Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 AM

27 posts, read 12,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm going to try to cut mine. The thought of going back and getting butchered and my wants ignored, then overcharged, puts me in a cold sweat. I've been watching YouTube vids, I've got professional shears and I cut the back, about six inches of length and it looks fine. Next I'm doing the sides, but getting my courage up for that and will practice on a wig. Then the bangs last. Point cutting the ends after shaping gives it just enough texture without any razor slices or crazy thinning.

When I found the vids of my desired style the comments were the same as my concerns- no stylists will do it, simple as it is. Their lo$$.
Watching videos might actually work, you can actually do that at home with mine hair. But can you tell me, please, which shears are you going to use?
I'm thinking about doing the same but I don't have any scissors at all. Which one of these should I get? I'm so afraid to screw up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 PM

9 posts, read 38,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCKME View Post
I have thick hair and it has been freaking destroyed from a stylists huge mistake. She took thinning shears or texturizing shears to my head like she was weed whacking and I am SO PISSED. I walked out with about half the hair I walked in with and not from the loss of length which was only 2 inches, mainly from the loss of body and volume after she got hold of those shears. She ruined the thickness of my hair and I didn’t even realize she was doing this because I didn’t ask her to thin it out I just asked her to cut some off the length and layer it. UGH has anyone had this happen to them? How long does it take to grow out? Honestly, probably the worst hair cut I have had and I was in the navy and I used to go to great clips so trust me I have had a lot of bad haircuts. And she just snuck in the shears behind my back and started chopping away without even asking. And that is definitely not what I told her I wanted. Now my hair is thin and limp, I have small peices stick long to every which way because she ruined my natural curls. I can’t even where it up in a pony tail. There is no way I can’t get it back, it’s just gone, in the trash after she swept it up. I just have to sit around and wait till it grows meanwhile looking and feeling like sh*t. Half of my hair, gone. I.am.so.mad. Anyone had this awful experience with stylists using thinning shears? Why are they always trying to use those even when we don’t ask?? It’s be great to hear from some stylists, because apparently it’s really easy to overdo it with those. No one wants super thin hair, really?
This just happened to me without my permission in January. I am soooo pissed. My hair was over 12 inches long. It is down to about 2 inches now and it's still not enough. I've had to keep getting my hair cut at 4 different places over the last 2 months. I'm 51 and my hair grows 2 inches a year. I never in a million years would wish this on someone. How could she do this to someone that trusted her? I am just now in the beginning of trying to get justice. My hair is baby fine now. It was already thin and curly, I just had a lot of it so it looked full and pretty. When she finished with it, I looked like a sick old woman with thinning hair and she left it the same length. I had no choice but to get it cut, over and over. Now it's almost to the point where I need to shave it all and start completely over.. oh yeah. This is war. I'm gonna make sure she loses her license and I need to find other victims in my area that she's done this to, because she was way too calm when she was doing this without me looking, so I would imagine this wasn't her first time.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunangel View Post
This just happened to me without my permission in January. I am soooo pissed. My hair was over 12 inches long. It is down to about 2 inches now and it's still not enough. I've had to keep getting my hair cut at 4 different places over the last 2 months. I'm 51 and my hair grows 2 inches a year. I never in a million years would wish this on someone. How could she do this to someone that trusted her? I am just now in the beginning of trying to get justice. My hair is baby fine now. It was already thin and curly, I just had a lot of it so it looked full and pretty. When she finished with it, I looked like a sick old woman with thinning hair and she left it the same length. I had no choice but to get it cut, over and over. Now it's almost to the point where I need to shave it all and start completely over.. oh yeah. This is war. I'm gonna make sure she loses her license and I need to find other victims in my area that she's done this to, because she was way too calm when she was doing this without me looking, so I would imagine this wasn't her first time.
OP hasnt been back since 2018.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:24 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunangel View Post
This is just terrible. I'm so sorry...I've had unfortunate incidence with thinning shears myself (not to this extent) but all you can really do is wait it out. I guess that's one plus to having to stay home, you can hide out for a bit.

In the meantime though, have you considered looking into some supplements? I know they have hair/skin/nails formulas, collagen, etc.. Things like that.

Hey look at this way, with salons closing, maybe your horrible hairdresser won't be ruining anyone else's life anytime soon.

It'll be alright. Just give it some time.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 4,131 times
Well!! It depends on the hair stylist to stylist.!!
Stick to one, once you are known, stylist is good while cutting your hair.!!

and in normal case, it don't depend on the kind of scissor, the stylist uses but it depends on how stylist is familiar with the shear, he/ she use for cutting.!!

Old 07-02-2020, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,841 times
Default Thankyou for sharing I’ve had the same experience

My hair has been hacked the same way you described
The hairdressers all do it because it’s easy to get a result and quick
I don’t always notice they’re doing it either!
When I get home I realise what’s been done and my heart sinks! More money wasted and I have to avoid mirrors
I’ve had only a few hairdressers expertly use scissors to cut layers without using thinning scissors...it takes much longer and they have to section and clip each part of your hair to cut from underneath all the way to the top
I wish we could find a page where hairdressers like this are listed- they would become rich from people like us!
Thanks again for posting and I’m so sorry you have to be stuck with butchered hair

Old 07-03-2020, 09:59 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoga Teacher View Post
My hair has been hacked the same way you described
The hairdressers all do it because it’s easy to get a result and quick
I don’t always notice they’re doing it either!
When I get home I realise what’s been done and my heart sinks! More money wasted and I have to avoid mirrors
I’ve had only a few hairdressers expertly use scissors to cut layers without using thinning scissors...it takes much longer and they have to section and clip each part of your hair to cut from underneath all the way to the top
I wish we could find a page where hairdressers like this are listed- they would become rich from people like us!
Thanks again for posting and I’m so sorry you have to be stuck with butchered hair

Ita.........IMO a good stylist gives layers with cutting shears only & asks if you want it texturized before picking up those shears. I have even been told by my stylist that texturizing shears are a lot of times used to hide mistakes or a bad cut. I dunno how true that is...BUT it probably does happen more often with inexperienced or cheaper stylists IMO without asking. I like long layers that angle in & frame my face...NO texturizing. It's best IMO to stick with a stylist you know & love.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
This just happened to me with my first haircut in 7 months! It was a new shop that I'd never been to before, in the next county over from me because mine hasn't allowed salons to reopen yet. I can't even say if it's a bad cut or not, and it seems like she was being so precise when she was cutting it, but it's much shorter than I thought because I can't pull it straight like she did when she dried it. The way she used those texturing sheers to make layers just makes it curl all up on me when I wash it and let it dry on it's own. I had no idea my hair was this curly.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,706 times
Same here in a men’s Barbers I asked for a shorter scissor cut on the back . Then was convinced to take a little of the top and sides .
Out came the thinning scissors and my lovely mod cut was butchered

London

Old 10-22-2020, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 38,876 times
Yes, a "hair stylist" here in Lexington SC named Candis Dowie did this to me on purpose. She thinned out my thin curly hair with a thinning razor without me knowing. 75% of my hair is missing. And I don't mean from the length. I have lots of thin curly/wavy hair which looked like a lions mane, but, I worked very hard to make it look full and pretty. I have since had to get 12 inches cut off. This was 10 months ago and my thin hair hasn't grown any thicker. It is horrible. Still growing in thin and stringy. I have spent so much money on trying to fix it. This was an assault! And it should be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care