Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 04:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,061 times

Advertisements

Any one here do mini color touch ups to cover grey hair? Only a week after coloring my hair, the grey hairs around my hairline are visible. Thinking of mixing a tiny amount of dye with equal part developer and applying with a toothbrush....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times
Maybe using a color stick would be more convenient.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Any one here do mini color touch ups to cover grey hair? Only a week after coloring my hair, the grey hairs around my hairline are visible. Thinking of mixing a tiny amount of dye with equal part developer and applying with a toothbrush....
If they are visible after a week, make sure those hairs are completely covered in the original application. Sometimes, in an attempt to remove excess color from the skin, the color gets wiped away from those hairs around the edges.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:49 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
I'm considering trying that - my gray around my temples and front are very resistant to begin with, and show the most - I will be interested in what you do and the results you get.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Maybe using a color stick would be more convenient.

Do they still make those? My mother-in-law used Roux dark brown sticks. Will check Sally Beauty supply sometime.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:05 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Well, I decided to do JUST THAT, and for me it worked out great - it was quick and easy, and covered the most visible parts of my gray. I am going to do the full roots application today, and the side benefit will be that there will be double coverage now on the most visible parts of my roots.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM

15,948 posts, read 7,012,752 times
I have thin hair and i wear it short so i can get 3 application from one bottle. I only do the roots and still have enough excess to do the whole length. I mix it in a separate bowl in equal amount and blend it with hair color brush and apply with the brush. I don't use permanant color, and get one with no ammonia.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,360 times
Quote:
Do they still make those? My mother-in-law used Roux dark brown sticks. Will check Sally Beauty supply sometime.
I have used the Roux stick also. Only on the narrowest margin of roots though because on my hair it feels tacky if I try to use it on what is approaching a strip of roots. I thought drugstore.com had it but either I was wrong or they no longer carry it. So, as you said, Sally is it. And where I live, Sally seems to be in the worst plaza locations.

For actual root coloring I use the Revlon product which I think is Root Erase. For the last few minutes I run it through the length of my hair and get what looks like subtle highlights. Of the root color kits it is by far my favorite.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
I was going to start a thread about grey hair too.

I'm only in my late 30s but I have them...all along my hairline, which is the worst place since it's right in the front for all to see. I've been dying it, usually myself with the drugstore brand, but every once in a while, I'll go to my salon.

My skin is sensitive, so the sye irritates my skin at my hairline & makes is scab, so it looks like horrible dandruff.

My other problem is what y our thread's about. My hair grow3s so fast, that the grey starts whoing up fast!

I can't keep dying it too often or it will irritate my skin. The Rita Hazan Temporary Root Touch-Up spray is good. Google it to find the cheapest price. Colormark is also good when you want to get more precise with small/fine hairs.

What I HATE is the wiry texture that grey hair takes on! If you have short hair around the hairline, it sticks up, rather than lays down smoothly!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:38 AM

43,630 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Yes with a product called Cover Gray which looks like a lipstick but in shades that suit one's hair color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care