Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:58 PM

10 posts, read 59,565 times

Advertisements

I would like to find a mini-hairdresser course that teaches people how do style their own hair...not cutting, not perms, and not highlighting, as I would always go to a salon for that...or, if there was a hairdresser school or course whereby one could critique the course and they could pick up ideas. To me, that would be money well-spent.

I do not know how to style, on a day-to-day basis, my own hair, sorry to say! I would love to wake up in the morning and comb my hair and it actually look decent...it's very fine and limp. My perms only last approximately 2 months, then the crown area is totally flat. I also highlight to help blend in gray.

Thanks for all the help.

windsong

Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 AM

45 posts, read 221,036 times
Windsong, nice name
what town and State are you near?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Default wavy hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singa View Post
The hair business has wanted to become more interested in making money, then have you look better . They'll serve you wine,, and make it an event, and not take time to answer your questions or teach you things without charging a lot of money. They have to pay their high overhead (location). I don't. I don't work for Salon's anymore, I work for the people. I don't make money off of this.
I am going to try to give my time to help people that have questions and might not have the money to go in just to buy what they want you to buy.
This is a new idea, so be patient. On line hair answers by a real active hair stylist . Trained in competitive Calif. Attended College as a Business Major. the Beauty of both worlds. I've lowered my expenses so you don't have to worry.
Have a Great Care Free day.
Okay, I'll play...My hair is naturally wavy and thick...Every single time before the stylist gets started, I say, I have wavy hair, I want a haircut that will look good but does not demand that in order to look good, that I spend 1 1/2 hours to do it. EVERY single time I get a haircut the hair stylist styles it to be straight. With their professional hands, it takes AT LEAST an hour to get it dry and that straight, and it looks awesome when I leave. I get home and the next morning, I shower, I dry it a little so head won't be cold, but I CANNOT get it straight so I have this hair that is totally out of control with waves. It looks horrible...Why don't they work w/what I have and get me a haircut that does not REQUIRE me to have it straight in order for it to look good?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 AM

You Just won !! .
Sounds like you are angre at the business, , I don't blame you. Many of us go to similar schools, but we work so differently. Just like painters.
You have stated one of the most common complaint that people say. "My hair Stylist doesn't listen".. "My" , should change to "ex-".
Ooops, my mistake, you said "the stylist". Sounds like your head is on the "chopping clock" every time you go to a new one.
One helpful thing is to shop for a stylist, like you do a resturant. 2. Interview the hair stylist before any appointment. "Yes, interview" . You can tell when your getting yankt around.
The good hair stylist will even give you a walk around the Salon. Your visit can take 15 minutes with interview. Make the interview with the Stylist you want not the one they give you. 'Ever wonder why they aren't busy.
I commmend you for being willing to take 1 1/2 hours to do your hair. I try to get my clients down to 15 min.s max.
I might know a lot of hair stylist, but I don't know who your talking about at where you are. kidding.
Another thing, everbodys opinion of what looks good is.... different. Figure that they won't think like you.
Maybe you can wear a beautful style that doesn't require a lot of work to style. You came with wavy hair, there are some wonderful styles for your hair. It's just finding it. And a stylist that will listen... Have you only been going to one type of stylist licenc. There are two boards to check out. Cosmetologist and Barber stylist. Keep trying. Sorry about your disatisfaction. TFTQ. and thanks for playing .

Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singa View Post
Being, I was off today,, please excuse me for answering so quik.
Taking what you've described . I have some questions.
1 Is your hair currently like a Bob cut?
2 Describe to me your definition of rat tails in the back.
Statements.
Your hair grows the same speed,, it's that it curls around and around before it gets "longer" toward the floor.
A beauty trick,,, only comb or pic the hair when it has moisture with a frizz fighter, and leave it to dry, so everyone can admire it.
What does your hair-stylist say about the frizz remedy?
My hair has a few long layers not a bob cut.
When I ask for layers, I end up with layers on top and long rat tails in the back. I only comb my hair once a day when it is wet. I don't have a particular frizz remedy.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 AM

I live in the Greater Kansas City Area which includes Missouri and Kansas.

Thanks again.

windsong

Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
My hair has a few long layers not a bob cut.
When I ask for layers, I end up with layers on top and long rat tails in the back. I only comb my hair once a day when it is wet. I don't have a particular frizz remedy.
Sounds like they are not layering it in right. Layering is like painting, there are many ways to layer. Sounds like they've layered the bottom to much, and to much in the middle.
There are some remedies for frizz out there. some have a silicone base .. and wheren't out there maybe 10 years, ago. Ask you local beauty supply or call them. If you want more info on the hair design, can you pm me and I could address your situation and then you could help the hair cutter (who ever) do a better job. TFTQ

Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsong View Post
I live in the Greater Kansas City Area which includes Missouri and Kansas.

Thanks again.

windsong
You can try the Kansas Cosmetology board at (785) 296-3155 to locate what your looking for,.
try www.Kansas.gov/Kboc/SchoolListing.htm (broken link) There are many schools.
Having said that, the problem ,I feel, is not that you need to go to school,, you need to have a hair stylist that will show you. All my clients are taught how they can do their simple styles. I also try to cut in such a way as to make it that even if they don't do it, it will look o.k.
Yes, I tweak their styles, but I get them where their happy, or die trying.
Your stylist can train you. There are stylist that will.
TFTQ

Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Singa,

I certainly wish you lived in the Greater Kansas City area. Wish there were more like you. Thanks for the site. I will check it out, and I'll try to find a stylist who wouldn't mind helping me with my hair.

Much appreciated.

windsong

Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Okay, I'll play...My hair is naturally wavy and thick...Every single time before the stylist gets started, I say, I have wavy hair, I want a haircut that will look good but does not demand that in order to look good, that I spend 1 1/2 hours to do it. EVERY single time I get a haircut the hair stylist styles it to be straight. With their professional hands, it takes AT LEAST an hour to get it dry and that straight, and it looks awesome when I leave. I get home and the next morning, I shower, I dry it a little so head won't be cold, but I CANNOT get it straight so I have this hair that is totally out of control with waves. It looks horrible...Why don't they work w/what I have and get me a haircut that does not REQUIRE me to have it straight in order for it to look good?
Have you tried Tricocci Salons? I used to live in KCMO metro area and that is where I got my best haircuts.

You all got snow today!!!!!! I miss the Plaza in the snow!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care