Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
I think it is really great when women learn to color and highlight their own hair. For some women, it feels good to get pampered at a salon, but other than a good cut and occasional pedicure, I tend to feel that I am wasting time and money at the salon.
When my hair was naturally dark brown( I now cover grey w/ Natural Match Soft Dark Golden Brown) I did try a coffee rinse, which gave a really nice depth and shine. It only lasts one shampoo though.The new glazes for different hair colors are great, if a little expensive. I recently let my hairdresser talk me into Aveda clove conditioner, and it adds a nice cinnamon tone to my hair. I color my own hair and add subtle highlights, which I described in detail on the post"Do you hide the fact that you color your hair?".
Thank you, GoldenGrain for sharing your techniques, I am sure many women will give your methods a try this summer, and save some money.
Can you please explain glazes? Do they rinse out? Do they only add highlights? Must you choose a color near your own?
Thank you. I will look for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 03:41 PM

36 posts, read 184,084 times
Glazes are deposit-only colors. They do not "lift" color. There is a limit to how much thye can alter your hair's color, depending on the base color of your hair. If you have light hair, they do not rinse out with time as much (or rather they do, but there is enough pigment left to still make a difference on light hair).

To an earlier post: No, coffee and tea solutions would not be a good choice as a self-tanner. It would be almost impossible to get the color even, and to get the color to stay for any length of time.

For "natural" hair rinses, consider using hennas, including red/browns followed by an indigo rinse. But I would not recommend this for most people, and the maintenance is quite high, as with any whole-head dye job. You will have roots.

Best beauty tip for hair: RINSE it (your final rinse) each day in ICE COLD water. The shine will be unreal. But it does wake you up a bit!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,633 times
Sorry it took so long for me to respond,goldengrain, its been crazy.The last post explained how glazes work better than I could. What I know from personal experience is that they enrich your hair color, and coat the shaft of the hair to make it shinier. For myself as a renovated brown haired person ,I have used both brown and red tones to give dimension. I don't get highlights from them, I have to use peroxide based haircolor to do that, but it may work for a light hair colors.
I think the important thing to remember is that any of these products will prevent your hair from taking the actual hair dye as it should. In other words, I glaze several weeks before I apply all over color. I also do not use hair mousse,sprays,etc. right before I dye my hair so it will take the color.That is hard! I need products for my hair to look right.
By the way Brush Fyre brought up coffee being used as a self tanner. I meant as a hair rinse. Did someone try to tan with coffee? But that was back when I was au naturel , many moons ago. I got my first silver hair at age 23. I used LovingCare by 28. I should buy stock in Loreal.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Thank you for the cold water rinse tip, as well as the other information.

I suppose, since grey hair is so hard to color, that a person could not get a subtle beige tint to it?

Also, I have done my hair with and without mousse and spray on it and have noticed no difference. I suppose it might dilute it a bit, but I couldn't notice. When I had it done in the salon I don't think that they pre-washed and then totally dried before bleaching.

I have never had a large buildup of these things on my hair, it's just that it is fine and needs some body.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 PM

I have read in magazines that this is a good idea, so I try to leave my hair product free before coloring. I do however condition my ends right before coloring so my ends will not take too much color because they are dry.I do keep my hair rather long, sort of like Terri Hatcher on DH. If my color is uneven, it is obvious, I think shorter hair may look more even .

Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Wow! I'm really impressed!!! I would never take the chance of doing this to my own hair. I've colored my own hair but when it comes to the peroxide and any highlighting, I leave that to the professionals. Believe me though, if I had enough faith that I wouldn't have all of my hair falling out, I'd do it myself! You go!!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Wow! I'm really impressed!!! I would never take the chance of doing this to my own hair. I've colored my own hair but when it comes to the peroxide and any highlighting, I leave that to the professionals. Believe me though, if I had enough faith that I wouldn't have all of my hair falling out, I'd do it myself! You go!!
If you get the stuff in the bottle all you are doing is paying a whole lot more for what is basically the same stuff.

When you think of it, what are you doing, if you just dye and do not bleach?
You are mixing two bottles together, right?

So, all you are doing, really, is buying the bottles seperately, and mixing twice as much from one bottle(peroxide) as you do from the other (dye).

It gives you better control because you can vary the stength of the peroxide, adjusting it to your hair, and you have a wonderful advantage of choosing from a greater variety of dyes and even purchasing a few bottles and mixing a unique color, just for you.

As was said previously, when your hair is kept short not only will it grow out sooner if you goof, but you don't have the trouble with dry ends which can get too porus and overdone.

I would not mix two different manufacturer's dyes together, either, unless you are sure its ok. The chemicals are different. Like, the stuff they sell for men to comb through their hair that will cover grey or change the color - it is an entirely different chemical than the stuff we are talking about here. I am not sure if you can use henna and then a dye over it, or vice-versa.

Other people know these things, and it's interesting. I think of house paint. You can put oil paint over acrilic or laytex, but never put acrylic or laytex over oil based, from what I've heard.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
If I may make a suggestion, all you need is a tub of an ultra lift bleach by Wella or Clairol and a bottle of either 30 volume or 40 volume peroxide depending on how light or resistant you hair is. The darker your natural color the higher the peroxide but not higher than 40 volume. This will be much less expensive in the long run than replacing all the different bottles you presently use. Also, the problem that happens with always using a cap for highlighting is that you cannot place where the streaks will be and you are always re-bleaching your ends which causes heavy breakage which you can avoid when using foil instead. Your hair will get blonder and blonder also not being able to just touch up the regrowth like you do with foil. Been a hairstylist for over 30 years and have done and tried it all! I foil, cut and color my own hair as well. Foiling hair as a novice is not something I would really recommend as you are bound to get "bleeding" spots when the bleach gets to close to the scalp which is easy to do when you are inexperienced and cannot see as close as a stylist can. Once you have bleeding then you have to re-dye those areas with a color that will match yours but maybe a shade darker. Good to know both sides before you make a decision that you might be sorry about later. Also, brushes that you use to apply color or bleach cost barely anything...don't buy a paint brush!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:19 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,941 times
I have colored my hair for uears and I like to add highlites. I can't afford to get it done. I have tried the caps but don't like them. I have used the comb or whatever it is that comes in the kits. I saved it the last time. THe problem is that the highlites never look defined. I end up looking like I colored my whole head. I really want dark brown with blond highlites. Also I wanterd to try some shade of red. I tried it once and it was a mess. Is it not possible to use red if you have any blond color.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Mimberly, I agree that highlights done at home are not very defined.I do them anyways- freehand, not with a cap ,using a light auburn color over my dark brown. Its better than flat brown hair and looks very natural, but I can't get that definition at home either. My hair is long and fine, so a cap would be a mess. I asked my stylist about dark brown with ash ( not gold) highlights and she thought it would be hard for her to do. She said that many celebrities/models use lighter extensions, which I just saw today at Ulta. They have little clip in pieces in all colors. My daughter wants pink.I may try them for my next date night, whenever that happens.It would also be fun to do dark under light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care