Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times

Advertisements

My hair is a very dark brown with auburn highlights. I want to color is a soft medium brown. What color should I use to lighten it up? I know not to use any color with an ash in it. Should I use like a dark blonde? I only have one salon near me and last time I went they did a bad job at color and everything else. It is a real old fashion salon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
I don't suggest you lighten at home. The problem w/ getting a dark blonde is that you're almost certain to wind up w/ an orange cast to your hair. The peroxides just aren't strong enough. If you do have no other alternative, got to a beauty supply store and get some professional strength lightener to apply. When you've got your hair to the LIGHTNESS you want, then you can use a store bought color over the top of if w/ out much trouble.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
The last time I got it lightened at the salon they had to take all the red out first. I think I need to travel far and have a salon do it then.
Thanx....

Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 AM

good idea. i just went from red to platinum. it was a huge process to get all the gold/orange out. i could never have done it at home.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:12 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
My hair is a very dark brown with auburn highlights. I want to color is a soft medium brown. What color should I use to lighten it up? I know not to use any color with an ash in it. Should I use like a dark blonde? I only have one salon near me and last time I went they did a bad job at color and everything else. It is a real old fashion salon.
The color you wish to achieve is difficult without going to a salon. The reason I say this is because you want lighter brown but have dark brown with auburn highlights. You will probably NEED an ash color to keep too much red from coming through but the right one will take an expert haircolorist. Don't go to any random salon. Go to one that has a colorist that has been trained in recent years or at least keeps up on current tools and techniques. Color is tricky and you need to understand what colors to use to cancel out unwanted colors which takes an understanding of the color wheel (you use an ash to cancel reds, you use a violet base to cancel out yellow, you use a red to cancel out ash, etc). The hardest client I ever had was an Asian male that wanted light brown hair. If I recall, it was a 3 step process and he wouldn't have achieved the look himself. It is WELL worth the price from the get-go because you may end up spending FAR more having a pro correct your work. Many salons charge an hourly rate for corrective color because they can be tricky. When I refused to color my sisters hair (she felt she shouldn't have to pay me) it cost her close to $400 to get back to blonde from red. This was over 10 years ago and I have no idea what it would cost now.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM

Haha. I just went from red to platinum at a local smalltown salon. I am shocked how well it turned out! It was a long process, hurt a little, and there were many steps. But the girl who did it took her time and made it as gradual as possible so as to damage my hair as little as she could. It is shoulder length and still soft and shiny! I had a picture of Grace Kelly w/ me and it was very important that the color be as close to the photo as possible. From what I can tell, it matches exactly and there is no brassiness to it.

And you know what? For cut, color, and eyebrow wax....85.00! That's right. So don't assume that just because a salon isnt upscale, the colorists don't know what they're doing. A little 'cheat' tip: Call an upscale salon and ask to speak to a reknowned colorist that has a reputation for being fabulous. Tell them you want to lighten your hair but are afraid and ask them if they'll run through the process with you and let you know what is involved. Ask them what products they use and why. They're anxious for your business so they'll be happy to oblige. Then, call an inexpensive place and ask for THEIR best colorist. Ask the same questions. If the processes and products are largely the same, you're probably in good hands w/the cheap place-even if you don't get the pampering of the classy joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care