Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times

Advertisements

My originally dark brunette hair is silvery-white (think Emmylou), and has been headed that way since I was 15. I kept it blonde for many years, but quit coloring it in my late 40s. Now, at 55, I constantly get compliments on it from both women and men. I keep it in a choppy pixie shag, and I think it looks great with my complexion and bright blue eyes. And I'm not wrinkly at all lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 04:08 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Sorry to hear about your basal cell and hope that everything goes well with a speedy recovery. I think that silver hair can be very attractive, and know several women who have the silver fox look

I am thinking of letting my own hair go natural now, but have it dyed a very dark brown (actually almost black). It's been about 80% silver since I was in my early 30's and at age 45...well, I don't see much at all of its natural light reddish brown left at all! I guess I will have to get the color stripped since it is almost 22" long now.

Good luck with the transition and I am sure it will look great!

Old 11-04-2015, 04:58 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I have been coloring my grey for many years- my natural color was the darkest brown./black that a Caucasian could have.... I mostly color it at home and it's a very dark to medium brown at this point. I have never had "nice" hair- kind of curlykinkyfrizzy. My family has been suggesting I let it go gray and recently I met with friends from years ago and there were a few who were rocking the undyed look- and they looked terrific. I was suprrised because previously, I had noted that the women who I thought looked great with the white hair all seemed to be fairer complexion and blue eyes. Well recently I have seen it look great on women who have brown eyes and darker complexions as well.
Got me considering it but who knows what kind of gray I really have.
Not sure I love the look of gray roots coming in so I guess I would have to have it stripped? What is involved with that?

Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I am going to wait until well after the surgery before I decide if I will lift any color or do anything to my hair to "help it along." I hate the idea of using any more chemicals and risking more damage to my hair/scalp, but I may have to do it at least once to make the transition bearable.

Now that my roots are extremely visible (about 1/2" or so) I can see it is overall MUCH more silver than it was the last time I grew it out. Wish I could just wave a magic wand and have it all grown out!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:14 AM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times
This one may inspire you. Bookmark it and try again if it gives you an error window like it just gave me. It's worth seeing for anyone considering going natural. There are a few parts to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PMsGe7KRIo

Old 11-04-2015, 10:29 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
This one may inspire you. Bookmark it and try again if it gives you an error window like it just gave me. It's worth seeing for anyone considering going natural. There are a few parts to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PMsGe7KRIo
Great video. Very inspiring.

Unfortunately, though, at 62, I am less than 10% white (no gray) and the white is almost entirely along the front of my hairline -- so I have no idea what to do, but I am tired of coloring it, and it isn't even all that flattering any more.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:18 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Great video. Very inspiring.

Unfortunately, though, at 62, I am less than 10% white (no gray) and the white is almost entirely along the front of my hairline -- so I have no idea what to do, but I am tired of coloring it, and it isn't even all that flattering any more.
Same here, except I have only a very FEW stray silvery hairs, also around the hairline, not enough for anyone to even notice. Hard to imagine being bummed about that!

I'm thinking that if you have an easy color to match you can use either a touch-up dye to cover the silver hairs, if you prefer not showing what you have. My hair color is impossible to match, so I either have to snip off the silver ones or let 'em show.

I have the personality to let 'em show but it seems agonizing to wait for a full head of silver for what could be many years.

I think the idea of highlights/lowlights could be worthwhile.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:47 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
THIS is a goal.....soz not sure how to resize...but LOOK AT HER! What a gorgeous glamorous woman!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
THIS is a goal.....soz not sure how to resize...but LOOK AT HER! What a gorgeous glamorous woman!
I know, right? And I LOVE how she is "rocking the red" - red is about my favorite color and I always get compliments, and am sure it will look as good on me, if not better once it's grown out silver! Absolutely NO reason why older women with silver hair still can't be sexy and glam!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
My aunt colored her hair dark for years, then lost it to chemo in her 40s. She had started going grey in her early 20s. She didn't color her hair after it grew back, and it was the most magnificient silver. I say embrace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care