need a serious beauty makeover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 AM

208 posts, read 416,449 times
Watching one of the makeover shows, I heard a stylist say it best, "Your hair is an accessory not a permanent fixture."

But many women don't view it that way, sadly. Their look grows dated and their style takes a hit, sometimes several hits. Some get complacent, some are scared to try new things, some hide behind their hair and some women use it as a crutch. I'm sure you've seen the women on various shows who have a poor self image. They feel they're too fat, too short, too this, too that. You can entice them out of their old clothes but take a few inches off their hair and it's as though you just stamped reject on their foreheads.

I've never seen a haircut you couldn't grow out.

I also think some women believe their options will be taken from them or they won't have time to maintain some snazzy hair style. But the key is to get a hair cut that suits your lifestyle and imparts a sense of style thereby boosting your self image.

Your haircut can make you look younger, thinner, sexier or more sophisticated. It can also help you feel that way.

Hope that answers your question.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,738,807 times
My man doesn't need a makeover! I might , but I like him just the way he is, jeans, flannels, and shaves when he wants to. I just don't dig metrosexuals, IMHO.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,438,261 times
It's weird.......some people just "let themselves go", and never had anything to let go off in the first place.
Some people were never raised that way, to make themselves up, style etc.
Others used to look good, kept themselves up....got into a situation like illness, marriage, children...etc., they just stopped caring on WHAT they looked like.
Others know that they HAVE potential to look better, but have settled into a plain, basic lifestyle of very much "subdued", and are to afraid of testing the waters, making a change.
Yes.....I agree....some people COULD look so much better.....but I think they need to be shown HOW!
I you are comfortable on the outside...you will feel brilliant on the inside!
I wouldn't really say that humans are very vain....but we sure are very visual!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 AM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
I'd be willing to bet that many women have higher priorities which trump looking glamorous, fussing with hair and makeup, folloiwng the latest fashions, etc.

And, in those makeovers, the "before" pictures always show mussed hair and a frown. Doubtful that the women really look like that on a day-to-day basis. It's done just to make the "after" picture seem more dramatic, therefore manipulating the audience.

I try not to judge someone on their haircut or their clothing. Because I sure as hell don't want anyone to judge me that way.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,388,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that many women have higher priorities which trump looking glamorous, fussing with hair and makeup, folloiwng the latest fashions, etc.

And, in those makeovers, the "before" pictures always show mussed hair and a frown. Doubtful that the women really look like that on a day-to-day basis. It's done just to make the "after" picture seem more dramatic, therefore manipulating the audience.

I try not to judge someone on their haircut or their clothing. Because I sure as hell don't want anyone to judge me that way.
So true. For the magazine shoots, they are basically told to come in for the before picture without doing their hair or makeup.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 PM

27,365 posts, read 27,414,874 times
I dont think its a matter of 'allowing to be plain looking' in some cases. There are women who work in fields where fancy hairstyles or hours spend on 'glorifying' the hair isnt an option. I wouldnt worry so much about mine in construction. Its just gonna get messed up anyway, so a simple pony-tail worked just fine.
And keep in mind there are a lot of 'fashion freaks' who think that taking long beautiful hair and chopping it all the way up to the shoulders is an improvement? Maybe for some, but not for me. I dont care what fashion says, I like my long hair and you can do a heck of a lot more than you could with shorter hair.
Personal choice.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,058,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I totally agree. I just got my hair layered and was looking through several hair mags a week prior to having it layered and I thought the same thing - "that's not really what these ladies look like in real life!" Notice that to go along with the unkempt hair, they aren't wearing any makeup either. You just know these women don't sport that as their everyday look!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:48 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,353,229 times
I think that some women, including myself, would love a hair makeover but trying to find a good hairstylist in Central Texas is very tough.
Maybe I'm too picky but it seems they don't know anymore than I do about cutting hair.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,622 times
While I think it's true that *most* Americans could afford to spend a bit more time making themselves presentable, there are a number of factors involved that don't necessarily have anything to do with being lazy or naturally unstylish.

Many people are living on the edge financially (whether they advertise that fact or not) and simply cannot afford to spend money on pricey clothes or haircuts from fancy salons or makeup.

Other people might have vastly different priorities than yourself, in that they would prefer to spend time on hobbies, family, or volunteer engagements than on what they may perceive as a useless, vain endeavor.

Many people struggle with depression and anxiety problems, or issues with low self-esteem that hamper them. When simply getting through daily life without pain is a struggle, getting gussied up is simply not on their radar.

For most others, I suspect there is that most precious of commoditites- *time*- that Americans are sorely lacking for in our modern lives. We work *many* more hours than any other industrialized nation- yes, including Japan, and that means there is less time to spend on other pursuits. We're spread thin, and being pulled in a number of directions at once, and something has to give. For a lot of people, what *gives* is devoting time to primp oneself, or spend time gazing into mirrors. I have heard the comparisons to European women over and over again (and am in the process of gaining citizenship to an EU nation myself in order to improve my quality of life), and quite frankly, I think it's a bit unfair. They work quite a bit less than us on average, and therefore have significantly more time to devote to other things- among them, thinking about their personal style.

I say this as one who always tries to pull herself together before leaving the house, and have my mother's old fashioned views regarding "appropriate attire" and for myself I see time invested in looking presentable as a symbol of self-respect and respect for others. But I don't judge others with less time, fewer resources, or different priorities than myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care