Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 29,892 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I currently have a bob similar to this one https://www.pinterest.com/pin/568227677971069328/
I like it, but I'd like to go shorter- I don't spend a lot of time on my hair which is why I'm hesitant to get a really short bob though. I like the idea of not having hair on my neck but I cannot do a high maintenance style.

Any word of advice for a low maintenance short bob? I'd like the back to be pretty short, the front can be jaw length. Can you have a short bob in the back without having to shave the nape? I am guessing if I shave it, that means super frequent haircuts which I have no time for.

Any ideas are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,778 times
Pinterest has great ideas.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Agreed about pinterest, but I'm curious to hear from someone who's actually tried those types of bobs because I'm worried about it being too high- maintenance.
Otherwise I like the look of these two

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/156007574569687937/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/568227677971748908/

Old 03-09-2017, 02:02 PM

711 posts, read 688,060 times
My hair doesn't really lend itself to bobs but I have worn a cut that required the nape to be shaved.

If you have someone in your life (friend, partner, etc) who you'll trust with a shaver, you can get one and have them clean up your neck periodically. My DH used to do mine and I've always done his. A good hair trimmer shaver isn't that expensive. I think ours is a Wahl.

Barring that, yes it can be a high maint issue. Particularly if you have a nape that grows oddly (mine is much longer on one side than the other).

Old 03-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, Next Stage.
What kind of style did you have?

Old 03-18-2017, 04:56 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,511 times
I have a short bob that is cut high in back and angled to chin length. I go for cut every 4 weeks. Stylist does shave my nape of neck but haircut is still passable by time next cut comes around. It's easy for me. I blow dry from top down to encourage smoothness and then use flat iron to smooth down sections and lightly tuck under ends. I am never going back to long hair!

Old 03-18-2017, 09:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_1 View Post
Hey guys,

I currently have a bob similar to this one https://www.pinterest.com/pin/568227677971069328/
I like it, but I'd like to go shorter- I don't spend a lot of time on my hair which is why I'm hesitant to get a really short bob though. I like the idea of not having hair on my neck but I cannot do a high maintenance style.

Any word of advice for a low maintenance short bob? I'd like the back to be pretty short, the front can be jaw length. Can you have a short bob in the back without having to shave the nape? I am guessing if I shave it, that means super frequent haircuts which I have no time for.

Depends on your hair texture, how fast it grows, etc.

I've tried doing a more stacked back, angling down to chin length in front, and while it looks cute when freshly cut, for me, it's too high maintenance. I need to get it trimmed every two weeks to maintain the shape, and because I have a natural wave that really starts at my nape, it creates a stubborn flip or cowlick. If I can't commit to very regular styling and upkeep, it's just not a low-maintenance style for me.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Any short, precise cut is going to require frequent hair cuts. The trade off may be in the daily maintenance and ease (depends on the exact style and your type of hair).

Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

Unless you are going above where the hair grows from your head, then there is no need for the shaved look. Shaved napes and shelves are outdated - I had that in the late 80's. Just find a picture of a short bob where the back isn't doing anything weird and show it to the hairdresser. I have a short bob with the hair longer in the front and the back looks normal. I go months between haircuts.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

It's very cute, but it depends on your hair's texture.

For me, that would be high maintenance because I would have to blow dry it with a round brush and probably flat iron too every single day, because my hair has weird waves and cowlicks, which are very stubborn.

If you have naturally straight, or even "limp" hair, it will be very easy to do, but if not you will have to style it every day. It's not a wash and go style unless you have the right hair for it, so it depends what you consider high maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care